Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#102781 - 04/18/03 11:15 AM Card Collecting Software
strider
Hobbyist

Loc: Washington State

Does anyone use software to track their collections? If so, do you have any advice regarding the various software options? What ones work best for you, which to avoid. Did you purchase retail software, or create your own database? Any comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

#102782 - 04/21/03 04:51 AM becket.com [Re: strider]
estang
(S)uper Collector

is what I recommend because it is:

1. free
2. online
3. kept updated

The drawback is creating reports with beckett.com. However, I found that you can copy and paste the screen into a excel document, make some minor tweaking and you've got a very good hardcopy report to use for shows.

Erik

#102783 - 04/24/03 10:41 AM Re: becket.com [Re: estang]
strider
Hobbyist

Loc: Washington State

Thanks for your suggestion. Boy, these boards are dead. Seems like all the good posts and posters have been disheartened by the trolls, making this a ghost town. It's a shame a well-meaning forum is reduced to a trickle of information.
#102784 - 04/24/03 12:27 PM Re: becket.com [Re: strider]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Hi Daniel,

I just keep mine in a 123 spreadsheet with the set, card#, cert #, value etc. The drag about about this approach is that you need to spend a good bit of time with an SMR to update the values. As such, I do it about once a year..but, I figure at least I have an inventory just in case.

Are you (or Erik) aware of anything that can actually link to either SMR or Beckett on-line?

Scott

#102785 - 04/24/03 03:55 PM Re: Card Collecting Software [Re: strider]
chuckster
Hobbyist

Loc: Louisiana

I use Beckett Collector Connection software which I've had for over a year now. The CD package states that pricing updates are available online. I've never tried to update it, I use it more as checklist software. It is a pretty good product - you can create different reports to print out, etc. You might check their website to see if they still offer it.
#102786 - 04/26/03 03:40 AM Beckett collector CD is worthless....here's why [Re: chuckster]
estang
(S)uper Collector

First, let me say that if you are looking for a way to track your collection for a checklist / want list perspective then Beckett.com is the way to go.

For free you can create checklists/want lists that you can sort by year/set and card number. It is kept up to date with new sets on a regular basis.

IT'S FREE.

I have the Beckett CD collection software and it was worthless. The product is defunct from Beckett's perspective. I only received it when I signed up to become a "silver" member that allowed me freen online price guide, 4 graded cards, magazine subscription and their CD. The CD was worthless because it never interfaced with beckett.com and their pricing / new checklists. Never worked. Beckett responded back and said there's known problems and they won't be corrected because their online beckett.com is better anyway.

Now if you need pricing for your checklist/want list then I would recommend purchasing it once a year as an online subscription. Do you really need pricing each month? Maybe with new product you do. Other than that, the best pricing is through an ebay search of completed auctions. Beckett is off-base/out-of-date with their pricing guides. I've suggested to them that they need to align themselves with ebay. C'mon is "The Pit" a joke or what. I never even bother to look at it. If you want to know what a card is selling for on the truest form of the open market (ebay) then just do a search. I'd love to have this information of auctions compiled into a Beckett like format online. However, I think the industry in general would be averse to see how the majority of cards are selling way below what their price guides say. The exception to that is in graded cards.

Another thing. Beckett.com is the worse laid out / navigation un-friendly web site I've come across. It is full of so much junk ads and BS that they really do a dis-service to themselves. Celebriducks noted prominantly on their home page has to be the dumbest sports collectible I've ever seen. Who wants a figurine of their favorite player/team in the form of a half duck half human form. C'mon !!! Who in the hell thought that one up. Amazing!

Erik

#102787 - 04/26/03 05:21 AM Re: becket.com [Re: strider]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Strider > I hear you... I must say respectfully that I'd love to see the number of your posts (9) jump up. Sometimes you are your own best ally in these things....I mean good posters attract good posts -- so post more!!

#102788 - 04/26/03 08:45 AM Re: becket.com [Re: vayank]
chuckster
Hobbyist

Loc: Louisiana

Erik,
Good to know. I'm glad I never tried to update the pricing for the Collector Connection software.

#102789 - 04/26/03 09:00 AM Re: becket.com [Re: chuckster]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I just use excel. It's easy and best of all FREE.

I bought a collection software off ebay about three years ago. It was ok
but I don't even use it anymore. I might once I complete some of the
red man sets. But to be honest the set registries do almost everything
the software I bought does.

aconte

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 3 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.