Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1286331 - 07/18/06 09:58 AM Advice on selling card collection
ywenli
Learning the Ropes

Hi, I was hoping you all had some thoughts and suggestions for someone trying to sell all their baseball and other misc cards that they owned. I primarily have baseball cards from 1987-1989 with the few odd rookie cards from earlier years like a Fleer Mattingly and Topps Ozzie Smith...I also have a mix of older misc cards from 1976-1984, but most are not the highest grade.

From the prices in Beckett, I don't think many are worth submitting for grading since they are mostly under $10 each according to my book. Pretty much all the 1987-1989 cards were just stored for the last 17 years so they are all in NM-Mint shape.

Anyways, I was planning to sell all the higher value cards and the popular players (like Nolan Ryan, Griffey, Barry Bonds, Macguire, Conseco and any card over $1) as an individual auction set like:
1) Barry Bonds Donruss 87-1 card, 88-5 cards, 89-5 cards, Bowman 89-3 cards, Tops-4 cards, Upperdeck 89-2 cards
2) Sheffield Donruss 89-8 cards, Bowman 89-2cards, Upperdeck 89-1 card, Topps 89-3 cards
3) Griffey Donruss 89-6 cards, Bowman 89-2 cards
4) Bo Jackson a mix of 20 football and baseball rookie and other cards
etc...

Is this a good way to move them for a half decent price on eBay (or is there a better place) or way such as selling each one individually or selling them by year like 1989 Donruss, 1989 Fleer, etc? I assume with the shipping, it'd be better to sell them in lots and by player.

After selling all the higher valued cards, does anyone have any suggestions as to selling the rest of the 1984 Fleer commons or other commons from Donruss 88, 89? I have a large amount of these and wasn't sure if stores even buy them anymore and for how much.

Thank you for your time and advice.

#1286332 - 07/18/06 04:26 PM Re: Advice on selling card collection [Re: ywenli]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

Quote:

Hi, I was hoping you all had some thoughts and suggestions for someone trying to sell all their baseball and other misc cards that they owned. I primarily have baseball cards from 1987-1989 with the few odd rookie cards from earlier years like a Fleer Mattingly and Topps Ozzie Smith...I also have a mix of older misc cards from 1976-1984, but most are not the highest grade.

From the prices in Beckett, I don't think many are worth submitting for grading since they are mostly under $10 each according to my book. Pretty much all the 1987-1989 cards were just stored for the last 17 years so they are all in NM-Mint shape.

Anyways, I was planning to sell all the higher value cards and the popular players (like Nolan Ryan, Griffey, Barry Bonds, Macguire, Conseco and any card over $1) as an individual auction set like:
1) Barry Bonds Donruss 87-1 card, 88-5 cards, 89-5 cards, Bowman 89-3 cards, Tops-4 cards, Upperdeck 89-2 cards
2) Sheffield Donruss 89-8 cards, Bowman 89-2cards, Upperdeck 89-1 card, Topps 89-3 cards
3) Griffey Donruss 89-6 cards, Bowman 89-2 cards
4) Bo Jackson a mix of 20 football and baseball rookie and other cards
etc...

Is this a good way to move them for a half decent price on eBay (or is there a better place) or way such as selling each one individually or selling them by year like 1989 Donruss, 1989 Fleer, etc? I assume with the shipping, it'd be better to sell them in lots and by player.

After selling all the higher valued cards, does anyone have any suggestions as to selling the rest of the 1984 Fleer commons or other commons from Donruss 88, 89? I have a large amount of these and wasn't sure if stores even buy them anymore and for how much.

Thank you for your time and advice.

I aplogize for the negative news, but the cards from this era sell for a very small percentage of the Beckett price e.g. 1%-10%. I would recommend selling the entire lot as a collection on eBay with good scans of your best cards. I have a generic rule of thumb that any card valued at $100 in Beckett is probably worth grading, regardless of condition. Cards in the $10-$40 range need to be in bascically mint condition to make it worth while to grade, as in many cases they will sell more in raw condition. Cards from $40 - $100 are also probably worth grading ,if they are mid-grade or better cards of HOF'ers.

In any case, my assumption is that you will do best, with time as a consideration in the equation, with one big lot with good scans.

#1286333 - 07/19/06 08:55 AM Re: Advice on selling card collection [Re: FYS]
ywenli
Learning the Ropes

Thanks for your thoughts! Yeah, it sounds like that maybe just how it is. I think with most collectibles (comics & cards) anything pre 1970 just seems to be too large in supply. With high shipping costs as a factor, I'll probably just try to do larger lots to move a lot of the items. I don't think complete sets seem to do well with how much they weigh.

Does anyone know if stores in the bay area buy anything anymore for their own stock? Even at the 10% or 1% prices? How useful is Craig's list selling in the bay area to avoid shipping costs?

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.