Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1523500 - 01/09/07 08:53 AM Advice needed..going to have some cards graded.
Wrightson fan
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: Austin, TX

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting on these message boards as I spend all of my time on the CGC boards. I used to be a die-hard card collector and started builing my collection back in 1976. I had accumulated about 100K cards by 1988 and then started tapering off. Almost my entire collection was stolen from my home in 1991 and this put a truly sour taste in my mouth. I was able to save my most valuable cards as they were kept in a different location from the others. With this said....I have decided to get my best ones certified and in turn sell them. I have owned these cards for over 20 years and think it is time to move them on to someone else who will enjoy them. I have some free time this weekend and plan on getting some scans posted so that I can get some opinions on the best candidates. I have some good ideas, but want some opinions from those with more expertise than I now have as it has been so long since I bought a pack of cards. Some cards I have that are high grade---1963 Mantle, 1956 Williams, 1956 Clemente, 1953 Bowman color Campanella that is a true stunner, 1982 Ripken, 1981 Montana.....you get the picture. I hate to see them go...but it is time. When I put up the scans this weekend, I will appreciate any input you can give me that will help achieve the highest return on my cards. Thanks for looking.

Scott

http://www.unknownhinson.com/images/wallpaper/fire-king800.jpg

#1523501 - 01/09/07 03:28 PM Re: Advice needed..going to have some cards graded. [Re: Wrightson fan]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Grading is a must for the high dollar cards. Regardless of the grade (and you may be disappointed...we all were with our first submissions), you will maximize the value by having them graded by either PSA or SGC. For vintage cards (pre-1968 in my book), don't venture beyond those two companies.

As to which one to choose, that is a much different question. PSA graded star cards are practically a commodity. There are plenty of them. Simply do a search on eBay for the year and player and you'll see what I mean. Search completed auctions to get an idea of how much yours might be worth. SGC graded star cards have much lower populations than their PSA counterpart, but most star cards sell well nonetheless.

If you can find a buyer for the price you want, you can avoid the eBay fees, but you'll have to find that PSA or SGC buyer on this board or theirs, for the most part.

If you don't mind paying the fees and can be patient you could possibly get more for them on the 'bay. Best to you and I look forward to seeing the scans.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1523502 - 01/09/07 05:28 PM Re: Advice needed..going to have some cards graded. [Re: bbo]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

bbo gave you good advice. Getting them slabbed is necessary and PSA or SGC are your best options, by far. I would think eBAY is your best bet -- list them with a BIN of what you want for them and see how it goes. If that doesn't work out, then you can reconsider other options.
#1523503 - 01/13/07 07:13 AM Re: Advice needed..going to have some cards graded. [Re: Wrightson fan]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

Quote:

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting on these message boards as I spend all of my time on the CGC boards. I used to be a die-hard card collector and started builing my collection back in 1976. I had accumulated about 100K cards by 1988 and then started tapering off. Almost my entire collection was stolen from my home in 1991 and this put a truly sour taste in my mouth. I was able to save my most valuable cards as they were kept in a different location from the others. With this said....I have decided to get my best ones certified and in turn sell them. I have owned these cards for over 20 years and think it is time to move them on to someone else who will enjoy them. I have some free time this weekend and plan on getting some scans posted so that I can get some opinions on the best candidates. I have some good ideas, but want some opinions from those with more expertise than I now have as it has been so long since I bought a pack of cards. Some cards I have that are high grade---1963 Mantle, 1956 Williams, 1956 Clemente, 1953 Bowman color Campanella that is a true stunner, 1982 Ripken, 1981 Montana.....you get the picture. I hate to see them go...but it is time. When I put up the scans this weekend, I will appreciate any input you can give me that will help achieve the highest return on my cards. Thanks for looking.

Scott

You have already received some sound advice. The only things I can add are:

1. The vintage HOF'ers are a no brainer to grade.
2. The newer HOF'ers (Montana and Ripken) are likely also a no brainer. This assume they are in strong condition.
3. You will in all likelyhood receive the highest return grading these HOF'ers with SGC.

#1523504 - 01/15/07 06:05 AM Re: Advice needed..going to have some cards graded. [Re: FYS]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Use SGC. Why? For a non-dealer like yourself, SGC will take care of you:

Great service, personal contact, accurate grading, half point grading system, beautiful holder, very useful submission tracking function, and re-sale value second to none for the cards you mention.

