Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#1265971 - 07/11/06 07:53 AM Re: Crossover results [Re: FYS]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

This is the third '59 set I've put together since the early 90's. A former collecting friend of mine had a complete set when he was a kid and he remembers ordering a complete set from a magazine in 1959. His mom threw his collection out when he went to college in the late '60s. He fully educated me on the cards and the era in general. I was hooked.

He and I labored to replace his set. As the trek steepened, he lost interest in going to the shows and agonizing over boxes and boxes of commons to find one or two that fit his requirements. He was both a centering and corners freak.

So I'd go to the shows and pick up cards I needed for other sets and if I found nice '59 commons, I'd get them, too and resell to him at cost.

He ended up with a high grade set, missing only Mantle. He also had a partial near set in ExMt to NrMt grade. I ended up buying that back from him.

At a show in 1998 or 1999, I was behind the table of a dealer friend when a '59 set came by in a binder around closing time. It had two Gibsons, one in SGC 88 and one NrMt, probably equivalent to an 84. About 10% of the commons were pristine and an equal percentage were slop with the rest in between. My dealer friend bought the set, took the better Gibson and flipped the binder to me.

I merged it with what I had, made two sets, sold the lesser one on ebay for what I had in the pair and began grading what was left over. My Registry set is the result of those efforts.

I know there is at least one better raw set out there, but I have no contact with my original buddy who has it. My guess is that it's still missing the Mantle, but I'm quite sure it's loaded with potential 8's and 9's.

I may continue to upgrade mine, but I have no designs on beginning any other set. Nothing matches the colorful 1959's and the challenge is sufficient to keep me occupied. The set behind me on the SGC Registry and the #1 set on the PSA Registry are so light years ahead of reality, I can't imagine the money those two guys have tied up. I'm at the other end of the extreme: NM+ to NM/MT on a $hoe$tring is fine and dandy.

Edited by bbo (07/11/06 08:38 AM)
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1265972 - 07/11/06 03:52 PM Re: Crossover results [Re: bbo]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

Great story!

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 11 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.