Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#164851 - 07/22/03 06:34 PM SGC Website
tegelaar
Hobbyist

Loc: Boston

Not sure where else to post this - but the SGC web site sure could use a revamp.
If you look at the other collector's society sites - CGC, NGC etc - their appearance is uniform and much more appealing. They drive visitors to the important parts of the site. SGC is pretty much a list of links in no organized fashion. I think if SGC's site was designed like the others, we would see a lot more traffic in here along with more people submitting and using the registry. Thoughts?

#164852 - 07/22/03 08:33 PM Re: SGC Website [Re: tegelaar]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

Teg

While I agree that some re-formatting is needed and would be nice for those of us already using the service, I really doubt it will attract more persons to the grading service itself. The reality is that unless and until SGC cards are perceived to be at least close to equal $$$ value in the card collecting community, the re-design of a website isn't going to be the catalyst to greatly increase usage of the service.

My 2 cents

Ron

#164853 - 07/23/03 06:23 AM Re: SGC Website [Re: tegelaar]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Tegelaar,

I'd like to see some improvements on the pop report side as well. Items like
including totals and more user friendly. I've had my computer lock up
at times when I've used this feature.

Now my question. As I eluded to in another thread, costs might be going
up at Sgc with some of the new features (Registry for example). Are
we willing to pay for some of these new features? We all want this and
that, faster service, quicker turnaround times, and top notch customer
service. This stuff is not free.

So if Sgc would pass the cost to its customers, would you be happy?

aconte

#164854 - 07/23/03 09:59 AM Re: SGC Website [Re: njdolphins]
Architecht
Web Architect

Loc: Chicago area

Generally speaking, web site design is a decently sized component of the impression any company leaves for users who visit their web site. There are, of course, many aspects that go into the impression that any company makes in the marketplace, but the web site has become a very prominent one.

When you hear about a company or service, how many of you go check their web site out to flesh out your first impression? Probably alot, although this is clearly already a biased and internet saavy group.

But what does web design have to do with people's willingness to do business with a company? Well, basically, it plays into a judgement call that users make about the trustworthiness of the entity.

Here's a very interesting study on the topic.

Key Findings

We found that when people assessed a real Web site's credibility they did not use rigorous criteria, a contrast to the findings of Consumer WebWatch's earlier national survey, A Matter of Trust: What Users Want From Web Sites, released April 16, 2002. In this poll of 1,500 U.S. adult Internet users, people claimed that certain elements were vital to a Web site's credibility (e.g., having a privacy policy). But this most recent Web-based credibility study showed that people rarely used these rigorous criteria when evaluating credibility (e.g., they almost never referred to a site's privacy policy.) We found a mismatch, as in other areas of life, between what people say is important and what they actually do.

The data showed that the average consumer paid far more attention to the superficial aspects of a site, such as visual cues, than to its content. For example, nearly half of all consumers (or 46.1%) in the study assessed the credibility of sites based in part on the appeal of the overall visual design of a site, including layout, typography, font size and color schemes.

This reliance on a site's overall visual appeal to gauge its credibility occurred more often with some categories of sites then others. Consumer credibility-related comments about visual design issues occurred with more frequency with finance (54.6%), search engines (52.6%), travel (50.5%), and e-commerce sites (46.2%), and with less frequency when assessing health (41.8%), news (39.6%), and nonprofit (39.4%) sites. In comparison, the parallel Sliced Bread Design study revealed that health and finance experts were far less concerned about the surface aspects of these industry-specific types of sites and more concerned about the breadth, depth, and quality of a site's information.
--------------------

Regards,
Arch
  • Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations.- Marcus Aurelius-Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

#164855 - 07/31/03 04:35 AM Re: SGC Website [Re: Architecht]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Arch,

market studies aside, it would be great if the message boards and the SGC site were linked back and forth for our convenience. Perhaps direct links to pop, price guide, invoice status page etc.... Thanks.

Edited by vayank (07/31/03 04:37 AM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.