Edited by vayank (01/15/07 06:06 AM)

#1523505 - 01/16/07 01:39 AM Re: Advice needed..going to have some cards graded. [Re: vayank]
autobilia2
Hobbyist

I guess I'm partial to SGC. Can't see how PSA sell for what they sell for after receiving an "F" from the Better Business Bureau. Link below:
http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyReportPage_Expository.aspx?CompanyID=13083567

#1523506 - 01/21/07 12:51 PM Re: Advice needed..going to have some cards graded. [Re: autobilia2]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

From the BBB site:

The rating the Better Business Bureau assigns a business is determined by our composite score of such factors as its type of business, length of time in business, compliance with competency licensing requirements, complaint volume, complaint history, seriousness of complaints, how the company responds to complaints, and our experience with the company’s industry in general. The scoring system takes into account the importance we feel each factor is to the company’s reliability.

The highest rating assigned to a company is AAA; the lowest is F. Between those two ratings are nine others in order from higher to lower. The ratings are defined as follows:

AAA An exemplary rating. This means that nothing in our files causes us to have any doubt about the company’s reliability.

AA An extremely high rating. The condition that lowers this grade from AAA is not what we believe to be a significant one.

A An excellent rating. A company with this rating may not rate higher because of a greater number of rate-lowering factors, but we do not consider them to be factors that would likely adversely affect consumer transactions.

BBB A very high rating. A company with this rating would not have a significant number of complaints or other considerations that could pose a problem to consumers.

BB A high rating. The company would generally have demonstrated good business-consumer relations, and we would expect any consumer complaints not to be of a serious nature and to be satisfactorily handled by the company.

B A good rating that still implies reputability. The rating may relate to length of time in business, a past problem that’s been corrected, or something else that does not cause problems for consumers. We believe a company with this rating would generally conduct business and respond to any complaints satisfactorily.

CCC A good rating. We would expect nothing less than a satisfactory business transaction, but read our full report to determine if you have any questions or concerns.

CC Average rating. We would expect consumer transactions to be satisfactory. Since each transaction is individual, read our full report to determine if you have questions or concerns.

C Acceptable rating. We know of no reason not to do business with this company. If the level of this rating relates to anything specific that we know might be of concern to consumers, it is stated in this report. Read our full report to determine if you have questions or concerns.

D We have enough concerns about this company (for example, their offer, customer complaints, advertising, etc.) that we recommend caution in doing business with it.

F We strongly question the company’s reliability for reasons such as that they have failed to respond to complaints, their advertising is grossly misleading, they are not in compliance with the law’s licensing or registration requirements, their complaints contain especially serious allegations, or the company’s industry is known for its fraudulent business practices.

NR "NR" is displayed when the Bureau is conducting system maintenance.

#1523507 - 04/13/07 03:33 PM Re: Advice needed..going to have some cards graded. [Re: vayank]
Powajemes
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Denver

Ummm, I clicked that link and see that they have B, not an F. What am I missing?
#1523508 - 04/13/07 07:47 PM Re: Advice needed..going to have some cards graded. [Re: Powajemes]
FYS

Quote:

Ummm, I clicked that link and see that they have B, not an F. What am I missing?

It was certainly an F when it was originally posted. I am sure a PSA troll(s) made sure that PSA was made aware and the PSA marketing machine did some damage control with the BBB to get that rating up.

Direct quote from the new B grade listing:

Some complainants allege the company fails to return items sent in for authentification, and in some cases deny ever receiving the item. Other customers complain that the company fails to provide services as agreed, returning itenms without explanation as to why they are determined not to be authentic. Some complainants allege items sent are lost, misplaced, or that the company replaces the high quality items sent in, with lesser valued items before returning to the customer. A few customers complain the company misrepresented the value of cards they purchased, and found after spending considerable amounts of money, a second opinion determined the item as worthless. Most customers report they experience difficulty contacting the company to resolve problems, claiming calls are not returned, and voice-mail or e-mail messages are not answered.

The company responds to some complaints by offering explanations, or by directing complainants to review their policies which are posted on the website. In cases where items are missing or lost, the company asks for proof of delivery, registered tracking numbers, copies of submission forms, check numbers used, dates checks were posted, and any other documentation that might be associated to the transaction, advising the complainant the information will be taken under review, and resolution will depend on the information provided. The company addresses some complaints regarding purchased items by advising the complainant they do not engage in the sale of sports memorabilia, and they must have confused them with another company. The company disputes most allegations, and refunds or credits are usually not issued.

Edited by FYS (04/13/07 07:48 PM)

#1523509 - 04/14/07 05:47 AM Re: Advice needed..going to have some cards graded. [Re: FYS]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Imagine what might be written about GAI.

Anyone seen what is written about SGC?
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1523510 - 04/14/07 11:37 AM Re: Advice needed..going to have some cards graded. [Re: bbo]
FYS

Quote:

Imagine what might be written about GAI.

Anyone seen what is written about SGC?

Did not find anything about GAI, which is interesting. Did find some informaiton on Beckett and SGC, but it is very old (old office address).

SGC

Beckett

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.055 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.