Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1372940 - 09/19/06 07:46 AM Newbie Alert Part II: How fun is it to collect commons?
Powajemes
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Denver

You were all so helpful with my previous post, I thought I'd ask one more question. I hope you're willing to forgive a newbie asking for help.

My long term goal is to have every Packers Topps card. But, being new, I thought I'd start slow by first focusing on graded cards in the early 80s (I started collecting as a kid around this time). However, I've already realized that these cards for the most part are really easy to find and aren't that expensive. Although I'll be making progress on my goals, I'm a bit worried that getting a bunch of "commons" will just make me bored with my collection.

At the same time, however, I don't want to dive right into all of the good cards of the Packers from the 60s. They're harder to find and more expensive. Probably more fun to collect because of it, but it'd be a really slow build.

Anyone have suggestions on how to balance this? I want to focus and collect by year. If I go backwards in time, I think I'll get bored too quickly. If I start with the good stuff, I might only have two cards in my collection in six months.

#1372941 - 09/19/06 12:44 PM Re: Newbie Alert Part II: How fun is it to collect commons? [Re: Powajemes]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Commons and Packers.... isn't that an oxymoron? Aren't all Packers stars?

Seriously, though, I think I'd make a spreadsheet checklist with two current values, Raw Beckett and Graded Value in the condition I want to collect.

Subtotal by year to see what I'm up against. Then compare that to my monthly card budget.

I might accumulate some commons just to make progress on the list. Get a few from each year. Then every 2-3 months or so, reward myself by blowing a wad of money on a big star from the early days.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1372942 - 09/19/06 03:27 PM Re: Newbie Alert Part II: How fun is it to collect commons? [Re: bbo]
Powajemes
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Denver

I like that idea. I'm terrible with planning, but this would actually help.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.