Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#143799 - 06/16/03 11:37 PM Leland's new auction catalog -- Barry Bond's 73rd home run ball
MW1
veteran

Just received it in the mail the other day. Overall, it is very well done. General comments:

The interior layout is outstanding. I'm not entirely thrilled about the orange pages, but the rest of the color scheme and minimalist graphic design elements are superb. Overall, it's easy to read and very expertly crafted to highlight what is being offered. The cover, however, is somewhat too subtle for me. Of course, that's just my opinion. But then again, the auction is going to be broadcast live on ESPN (June 25th at 6 pm) so it probably doesn't really matter.

Mark McGwire's 70th home run ball sold in excess of $3 million. Any predictions on this one?

#143800 - 06/25/03 06:06 PM Update -- Barry Bond's 73rd home run ball [Re: MW1]
MW1
veteran

Baseball sells for $517,500.

ESPN Article

#143801 - 06/25/03 11:21 PM Re: Update -- Barry Bond's 73rd home run ball [Re: MW1]
botn
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Santa Monica, CA

There is nothing civil about Civil Litigation. My Grandfather frequently drilled into my head that the worst settlement is better than the best judgment. If this does not prove that then nothing will. They waited almost two years (probably motivated by greed) to sell the ball and during that time incurred enormous legal fees. OUCH!!!!

I suspect that the final hammer price does not leave them with much left after paying their legal fees.

#143802 - 06/25/03 11:50 PM Re: Update -- Barry Bond's 73rd home run ball [Re: botn]
MW1
veteran

Greg,

That maxim applies very well in this situation. One can only wonder what the baseball might have sold for directly after Bonds' MVP, record-breaking season. It is not inconceivable that even a 10% share of the proceeds (given an earlier auction date) might have surpassed a 50% post-legal fees share at the present date.

#143803 - 06/26/03 01:57 AM Re: Update -- Barry Bond's 73rd home run ball [Re: MW1]
estang
(S)uper Collector

I'm glad this ball went as low as it did. It reflects:

a. Current state of economy compared to the purchase of the McGwire ball
b. Bidders being somehat turned off by the hoopla of those & process involved
c. The receptiveness of Barry Bonds' image and perhaps those of Sosa, McGwire and Bonds combined as it relates to performance enhancing products discussion tainting the HR numbers put up.

PTI yesterday debated about this and Mike Wilbon made an excellent point that has always crossed my mind. What is so special about that ball that commands such a price when it looks like every other ball. He went on to say he'd rather have a Honus Wagner baseball card for that money than a plain old looking baseball.

I believe the ball has more value in the HOF than anywhere else. Good to see the winning bidder is looking to broker such a deal. A location that can create an experience around what was accomplished as opposed to just a ball enclosed in casing by itself.

side note: Asian American gentlemen quit his job to pursue the legal matter full-time and both parties were noted in SI to have the experience negatively affect their lives. Legal fees + lost income + "pain/suffering" = was it really worth it for them? I'd say no on the surface.

Edited by estang (06/26/03 02:03 AM)

Erik

#143804 - 06/26/03 04:49 AM Re: Update -- Barry Bond's 73rd home run ball [Re: estang]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Greed is an ugly thing.

#143805 - 06/26/03 06:27 AM Re: Update -- Barry Bond's 73rd home run ball [Re: vayank]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I agree that the two years it took really hurt the final sale price of this
ball. But I wonder if this ball really sold at a low price or did McGwire's
70 home run ball sell for an insanely high price? I mean three million
dollars for that ball. I'd rather have the T206 Honus Wagner too.
You would still have a lot of cash left over... Could even of persued
some of the nice cards BMW has had on ebay the last few months.
And still have cash left over!

To each his own I guess.

aconte

#143806 - 06/26/03 12:36 PM Re: Update -- Barry Bond's 73rd home run ball [Re: aconte]
botn
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Santa Monica, CA

McGwire's 70th for 3 Million is probably too high but not only was the economy stronger but the there was also a buzz in the air surrounding the Sosa/McGwire HR competition during that season. The two of them single-handedly revived baseball for a few moments and gave the fans something to really cheer about.

That said, while both Bonds and McGwire's accomplishments are important I think that there is far more historical significance to an Aaron 755th ball, a Ruth 714th ball, etc. I am not too fond of the game of baseball today. I think that you have to go back several decades to find the game behind the business.

Greg

#143807 - 06/26/03 11:00 PM Re: Update -- Barry Bond's 73rd home run ball [Re: estang]
limitededition
Learning the Ropes

They should have split the money from the ball in the beginning but both were too greedy and wanted all the money to themselves. 2 years later and half million later in legal fees, the judges declares the ball be sold and split 50-50. Why didn't we think of that before?
#143808 - 06/27/03 05:23 AM Re: Update -- Barry Bond's 73rd home run ball [Re: limitededition]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

So ... ignoring the fact that greed was at the heart of the problem here, and that most/all "profits" realized from the sale of the ball will be sucked dry by legal fees ...

which of the two owners do you think had the more legitimate claim to the ball (... and therefore, was the bigger loser in the deal)?

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 3 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.