Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#155626 - 07/05/03 05:53 AM What do you guys think of...
Kevin76
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: Land of the Confused

Comics? CGC graded comics. I used to collect basball cards like mad when i was 10-14 or so,But I took a look at comics back in 89 when i was still collecting cards and I got out of BB cards and fell in love with comics,even though all my friends were still into cards,Anyone feel the same way? taking a look at comics to collect/invest? As a former card collector,comics is a much safer investment,none of this "Ken Griffey Jr breaks an arm and his cards go down cause he's not playin" Let me know your thoughts
#155627 - 07/07/03 01:59 PM Re: What do you guys think of... [Re: Kevin76]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

CGC has added tremendous value to vintage as well as modern comics. As usual, the higher the grade the greater the value. I'm not crazy about grading modern comics though. Comic books are meant to be read while cards are a two-sided collectible. I don't see where grading a $3 modern comic at $16 grading fee adds that much more value to a comic book.
#155628 - 07/08/03 11:02 AM Re: What do you guys think of... [Re: Kevin76]
backtomarvel
Collectosaurus Rex

I was in and out card collecting in my youth and, less than a year ago, decided to sell every card I have and begin collecting comics again, another hobby of my youth.

I've used card grading to make money to buy comics, and tried grading comics once and am still a bit up in the air on whether to grade my collected comics.

Anyway, I got out of cards for the same reason mentioned above: They are two dimensional and offer only nostaligic value to me. They are too much of a commodity, if that makes any sense.

Comics, on the other hand, are works of art in both the drawing involved and the writing/stories. As for "slabbing" them, reader copies and reprints offer teh stories. Simply to preserve the asset is the main reason to get comics graded.

Comics degrade far easier and more quickly than cards, so it makes much more sense to get the older or rarer ones encased.

I dropped in to this discussion simply because the topic hit home.

#155629 - 07/08/03 12:48 PM Re: What do you guys think of... [Re: backtomarvel]
remo
Collector

Loc: washington state

Personally i think cards are art and the photos tell a story of days gone by and thats what keeps me hooked on cards.

#155630 - 07/08/03 10:35 PM Re: What do you guys think of... [Re: Kevin76]
MW1
veteran

Kevin,

Great question. When I was younger, I put together a pretty extensive collection of Silver and Bronze age comics books. Recently, I resumed my pursuit of this collectible as I have added about 50 CGC graded comics to my collection -- mostly older ASMs ranging from 9.0 to 9.6.

In terms of the applied grading standards, I see many similarities between CGC and SGC. I do see some differences, however. CGC, for whatever reason, seems to ignore "centering" on comic books. For instance, I have noticed on some graded (and even pedigreed) copies in the 9.2 to 9.6 range that the first letters in the "Marvel Comics Group" box are somewhat obscured by the spine. If I were grading, I wouldn't assign a grade higher than 8.5 to such an example, but that's just my personal preference developed from collecting vintage sports cards in SGC 92 and 96 conditions.

Also, I've noticed two other things -- from time to time I see minor factory creases on the back covers on 9.0 or better copies. And, some high-grade comics have that red inking on the cross section of some of the pages. I would apply larger deductions for both types of "defects."

As far as values and future investment potentials are concerned, I also see some parallels. Much like the impressive performances of modern players, recently released super-hero movies seem to cause temporary surges in demand and significant monthly price increases on certain issues (e.g., Daredevil, Hulk, Spider-Man, Punisher). Long-term trends also seem to suggest that there are some comics that approximate the popularity of Mickey Mantle while other issues are more like Ron Kittle or Joe Charboneau.

