Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#124 - 06/23/02 02:18 PM Re: The future of modern graded cards?
Anonymous Unregistered

True parents and grandparents collections were thrown away but in the 70s card conventions started popping up and people kept cards in good shape just like today.
Cards from the 70s are limited but some cards were taken care of and some were double-printed too. Overall I agree that cards from the 70s are harder to find in good shape,so the value will be more stable then todays cards that are coming out.

#125 - 06/23/02 02:28 PM Re: The future of modern graded cards? [Re: Fabfrank]
Anonymous Unregistered

The inserts are neat looking that's for sure. Game-Used Jerseys and Bats are interesting too. I will look into them further before I buy. I don't own too many inserts. No Game-Used Jerseys or Bats yet.

Now I'm getting a craving for premium modern cards.

#126 - 06/23/02 03:28 PM Re: The future of modern graded cards?
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Before I got into my '77 SGC set, I focused on SGC 98 Gem of young up and comers and HOFers. The 98 grade guarantees some scarcity. And there is some satisfaction own a card beautiful enough to be a SGC gem.

#127 - 07/12/02 10:24 AM Re: The future of modern graded cards?
vic6string
The Collectinator

Loc: Miami, Florida

I am pretty much out of collecting as an investment too, and plan to sell off most of my collection other than the stuff I like just for the sake of having it. The sportscard makers have cut their own heads off. When I was a kid, I collected sets and all the cards of my favorite players. At one point, I had every card made of Steve Garvey, and almost every Nolan Ryan (missing about 3). These were both players with (at that point) long prestigous careers. This amounted to something like 90-100 cards (and that is including league leaders, allstars, record breakers, etc, even Kellogs and Post cereal and Ralston Purina cards) Now, players like Barry Bonds and Derek Jeter might have 100 cards in any given year!!! Aside from this, you have two choices, you can buy the cheap stuff that is virtually worthless, or you can spend literally thousands of dollars trying to make that one hot set. And you don't know what the hot set is until the season is doen because last year's best set always gets outdaone the next year. Then you get to wait a few years and watch the price guides inch slowly down while the real world prices plummet! Aside from this, the sports themselves have changed. My favorite team growing up was the LA Dodgers. Every year, I knew Garvey was on first, Cey at third, Lopes at second, Russell at SS, and either Yeager or Sciosia catching. Now teams can't be held together with crazy glue for more than 3 or 4 seasons (and that's just the Yankees). I know alot of collectors who have outright quit, and I can't blame them. Now I make the Topps football set every year for 2 reasons: 1) I want to catalog my favorite sport year by year, and 2) it is the only company where I can go back 30 or 40 years and make a full set. Not All Topps, mind you, just Topps (and the chrome and finest and other sets I have already made).
#128 - 07/22/02 01:18 PM Re: The future of modern graded cards? [Re: vic6string]
wolvergeek
The Collectinator

Loc: Michigan

Totally agree with you Vic. I am going to be selling off all of my BGS 9 football cards this August/September and bailing on this ridiculous hobby. Too many sets, too many #d rookies (some who never even play a game!), too many gimmicks.
#129 - 08/04/02 08:48 AM Re: The future of modern graded cards? [Re: wolvergeek]
HonusWagner
Hobbyist

Loc: Toronto, Ontario

The best modern day cards to collect are SP Authentic Rookies, they are #'ed and very high in demand and because of that they are worth a lot.

