Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#150092 - 06/25/03 09:29 PM Does the hobby have a new "gold standard" for grading? Check this out. *DELETED*
MW1
veteran

Post deleted by dena
#150093 - 06/26/03 04:45 AM Re: Does the hobby have a new "gold standard" for grading? Check this out. [Re: MW1]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

MW1,

Excellent observation. When you think of it, the ad does a great job of dancing around what it admits: This is a specific example of a SGC card, which sets the bar price-wise for a comparable PSA-graded issue. Whether or not it sells for more or less than the SGC card, it will not change the fact that the SGC card "set the bar."

How much money do you think he is leaving on the table by not spamming SGC in his auction title?

Edited by vayank (06/26/03 04:47 AM)

#150094 - 06/26/03 05:05 AM Re: Does the hobby have a new "gold standard" for grading? Check this out. [Re: MW1]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I am suprised to still see that card -- it first went up for auction shortly after the BMW card sold...which, I believe was a few months ago. (???). The original auction description was very interesting!
#150095 - 06/26/03 06:52 AM Re: Does the hobby have a new "gold standard" for grading? Check this out. [Re: MW1]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I think the seller of that particular auction of reference insult the intelligence
of all collectors especially SGC graded card/set collectors. The comment
that Psa sells better than any other graded card won't work with cards
of this magnitude. Collectors are getting smarter especially with more
options. Imagine people buying the card and not the holder.

He's getting a no sale because the card stinks compared to the Sgc
84 that was being sold. If it were the other way around and the bad
one were in the Sgc holder I would think it would be the same story.

Accurate and consistent grading in the end will help for sure!

aconte

#150096 - 06/26/03 12:45 PM Re: Does the hobby have a new "gold standard" for grading? Check this out. [Re: aconte]
botn
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Santa Monica, CA

Obviously this seller realizes that his PSA 7 is inferior to the SGC 84 that was sold. Anyone with at least one good eye can tell that this card is not well centered. Dare I say, that I feel that it should not be in an unqualified 7 holder?

Greg

#150097 - 06/26/03 02:23 PM Re: Does the hobby have a new "gold standard" for grading? Check this out. [Re: botn]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Be careful Greg
#150098 - 06/26/03 04:15 PM Re: Does the hobby have a new "gold standard" for grading? Check this out. [Re: srs1a]
botn

I am supposed to meet with Joe Orlando this weekend while in Chicago to "discuss" my situation, etc. Hope that he does not see my constructive criticism of this graded example. Speaking of which, if I am not mistaken, this card was owned previously by Sports Cards Plus.
#150099 - 06/26/03 04:18 PM Re: Does the hobby have a new "gold standard" for grading? Check this out. [Re: botn]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Greg --

How many times are you expected to apologize? I'd be all done with "sorry's" at this point. You have been subjected to childish immature behaivor.

#150100 - 06/26/03 04:21 PM Re: Does the hobby have a new "gold standard" for grading? Check this out. [Re: vayank]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

I would add if they lifted the ban from the "other" board and you thought it in your interest to return as an authorized dealer with PSA, fine. But you should be done pandering to romper room.

#150101 - 06/26/03 04:41 PM Re: Does the hobby have a new "gold standard" for grading? Check this out. [Re: vayank]
botn

Matthew,

Out of respect for Joe, as a friend and a hobby comrade from days gone by, I will make an effort to chat with him. I have been upfront with him that I think that it will be mutually beneficial for us to part ways. I like many of the guys on that board and loved the banter back and forth but I see no point in going back if there are going to be conditions placed on me. If I have an opinion, and I feel that it is for the good of the hobby to express it, I want to be able to do so without asking permission or worrying who is going to be offended. I have always tried to be an advocate for the collector first, as I am one myself, with all other responsibilities being a distant second.

I will continue to submit to PSA when need exists, not under my name of course. I can do more than adequate business selling SGC and GAI graded material. I do not want to be held to blind support for a company all of the time when I feel that there are areas in which they could improve.

Greg

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.