Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#145290 - 06/18/03 09:01 PM MW1 (or anyone else) Care to Comment On.......
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Greg/BOTN's banning from the CU Board?

#145291 - 06/18/03 09:25 PM Re: MW1 (or anyone else) Care to Comment On....... [Re: vayank]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Tough call on that one Yank. I've been following the threads and see good
arguments from both sides. The real issue to me is the way Orlando
handles some things over there. An issue such as this should of been
handled better with more tact. Instead lighter fluid is added to the
small fire that now turns into an out of control three alarmer.

Botn is an Sgc dealer too. I would not mind if he posted here. His
opinion would be welcomed. The damage is done if he goes back
to the Psa boards now. His opinion or lack of will hurt the strength
or conviction of his posts.

I will leave you all with these words of wisdom. Remember that the
number one reason why some people stay away from the sports
collectibles hobby is the PERCEPTION of the lack of integrity
in our hobby.

Therefore, when things are done such as banning people from forums
or regrading 4 Psa 8 red man cards to 9's, as a couple examples,
what is one to perceive? I'm not saying the banning was wrong
and I'm not saying upgrading four cards to 9's was right. I'm saying
that there are certain ways to do things that in the end will improve
the overall breathe of the hobby. These moves by Psa are clearly
motivated to protect the interests of dealers not the true collectors.
This is my PERCEPTION of Psa at times. Yet I thought the grading
companies were established to keep the interest of the collector
as the primary focus. Maybe not....

Thanks Joe.

aconte

#145292 - 06/18/03 10:41 PM My Statement [Re: aconte]
botn
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Santa Monica, CA

Hi Guys,

In speaking with Charlie Kahler at PSA, who I consider a friend, Joe was motivated to pull the plug without warning as a result of his feeling that I had ulterior motives by my starting the Namath Thread. I have e-mailed Joe to apologize and explain as I did not mean any disrespect to him or to PSA but was merely venting, as I do. Anyone that knows me can verify that I can be outspoken and many would say inappropriate. I probably could have posted in a less adversarial manner but did so impulsively.

Joe and CU have been fairly tolerant of members' criticisms. I do not feel that I went too far on that post but it does not matter what I think. Joe is the President and Joe calls the shots. I have no problem with his banning me from the boards--it was a business decision and I do not begrudge him. I am not sure that Joe’s decision to leave the thread and silence me was in PSA’s best interest. But again, I do not see with Joe’s eyes.

It was nice to see that there are numerous collectors who do appreciate what I bring to the boards and the hobby and I find it sad that those who feel otherwise must offer their opinions while hiding behind their anonymity. If you have something to say to me, say it. Don’t be a coward.

It is no secret that I use all three grading services (SGC, GAI and PSA). For different reasons I like what each service has to offer. I will continue to use all three grading services as long as it makes sense to do so. Regardless of my status as a CU participant (and I told Joe that I would not register anonymously) I will post here regularly and continue to contribute to the Vintage Network 54 Board.

Thanks,
Greg

#145293 - 06/19/03 04:42 AM Re: My Statement [Re: botn]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

This has nothing to do grading, but everything to do with leadership and maturity.

His banishment was an immature act of one closer to a teenager than a mature leader. "Prodigies" have been known to behave like this. The talent and even vision is there, but not the wisdom yet to fully realize his or her gifts.

This is a normal part of human development, and nothing to be ashamed of. However, the prodigy, because of their talent and success, may lack the chance to go through it in relative anonymity like us regular people. It can be hard to admit a public mistake, so you dig in instead. They may also lack a mentor in a traditional sense because they are already king of the hill, and who mentors the king? This is why so many prodigies (no matter what the industry) flame out and never meningful outdo the accomplishments of youth.

Will wisdom or hubris prevail? Forgiveness or revenge?

#145294 - 06/19/03 09:57 AM Re: My Statement [Re: vayank]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

I try to stay as postive as possible when I post. Even when I want to vent, I'll type out my rant, read it and than realize I sound like a jerk and delete it.
That being said, I don't think anyone should be banned/suppressed from expressing their opinion.
Off Topic though, I'm glad to see MW1 back posting again. Your input and knowledge has been missed. I look foward to reading your posts.

#145295 - 06/19/03 01:51 PM Re: My Statement [Re: Fabfrank]
HonusWagner
Hobbyist

Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Welcome to the boards, Greg!
#145296 - 06/19/03 01:56 PM Re: My Statement [Re: botn]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Thanks for the response Botn. Welcome!

aconte

#145297 - 06/19/03 04:12 PM Re: MW1 (or anyone else) Care to Comment On....... [Re: vayank]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I think that this is a really sad story.

I read the CU boards daily and find much of the discussion extremely interesting. I post infrequently given my choice of SGC as my primary grading service.

Over the past year, I have found BOTN's analysis and discussion among the most level headed and insightful on the CU board. The fact that he has been banned from the board for expressing his opinion on some centering issues on high value cards in PSA-8 holders is stunning. (BTW, I thought most/all of these cards were PSA-8 sliders -- barely OK by "the book" and certainly questionable).

Greg, welcome to the SGC boards. It has been a while since we have done any business, but I consider you a true professional. I look forward to your intelligent and insightful discussion....and in a forum where I feel more comfortable responding.

Scott

#145298 - 06/19/03 04:16 PM Re: My Statement *DELETED* [Re: vayank]
MW1
veteran

Post deleted by dena
#145299 - 06/20/03 09:04 AM Re: My Statement [Re: MW1]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Quote:

Matthew,

A very interesting interpretation. I would like to add that sometimes a loosely organized and haphazardly decentralized structure in any business environment can also impede the decisionmaking process.

Ahem, I believe this one decision making process sorely in need of being impeded!

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.078 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.