HW

#130 - 08/23/02 08:07 PM Re: The future of modern graded cards?
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

I am new to the board..hello all...here is my speal on the story....im a 25 yr old who like most re-entered collecting in 99 after the debacle of greedy card companie in the early 90s (ie bullpoop inserts...hahaha..how much for a 92 griffey fleer ultra award winners insert now!). At any rate, i have gotten into vintage collecting recently, and done so at a great cost...ive been selling my modern graded cards for almost half of what i paid in order to gain the capital.......for example i sold a psa 10 couch sp authentic for 450 wheni paid 650....etc etc... what did i buy??? i bought some graded 56 topps cards like mantle and mays, bank and koufax....i bought a Aaron RC graded nm with centering. At any rate, i did this cause as a formerly stupid collector, i have seen the light that vintage maintain value, while modern is more (what have u donefor me lately)- take bonds for ex, lastyear he is going toward a record.. GOING TOWARD... rc 87 fleer was 150 in mint this time last year...now its 50... and he HAS the record and even entered a more elite hr group and is heading toward a possible batting title. What does this mean?? It means the collecting world is rather idiotic and unworthy of trust....so dont trust it...."invest" in the earlier years cause like a fine wine..it just gets better!!! I know i know..everyone went out and bought a bonds RC...and now ..everyone has one and nobody wants it...so dealers lower the price....well...everyone CANT have a 56 mantle...so the value stays stable or increases...ok im done rambling...let me know what ya think

#131 - 08/24/02 03:43 AM Re: The future of modern graded cards? [Re: Lothar52]
chuckster
Hobbyist

Loc: Louisiana

Although I do believe there are still good deals and cards to be found in the modern products, I also have shifted my collecting focus to vintage only. As we all know, there are simply too many modern brands and issues. I guess it's good that the consumer has a chance to choose favorites, but I prefer the simpler days of card collecting. The future of modern graded cards? - I believe the market will find its own level. As long as there are sports fans, people will have their favorites that they will collect.
#132 - 08/24/02 05:08 PM Re: The future of modern graded cards?
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

here is my theory on the the future of modern cards...graded or not....

its quiteeasy to see what the card companies are doing... in 98 when SP authentic football and SPx(america sport I should add bot not americas hobby love...strange eh..)came out with # rookies the hobby went mad.... it literally brought me back into collecting...6 yrs i was gone. The card companies KNEW IT TOO... they thought..ok..we have to limit the supply..but we need to sell mass in order to keep the profits going up and not just make for example one set..the popular set...can u imagine... UD comes out and says...no more CRAP rookies that willl sell on ebay for 10 cents after the initial 10 dollar buzz wears of... we just make SP Authentic and SPX and call it at that across the board... so... then it came.. using fleer as an example from the first and last yeari got back into mass collecting...1999..... Fleer tradition, Fleer Ultra, Fleer Mystique, Fleer Focus, Fleer Flair showcase, skybox metal, skybox premium, skyboxwhatever..... the point it they now all say limited...but they didnt limit anything...a mcnabb ROOKIE mystique #2999 is now available for 10bucks compared to 30to40 when it came otu cause people realized the market is still flooded with MCNABB in GENERAL.... hence this is the reason why there are too many sets... to trick us into thinking everything is rare and there still producing mass cards just switching out the plates and making a "different version" of the same years cards... jesus were we all galable or what.. stick with topps from 54 to early 80s.... cant go wrong with them..they were made before greed entered the hobby in not only the dreaded dealer...but the d#$% card companies as well.

however for the future is there a way to get back to the good ole days?? no way..not when they can do there current system..sell boxes of 3 cards/pack for 5 bucks a pack (ridiculous) and the idiot masses. My advice is to buy sp authentic for football.... but wait till they are estabilished..never buy right away... who knowswho thenext akili smith / ryan leaf is and u dont want to getburned... forget about set making... its impossible for the real high end cards... maybe if u really want one go with UD VICTORY??? or tradition??? anyway...it will never be like it was .... so just stick to the old and remmeber the good ole days.... i just shutter at our kids.... they wont everbe able to collect nothing but victory!

#133 - 10/13/02 04:48 AM Re: The future of modern graded cards? [Re: wolvergeek]
Anonymous Unregistered

I'm basically bailing from this hobby also, but for more reasons than that. I will keep my vintage and so-called "unreleased" cards. May even get those graded.
Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.