Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#154479 - 07/03/03 12:47 PM New Pricing
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

Dear All

Any thoughts, comments, concerns about the new SGC pricing structure that is going into effect in the middle of July?? I for one always wondered how they could grade the cards a) so cheaply (especially in bulk) and b) without regard for value thus making it less enticing to grade commons when expensive star cards had the same cost.

Some thoughts.........who determines market value in their pricing structure?? I skimmed through and didn't find reference as to the source....of course I did skim so I might have missed it.

Not sure on the timing of this move. SGC trying to grap more market share and raising the prices at the same time?? It won't effect my personal choice of exclusively submitting my cards to them but I wonder about others......

Looking for YOUR two cents on this one.

Ron

#154480 - 07/03/03 07:00 PM Re: New Pricing [Re: njdolphins]
gemint
Learning the Ropes

That's interesting. It coincides with PSA cracking down on their submission rules as well. They too used to let you submit any card under the bulk service until a month or so back when they now require star cards to go through the regular vintage service. Personally I have no problems submitting a $250+ card through the $8 or higher service since the grading fee is still a small % of the total card value. Especially in these tough times when the grading companies are trying to hold up their margins in the wake of declining submissions. Long term however, I think the grading fee for modern and post war commons will have to fall well below the current $6 level to keep the submission levels propped up. The challenge for them will be to find a business structure that can work at under $5 per card.
#154481 - 07/03/03 07:24 PM Re: New Pricing [Re: gemint]
ledsters
Collector is an understatement.

I have to agree with Gemint. The pricing for a common card has got to come down if we want to see an abundance of material for our graded collections. There are many holes in collections right now that may not be filled for a long time due to the price of grading. I'm not really complaining, because I will still send in cards to get
graded- stars or commons. But I do feel that the grading prices have a lot to do with the lack of complete sets out there.

ledsters

#154482 - 07/04/03 09:18 PM Re: New Pricing [Re: njdolphins]
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

i would agree to it if they dropped there modern submission to 4 dollars for modern cards worth less then 250 book.... i really liked that 4 dollar sgc special.. also... who decides the card value..what price guide are they using??? lets say you got a 200 dollar card that u think is NM and at beckett price..o.k u send it in..it grades an 8..worth well over 200 bucks...what tier do you pay now?

loth

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.