Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1151312 - 04/06/06 06:49 PM Values of cards graded by SGC
Triple Crown
Learning the Ropes

Hello All,
I'm new to the forum, but having read over some of the older threads, I will not drag you through an old debate here on SGC vs. PSA. But I am curious about two things. I love many things about SGC grading and I'm leaning towards having my cards (1909-1984)graded by them. Of course PSA advocates beat up hard on SGC but I know what I like and don't really care. So my questions are....

1)The sale values of SGC graded cards:
Are they substantially lower than PSA graded card? Does anyone have any comparitive sale values they might share as examples(same card, SGC/PSA sale amounts) just so I can get an idea what to expect.

2)I was told that anything Pre-war should be sent to SGC but anything after that should be sent to PSA. Is there reliability in SGC's grading of "Post-war" cards, let's say up until about 1985? And if so how does that tie in to question #1 above?

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks very much
TC

#1151313 - 04/06/06 07:48 PM Re: Values of cards graded by SGC [Re: Triple Crown]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

To my knowledge, no one has conducted an official study, but many here have anecdotal evidence. Mine involves eBay sales of 1959 Topps baseball. SGC commons in NM 84 sold for about 1/3 the prices of PSA 7 commons during 2005.

For higher grades, the gap is not as wide in my experience, but PSA does sell for more, simply because of supply and demand imbalances. The PSA registry has over 20,000 entries (though not all are active). SGC registered sets are much less in number.

If you're grading for resale, you might conclude to go with PSA, all else being equal. If you're grading for keepsake, it could be a very different decision. In that case, accuracy, consistency and eye appeal of the cards in the holders have to play a part in your decision. The half grades can be a blessing and a curse, too.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1151314 - 04/07/06 05:28 AM Re: Values of cards graded by SGC [Re: bbo]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I think the comments above are accurate and I'll add just a little more.

On resale value, my experience is that it is a function of the value of the card. Vintage HOFers in high grade appear to sell for similar amounts in either holder.
Sometimes there is a premium for half grades, sometimes not. For commons from the 50's-70's, bbo is correct -- PSA slabs sell for significantly more based on the strength of their registry.

I think all of this reflects the cross over costs -- something like $7 to get the card into the holder of your choice. On a couple hundred card, the cross over costs are negligible. On a $20 card, it is significant.

If your cards are 80's and later, you also might want to consider BGS if resale value is your primary concern.

#1151315 - 04/07/06 04:25 PM Re: Values of cards graded by SGC [Re: Triple Crown]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

Quote:

Hello All,
I'm new to the forum, but having read over some of the older threads, I will not drag you through an old debate here on SGC vs. PSA. But I am curious about two things. I love many things about SGC grading and I'm leaning towards having my cards (1909-1984)graded by them. Of course PSA advocates beat up hard on SGC but I know what I like and don't really care. So my questions are....

1)The sale values of SGC graded cards:
Are they substantially lower than PSA graded card? Does anyone have any comparitive sale values they might share as examples(same card, SGC/PSA sale amounts) just so I can get an idea what to expect.

2)I was told that anything Pre-war should be sent to SGC but anything after that should be sent to PSA. Is there reliability in SGC's grading of "Post-war" cards, let's say up until about 1985? And if so how does that tie in to question #1 above?

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks very much
TC

Welcome to the board. Hope to see you become a regular poster.

I would disagree about knowledgable PSA consumers beating up on SGC. In fact, the more experienced collectors are typically very complimentary and also have SGC cards in their collection.

From on open mind perspective on cards from 1909-1985, I think if a global poll was conducted, you would get the following results:

1. 1909-1945 = SGC
2. 1946-1979 = PSA
3. 1980-1985 = BGS

1. SGC values for pre-war cards (commons and stars) on Pre-War cards are on par or better than PSA prices. Star cards from 1946-85 in SGC slabs are on par with PSA. Gem Mint 10 cards and Mint Common PSA cards regularly sell for more than SGC cards because of registry competition. I view this ridiculous practice as very similar to the internet bubble.

2. Whomever told you to send pre-War cards to SGC was a wise man. As far as post war, if you plan to send in a significant amount of high grade commons for re-sale, the advice about PSA was also sound.

So to some extent, it really depends on your personal needs e.g. resale of commons, personal preservations, self submitting, only buy already graded etc.

Over time, there are a couple of key things that keep me with SGC:

1. The guarantee. Take a look, nobody backs their product like SGC.
2. Half grades. People love them, people hate them, I like them.
3. Consistency/Acuracy. SGCmake mistakes, but they are the most consistent and accurate company. They also stand up and take responsibility for erorrs (guarantee).
4. Look of holder: My favorite.
5. No membership club: I think the mandated $99 membership fee by PSA sucks.
6. I do not sell high grade commons: Probably the main selling point for PSA.
7. I do not believe or pay big money for the mythical GEM MINT 10 card: On any given day a sharp Mint 9 card can be a 10. I never pay more for a 10. It is not worth it. Another main selling point of PSA.
8. Finally, before I did I will have to cross all my cards over to the "biggest" grading company in 2030, which will probably not be any of the current players. So I am going to stick with who I like and trust for the moment.

#1151316 - 04/08/06 04:34 PM Re: Values of cards graded by SGC [Re: FYS]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

My 1952-55 red man cards are mostly all graded by Sgc. I don't sell often but
it doesn't usually matter what holder the card is in (Sgc or Psa). More important
is the grade, player, or luck that might affect ebay auction price.

aconte

#1978673 - 12/23/08 10:24 AM Re: Values of cards graded by SGC [Re: aconte]
estang
(S)uper Collector

There's an annual members fee of $99 (1 year) or $179 (2 years)to even submit to PSA. They market this as a "privilege" on their web site. Outside of a country club or a discount warehouse like Costco, I don't like to pay a "membership fee" for something that has such a low value proposition.

I suggest you start with SGC on a sample of all your cards. They are running great specials right now ($5 and $6).

The biggest thing you need to determine is why are you gradin them. Personal keepsake or resale? I agree with much of the comments above.

Thanks Erik

Erik

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.