Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1365504 - 09/12/06 09:52 AM Newbie alert: buying pre-graded cards (instead of sending in for grade)
Powajemes
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Denver

I'm new to the sports card forum so bear with me. I've been doing some research on the best card grading companies yada yada yada. I don't want to get into that debate again. However, I would like advice from collectors out there. See, from what I've seen, it looks like many of you on here send in raw cards to be graded. I'm not sure I have the time or energy or knowledge to hunt down raw cards to be graded.

What I do want are older Packers cards (starting to collect going backward from 1980) in mint(ish) condition. I also want to have my entire collection to be housed in the same type holder (all PSA or all SGC or whatever) for consistency.

So, here's the delimna. SGC seems to be the graders of choice, however, finding Packers cards on ebay graded by SGC seems difficult (based on one or two searches). I can find some in PSA in the grade I like, and thus start a collection, but I'm not sure availability should be what makes me choose a company.

Maybe I've just answered my own question...or maybe I don't know what my question is. I just hesitate to start buying PSA, but SGC looks like it could be forever before I find any of the cards I want for sale. Heck, maybe I just need to do more research...

Thoughts?

#1365505 - 09/12/06 12:42 PM Re: Newbie alert: buying pre-graded cards (instead of sending in for grade) [Re: Powajemes]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

I hear you. Completing sets in SGC holders will take a looooooong time. There are just flat out a dearth of cards already graded by SGC (in the years I collect) compared to PSA. Heck, they're pushing 10 million over there (or so they claim). It's like the number of burgers McDonald's has served. (After a couple of thousand, you begin to ask yourself, "Do I really want another one?")

Here are your choices, based on my experience.

1) Find a raw source (probably not eBay if you truly want mint(ish) cards. Try hobby stores, weekend shows, bigger regional shows or save up your money for the National. Be picky at first, but submit a few to see how good of an eye you have.

2) Buy already-graded PSA cards and crack 'em out for submission to SGC. Don't get into bidding wars or you'll burn out fast. Pick up the low hanging fruit and stay within a budget.

I've done pretty well on both counts, so I'm confident it can be done. Finally, don't give up until you run out of money. Our hobby needs you.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1365506 - 09/12/06 12:52 PM Re: Newbie alert: buying pre-graded cards (instead of sending in for grade) [Re: bbo]
Powajemes
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, bbo.

How easy is it to crack 'em out of PSA holders?

#1365507 - 09/12/06 03:35 PM Re: Newbie alert: buying pre-graded cards (instead of sending in for grade) [Re: Powajemes]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

Good advice from bbo. Also, depending how big your budget is, the SGC Packer cards that do pop up, may be enough to take care of your budget?

#1365508 - 09/12/06 04:07 PM Re: Newbie alert: buying pre-graded cards (instead of sending in for grade) [Re: FYS]
Powajemes
Carpal Tunnel

Right now, my budget is tiny. I need to get my feet wet. So I doubt any one card will burst my budget...well, if I test the waters. Who knows if I can resist.

Keep in mind I want to get commons, too, so I'm not even sure I'd be doing too much SGC stuff for the time being.

#1365509 - 09/12/06 04:37 PM Re: Newbie alert: buying pre-graded cards (instead of sending in for grade) [Re: Powajemes]
FYS

Quote:

Right now, my budget is tiny. I need to get my feet wet. So I doubt any one card will burst my budget...well, if I test the waters. Who knows if I can resist.

Keep in mind I want to get commons, too, so I'm not even sure I'd be doing too much SGC stuff for the time being.

If your budget is tiny, then the smaller selection of SGC slabs should not be that big of a deal.

#1365510 - 09/12/06 04:41 PM Re: Newbie alert: buying pre-graded cards (instead of sending in for grade) [Re: FYS]
FYS

The below may be a good link for you to bookmark. There is usually not too many, so it is easy to look through the whole list, as many people will not list Packers in the description. Just within the first few items for sale is a Reggie White USFL rookie card. I do not know if you only collect players in a Green Bay uniform? Hope it helps.

SGC Graded Football Cards on eBay

Edited by FYS (09/12/06 04:42 PM)

#1365511 - 09/12/06 05:58 PM Re: Newbie alert: buying pre-graded cards (instead of sending in for grade) [Re: FYS]
Powajemes
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the link. I only collect Topps, and only Packers (in unis). But I'll keep looking. I'm just really, really, really jonesin' to buy.
#1365512 - 09/13/06 05:16 AM Re: Newbie alert: buying pre-graded cards (instead of sending in for grade) [Re: Powajemes]
Powajemes
Carpal Tunnel

Now I have to debate between paying more for 10s or just sticking with 9s. Good grief, this is a lot to think about.
#1365513 - 09/13/06 05:29 AM Re: Newbie alert: buying pre-graded cards (instead of sending in for grade) [Re: Powajemes]
aconte

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Quote:

Now I have to debate between paying more for 10s or just sticking with 9s. Good grief, this is a lot to think about.

In my opinion you should stick with the 9s. Three reasons:

1) You say your budget is tiny. 10s can cost you as there is a greater chance
of a bidding war on those cards.

2) And to me even more important is that I find that 10s can be over-rated.
8s and 9s are fine and in most cases look just as nice as the 10 grade. At
a fraction of the cost you are still getting nm/mt or mint cards. In most
cases I would bet if you covered the grade up on the holders you might not
even be able to tell the difference between the different cards.

3)If you chase the 10 grade you might find yourself passing up on some nice
cards too. It might make the chase less enjoyable and frustrating along the
way.

Save your money would be my advice and shoot for the 8s and 9s. You
won't be disappointed!

Good luck!

aconte

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.031 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.