Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#145310 - 08/10/03 08:58 AM Re: BOTN! [Re: botn]
KLL
Hobbyist

Greg

Also. I have never used GAI. Can you tell us your feelings on their grading service? It appears to me that you seem to be ok with their service. Is it as accurate as SGC?

#145311 - 08/10/03 10:07 AM Re: BOTN! [Re: KLL]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

KLL,

I used the see all the user's post function for this account Account Post History, and I noticed you seem focused on chatting up a "GAI/Where are the SGC cards" focus.

You do throw if a few good posts about Sean and SGC, but otherwise pork barrel any good comments about SGC with comments how sad it is "no one uses" SGC, or the SGC dealer list is bogus, or how sad it will be that no one carries the great SGC product at national, or how you look and look for SGC cards but can't find any at all and can find SGC since no one seems to sell them, and yada yada yada.

Multiple Examples

More multiple examples

Plus the thread the Is GAI catching up that got pulled. It certainly generated some good scholarship, but given the post history the motivation for starting the thread here is clear.

It is smart to say a few nice things about SGC and portray your "GAI/Where are the SGC cards" focus as mere curiousity to get "Street Cred" on the Board. Most posters don't have the time to research Post history, and want to think good things, but your participation has a theme shall we say.

Feel free to keep purusuing that theme if it is your pleasure, but it is not under the radar screen. I post on other's companies Board and everyone know where I am coming from. It is only sporting.

#145312 - 08/10/03 12:45 PM Re: BOTN! [Re: vayank]
KLL
Hobbyist

My theme is: WHERE are the SGC DEALERS???

I've been a collector for a while and the vast majority of my small collection is SGC graded. I do own a few PSA graded cards. I own ZERO GAI cards.

I have become extremely frustrated in my search for SGC graded cards. SO much so that I am given consideration to giving up on SGC cards. Matter of fact I was determined to stop my collecting of SGC cards until I had a chat with Sean in Atlantic City. From our conversation I was told that efforts are being made to bring in more dealers to the SGC family of dealers.

My posts have to do with what is available to collect. I am of the opinion that the number of availble card in SGC graded cards is getting smaller! One of my favorite SGC dealers, Bob Kaiser (from our neck of the woods VAYANK) had NO SGC graded cards on his table at the National. He will no longer be selling SGC cards. He would not elaborate. I have purchased a good chunk of my collection from Bob at the Fort Washington show. Bob was one of 2 dealers at the Fort Washington show who had a nice display of high end graded 50-60's cards. I suspect that when I attend the show in Dec., if TC Cards does not have a display of SGC, no one will. You know, there are about 25 dealers in that room who have high end vintage PSA graded cards. Why don't they sell SGC cards? And why did I notice for the first time at the National in AC that quite a few of them now carry GAI holdered cards along with their PSA cards. I would like to know the answer to that too? For the time being I am holding onto to my SGC cards. If I decide to change services there seems to be one service that I know something about (PSA) and another that I want to get some input on their service. No matter how you cut it, SGC and PSA are both competent in their ability to grade. Is GAI?

Now I see that a board member (BOTN) seems to have encountered a few of these new SGC dealers. I want to know who they are.

I have invested a few dollars in SGC graded cards. Although I am not in it for the money, I do get concerned that there is a very thin market in SGC graded cards and that their value in general below that of PSA as compared to similar PSA graded cards. And I am not talking 1 or 2 examples that are sometimes shown here on the board as examples of SGC vs PSA.

I would like to see that we have more choices in regards to dealers selling SGC graded cards. For the area of my collecting interest, there are very few options at this time!

#145313 - 08/10/03 01:10 PM Re: BOTN! [Re: KLL]
botn
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Santa Monica, CA

KLL,

I am a Business Manager and have been making a living as such since 1986. In 1989 I decided to start collecting cards again and shortly after that began selling. For the past 5 years or more I have derived most of my income from the sales of sports cards. I continue to do both but my focus has become card sales predominately. Only because you ask, my site address is www.botn.com.

At SportsFest I saw many PSA Dealers bringing their cards to SGC and GAI at the show. I did not however see a great deal of SGC and GAI cards in their cases at the time. I think that these dealers were just starting to explore other grading options due to the inadequacies they were seeing with PSA. I did not attend the National so I have no idea who had SGC and GAI graded material of those dealers in attendance. It reasons to conclude that show would have been the first show that some of them would be debuting their non-PSA graded cards.

It was clear in speaking with these dealers that they no longer felt obligated to only use PSA after 10+ years. Some of the names are Bill Goodwin, Gerry Schwartz, Brian Drent, Craig Roehrig, Bob Krawetz and Andy Madec.

As for GAI, I have been very happy with their grading, customer service, turn around time and the prices realized. They and SGC are ideal alternatives to the inconsistencies of PSA.

Best,
Greg

Edited by botn (08/10/03 02:00 PM)

#145314 - 08/10/03 01:57 PM Re: BOTN! [Re: botn]
KLL
Hobbyist

Greg

Thank you for the response. I am looking forward to seeing your web site up and running. It is needed.

And I agree with your observation regarding Nationally known dealers. I did not speak to any of them regarding their reasoning for having GAI graded cards on their tables. But they all told me that they were very happy with the service. I did not notice any cards at Bill Goodwins table. Matter of fact he had only a hnadful of PSA graded cards. He mostly had ungraded cards and some memorabilia.

I don't know who is submitting what to the grading services. I hope your observations are correct that more of these dealers are submitting cards to SGC. And I am looking forward to seeing these cards on their tables or web sites in the near future.

#145315 - 08/10/03 02:01 PM Re: BOTN! [Re: KLL]
botn
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Santa Monica, CA

KLL,

Shows you how poor my marketing skills are. I had a typo in my web address which has now been corrected.

Thanks,
Greg

#145316 - 08/10/03 02:24 PM Re: BOTN! [Re: KLL]
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

KLL

My first post as a message board member consisted of singing the blues about lack of available SGC vintage for sale in the 88 and 92 range for the 1950's and 60's. So I've got involved in some PSA and GAI vintage that all went for cross-overs. My collection plan is to be 100% SGC.

Out of about 12 crossover cards - I've seen 2 crossover from PSA 8's to 92's and 1 GAI go from a 9 to a 96. The other 9 have either not met the equivalent SGC grade or have come back lower. 1 PSA was blantantly trimmed. Granted, a good portion of the group that didn't meet the min grade are very solid cards that I chalk up to SGC being unreasonable that day - but overall - the process of buying to cross is expensive and risky.

I feel the same way you do - picking thru SGC dealer inventories trying to find a decent card from some fairly stagnant inventories because I'm antsy to buy is not a good collecting situation.

I just sit tight and pick and choose from the small number of cards that come up for sale. If you decide to go the cross-over route - here are my opinions based on experience.

GAI - never had a problem with an altered card but plan on taking a 1/2 grade reduction when going into a SGC holder.

PSA - The range is huge in their 8 grade. I've bought a few gems that went over to an SGC 92, and I've also got some questionable cards as well. PSA's popularity does allow for too many steals in this grade range.

SCD - Did well on a few 1968 commons - got burned on some older vintage that was trimmed.

Good luck with you collection.

STMF

#145317 - 08/18/03 12:18 PM Re: BOTN! [Re: KLL]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

I've been working on the Philly football issues on the CU Registry. There just wasn't enough inventory in SGC graded cards to go that way. But lately I've been seeing a few SGC Philly football cards on Ebay. I checked today and there was about 20 SGC cards listed out of 80 total. This is an example of SGC cards beginning to find there way into the market.
Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 3 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.