Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#155633 - 07/05/03 06:44 AM Ticket Grading - huh?
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hi everyone --

In several of the more recent SCDs, I've noticed that PSA plans to create a new service targeting collectors of full tickets and ticket stubs. Graded tickets!!??!!

Is there a market that justifies ticket grading? I mean, I know there are a lots of ticket collectors out there, but how expansive could it be? Are there "ticket collecting" publications? Price Guides? Are there "ticket grading experts" that PSA would employ?

Is this a desperation move by PSA?

#155634 - 07/05/03 03:18 PM Re: Ticket Grading - huh? *DELETED* [Re: deadlyembrace]
MW1
veteran

Post deleted by dena
#155635 - 07/05/03 03:42 PM Re: Ticket Grading - huh? [Re: MW1]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Z - i - i - i - i - i - i - ng !!!

Bullseye ...

#155636 - 07/08/03 01:40 PM Re: Ticket Grading - huh? [Re: deadlyembrace]
tegelaar
Hobbyist

Loc: Boston

Dumb idea - not enough of a market.
#155637 - 07/10/03 04:22 PM Re: Ticket Grading - huh? [Re: deadlyembrace]
cicamen
(S)uper Collector

Loc: California

That is ridiculous. Are people going to make the ticket tearers wear gloves so they dont get fingerprints on the ticket. Make sure the ticket tearer tears it straight down so it doesnt miscut. They are going to have to do that if someone wanted to actually get a mint condition ticket and actually go to the game. I know when I go to a game I just grab the ticket and it gets folded up and crumpled up in my pocket.

#155638 - 07/10/03 05:26 PM Re: Ticket Grading - huh? [Re: cicamen]
wrigleyfield
Collector is an understatement.

Most people back in the 1930s through the 1970s would have considered the grading of baseball cards an absurd idea. Kids in the 1950s would have said why would you want to grade a baseball card that goes in my bicycle spokes. I am no fan of PSA, but a perfectly ripped ticket stub that is not creased or wrinkled may be a rare find. Most people today see no point or value in preserving the condition of their ticket stubs - they just crumple them and put them in their pockets (me included) - which is what could make the "mint condition" stubs valuable in the future. Kids in the 1950s and 1960s had the same attitude about baseball cards - into the bicylce spokes they go. One can never tell.

#155639 - 07/11/03 04:38 AM Re: Ticket Grading - huh? [Re: wrigleyfield]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

About a year ago, I was talking to my father-in-law about the 1960 World Series. He was a Pittsburg resident, at the time, and had gone to two of the games ... including Game 7 that featured Bill Maz's series winning HR vs. the Yankees.

He mentioned that he thought he still had a program from the series and went rummaging around in his attic for awhile. He returned with a series program and, from between the pages, out tumbles two perfectly torn ticket stubs.

Both are in flawless, mint condition (IMHO), but I'm not sure how you would grade a ticket. There are no tears, folds, surface imperfections or beer spilled on it (... which, he says, is a miracle in itself). These tickets are beautiful and, if you're a baseball fan, embody the historical significance of one of baseball's shining moments.

Presently, each ticket resides between two large lucite slabs and are proudly displayed in his living room. And he's very fond of recounting his memories of the series for anyone willing to sit and listen.

So what are the chances that he would get the tickets graded by PSA?

Zero!!

It would diminish the treasure that he already has.

#155640 - 07/11/03 06:31 AM Re: Ticket Grading - huh? [Re: deadlyembrace]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

DE, I think you are right on.

I have 2 ticket stubs that mean alot to me -- one was a NY Yankees old-timers game that my father took my brother and I to in the late 60's. The stars on the field were amazing. In the game that followed, the Yanks played the Twins and lost 3-2. Mantle hit 2 homers -- on right handed, one left handed. The next day, the headline was Twins 3, Mantle 2. AWESOME! I still have the program (with my attempt at scoring the game) and a tattered ticket stub. Would I ever get this thing slabbed -- no way...who cares what someone else thinks of the stub?

The other one is a WS game from the early 70's ('72, I think, Baltimore and Pittsburgh). Clemente's final season. Pittsburgh was down 3 games to 1, the game was in Baltimore. The Pirates won and won the series. Clemente made a play that you often see in highlights -- a deep shot to right field...everyone thinks is is a homer...but he gets it on the warning track and fires a bullet to the plate to double up the runner tagging from third. AWESOME!!! No HR, a double play, instead. Actually, we were on the first base side, so we couldn't see the catch or throw....the ball disappeared into the corner then reappeared like a rifle shot....we saw the rest on TV. AWESOME, anyway.

BTW, I think the above descriptions are accurate...if not, they are my memories.

I would never have these things slabbed -- the value is in the memories...a grade is a stupid idea (IHMO).

Scott

#155641 - 07/11/03 12:07 PM Re: Ticket Grading - huh? [Re: srs1a]
buttermarc
Collector

Loc: NYC

Can it be any worse than grading Honus Wagner reprint cards ad nauseum? Every grading company has chosen to grade otherwise stupid ideas. PSA thinks there is a market out there. Let them pursue the path -- if it works, great. If not, it will be on a long list of bad ideas that never panned out -- by PSA and many others.

#155642 - 07/11/03 03:05 PM Re: Ticket Grading - huh? *DELETED* [Re: buttermarc]
MW1
veteran

Post deleted by dena
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.