Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1152934 - 04/07/06 11:08 PM Values of cards graded by SGC... Part 2
Triple Crown
Learning the Ropes

With helpful responses from bbo, srs1a, and FYS (Thanks guys !!!) on my original post I thought I might fine tune my question in hopes of narrowing down my final choices. Also I thought this might let you know a little more about me and what my intentions are.....

The most important cards I am looking to have graded are "stars" from between 1955 and 1969. These include players like Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Williams etc..

Any random cards I have from 1970 -1986 are also star players like Seaver, Ryan, Aaron, Clemente

My "pre-War" cards are not necessarily of stars (except for my 1909 T-206 Ty Cobb), but are interesting specimens of various years of baseball history.

All my cards I bought for different reasons randomly over time. I am a HUGE baseball fan and having been born in 1962 I grew up with the stars on my "favorites" listed above.(the 1955's-1969's) I don't plan on selling them in the immediate future as I am not in the card "business", and I just LOVE my cards. But should the need arise or the right opportunity in the future, I'd like to have them graded and slabbed appropriately to hopefully draw the highest price for them. It really does seem to me that in many ways SGC cards are drawing similar sale values to PSA on star players cards. It also seems that that trend can only get better as SGC continues to grow, making the speculation of using them that much more solid?

I don't know that I understand the PSA advantage in price as it relates to larger "registries"? I also notice the obsession with PSA collectors for "sets" and perfect "GEM MINT 10's", which is far from my interest.

So given the years and cards I've listed, and my reasons for wanting to get graded, does it seem like SGC would be the right fit???

Thanks again
TC

#1152935 - 04/08/06 08:10 AM Re: Values of cards graded by SGC... Part 2 [Re: Triple Crown]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

Quote:

The most important cards I am looking to have graded are "stars" from between 1955 and 1969. Any random cards I have from 1970 -1986 are also star players like Seaver, Ryan, Aaron, Clemente

My "pre-War" cards are not necessarily of stars (except for my 1909 T-206 Ty Cobb), but are interesting specimens of various years of baseball history.

I don't plan on selling them in the immediate future as I am not in the card "business", and I just LOVE my cards. It also seems that that trend can only get better as SGC continues to grow, making the speculation of using them that much more solid?

I don't know that I understand the PSA advantage in price as it relates to larger "registries"? I also notice the obsession with PSA collectors for "sets" and perfect "GEM MINT 10's", which is far from my interest.

Thanks again
TC

I think your needs fit very well with SGC's strenghts. You are grading star cards, which garner similar prices to PSA. You want to preserve your cards, which you you love. SGC is widely thought of to have the most attractive slab and they also have the half grades.

I think one of SGC greatest strenghts is the trust advanced collectors have in pre-War cards. I see little doubt that this sucess over time will carry over significantly in the 1946-1980 area.

As far as the PSA advanatage with high grade commons and GEM Mint 10 specimans. This advantage is real, as there is some intense competition in the PSA registry for the "best" set. SGC is trying to leverage their registry this year with the "Best of the Best" competion, with total prizes up to $100,000. I believe if they continue this contest in the future, it will create more competition on the SGC registry and bolster some of the common card pricing.

In the scheme of things, I think it is a thousand fold more important for SGC to be considered the best company for Pre-War cards, the most consistent/accurate company, the most customer friendly and having the most attractive holders than to have the single advantage that overzealous collectors pay large premiums for GEM Mint 10 & Mint 9 commons.

Good luck with your collection regarless of your choice.

#1152936 - 04/08/06 01:09 PM Re: Values of cards graded by SGC... Part 2 [Re: FYS]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

I think the only way SGC will grow in the future is to get more people like you collecting SGC graded cards. Without more collectors buying from dealer websites, Ebay and submitting cards to them it will be an uphill battle to stay competitive with pricing and quality. I also think they need to get more collectors from all era's not just pre war collectors. If nobody is buying modern stars in SGC holders they will lose out on an endless supply of cards that are being produced every month.I hope when they update their registry they add player sets because that can only mean more submissions from guys like me that collect certain players regardless of year or value.
I would say you can't lose with SGC on the cards you mentioned. Those type players and cards sell regardless of the holder. Since you mentioned that your not a dealer I would submit 10 or 15 of the best cards you have and see if you like the quality of SGC. If you don't no harm no foul.

#1152937 - 04/08/06 01:57 PM Re: Values of cards graded by SGC... Part 2 [Re: jackstraw]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

Quote:

I think the only way SGC will grow in the future is to get more people like you collecting SGC graded cards. Without more collectors buying from dealer websites, Ebay and submitting cards to them it will be an uphill battle to stay competitive with pricing and quality. I also think they need to get more collectors from all era's not just pre war collectors. If nobody is buying modern stars in SGC holders they will lose out on an endless supply of cards that are being produced every month.I hope when they update their registry they add player sets because that can only mean more submissions from guys like me that collect certain players regardless of year or value.
I would say you can't lose with SGC on the cards you mentioned. Those type players and cards sell regardless of the holder. Since you mentioned that your not a dealer I would submit 10 or 15 of the best cards you have and see if you like the quality of SGC. If you don't no harm no foul.

Totally agree on the player registry.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.