My opinion is that wise investments in low-population or "sleeper" CGC-graded issues will yield some impressive profits in the future...but just like sports cards, one much actively search for "high-end" examples. If I were more involved in the Comic book hobby, I would probably include both graded and ungraded comics in my portfolio. I might also be inclined to purchase mostly Marvel titles and stay away from DC brands, with the exception of the Flash, Superman and Green Lantern and other "marketable" superheros, but I'm sure I have a collecting bias in that area. Finally, just like sports cards, I would be interested in finding dealers who would be willing to sell ungraded portions of major finds at quantity wholesale prices. In such cases, extensive grading knowledge would be essential.

#155631 - 07/09/03 01:09 PM Re: What do you guys think of... [Re: MW1]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

MW1- For a card guy that was a very informative post
#155632 - 08/01/03 05:44 AM Re: What do you guys think of... [Re: MW1]
Kevin76
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: Land of the Confused

Quote:

Kevin,

Great question. When I was younger, I put together a pretty extensive collection of Silver and Bronze age comics books. Recently, I resumed my pursuit of this collectible as I have added about 50 CGC graded comics to my collection -- mostly older ASMs ranging from 9.0 to 9.6.

In terms of the applied grading standards, I see many similarities between CGC and SGC. I do see some differences, however. CGC, for whatever reason, seems to ignore "centering" on comic books. For instance, I have noticed on some graded (and even pedigreed) copies in the 9.2 to 9.6 range that the first letters in the "Marvel Comics Group" box are somewhat obscured by the spine. If I were grading, I wouldn't assign a grade higher than 8.5 to such an example, but that's just my personal preference developed from collecting vintage sports cards in SGC 92 and 96 conditions.

Also, I've noticed two other things -- from time to time I see minor factory creases on the back covers on 9.0 or better copies. And, some high-grade comics have that red inking on the cross section of some of the pages. I would apply larger deductions for both types of "defects."

As far as values and future investment potentials are concerned, I also see some parallels. Much like the impressive performances of modern players, recently released super-hero movies seem to cause temporary surges in demand and significant monthly price increases on certain issues (e.g., Daredevil, Hulk, Spider-Man, Punisher). Long-term trends also seem to suggest that there are some comics that approximate the popularity of Mickey Mantle while other issues are more like Ron Kittle or Joe Charboneau.

My opinion is that wise investments in low-population or "sleeper" CGC-graded issues will yield some impressive profits in the future...but just like sports cards, one much actively search for "high-end" examples. If I were more involved in the Comic book hobby, I would probably include both graded and ungraded comics in my portfolio. I might also be inclined to purchase mostly Marvel titles and stay away from DC brands, with the exception of the Flash, Superman and Green Lantern and other "marketable" superheros, but I'm sure I have a collecting bias in that area. Finally, just like sports cards, I would be interested in finding dealers who would be willing to sell ungraded portions of major finds at quantity wholesale prices. In such cases, extensive grading knowledge would be essential.

MW1,

Good post,but I have to clear a few things up here,If you flip though the new Overstreet grading guide,they do take points off for "centering" ,misaligned staples,page quality ect... if a book is graded at a 9.2 and is quite off center,that is one of the reasons why it didn't get a 9.4 NM,Many people can't understand why a book is a 9.6 with a miscut,Most people don't think "gee,it could have gotten a 9.8 without the miscut". I talked to Steve Borock (primary CGC grader) about adding "grader's notes" to the labels like Beckett,Since they didn't think of it before they made the new labels,it's not likely they are going too,But you can call with the serial number and ask how it got that grade. Again,many people can't grade comics even after 25 years of collecting them,Getting to grade a comic an 8.5 only because it's a bit off center is insane.There is alot to a comic than a card,with cards your only looking at a few things corners,centering,surface wear.With comics it's structure,corners,staples,page quality,surface wear and on and on.I don't buy into the whole "comics are meant to be read" thing,I don't read them and i love them.Besides,try saying toys are meant to be played with to toy collectors or coins are meant to be spent and not saved,or even cards are just pictures of ball players on them. Kevin

P.S. stay away from modern age comics,there not worth the paper they are printed on.Gold and pre 65 Silver is where the $$ is.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.