Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#14393 - 10/15/02 05:22 PM Crash???
bronzejunkie
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Loc: Vancouver, BC

Hi, sports card collectors...

Over in the comic area of this sight, we have been discussing a possible crash in the comic market... We know that this happenned to you guys in the card world awhile back and are wondering how it affected the market and the collectiblility of cards in general... Did raw cards become worthless? Did graded? What didn't lose value? What did? Did gradeing your cards help with the crash or help slow it? We would love to know, give us your theories and stories as we all look forward to understanding it a little better.

'best

Bronzejunkie

#14394 - 11/21/02 01:24 AM Re: Crash??? [Re: bronzejunkie]
Anonymous Unregistered

I don't see a crash in the trading card business in the near future. The business draws new "customers" into the mix each and every year based on the fact that people love their sports and love to collect memorabilia of their heroes.

With graded cards, I see three phenomenon developing. First, grading takes away the subjectivity of a card's condition. With three major and respected grading companies, a person can feel satisfied knowing that a card they plunked down hard money for is truly a mint or near mint card. They can purchase with confidence that 1967 Mickey Mantle that brings back great memories knowing that the card is authentic and not altered in any way. It brings a level of price stability to the game, knowing (especially with vintage cards) that you truly have a rare and desireable collectible.

Second, the set registry system developed by SGC and PSA allows collectors the challenge of completing a treasured set in graded condition. It also allows dealers to see what cards are being collected so they can submit these issues for grading and continue to feed the market with product.

Lastly, the auction sites have given people a channel to do business that was not previously open to them. Card shows and card stores are great, but they are limited to the inventory of a few dealers. With auctions, you have hundreds and hundreds of dealers and collectors offering quality cards at (mostly) reasonable prices. A collector knows that they will always have access to a marketplace that will allow them to pursue their collecting needs 365 days a year.

Good economy. Bad ecomony. People always seem to have a few dollars available to pursue entertainment, and collecting their heroes allows them a chance to escape from this sometimes depressing world we live in. The market may depress a little, but I do not see a crash.

#14395 - 11/21/02 06:39 AM Re: Crash???
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

I agree with most of the points in the previous post. My main concern is that the majority of new graded card collectors are not kids or young adults, but rather older collectors who are becoming converts to grading.
I don't see a crash but there is a definite downturn. Even Topps recently told its retailers that they foresee a 20-30% decrease in demand in the coming year. Until we get some new blood in this hobby we will continue to see a decrease in sales volume.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.