Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#170280 - 08/01/03 07:10 PM Beware of AAA & NASA on eBay!
MW1
veteran

A board member contacted me earlier today and had some questions about the legitimacy of the following auction:

Link to auction -- 1937 Joe DiMaggio card

I have posted information on other forums about this material that several individuals sell on eBay, but I think it's appropriate that I also write something about it here. This was my response:

The Joe DiMaggio "card" originates from Roy Huff (aka "libertyforall" from Hawaii). He is a scam artist who cuts pictures out of magazines and baseball guides and puts them in screwdowns (with rivets) to make them look like graded baseball cards. He also takes 1937 and 1938 Goudey flipbooks and cuts them up. Each of the individual pages (as seen in the auction you referenced) are "slabbed" in an effort to trick collectors into believing they are bidding on real baseball cards. In reality, nearly every item in an "AAA" or "NASA" holder is a worthless scrap of paper.

Additional note: for those who are interested, the 1937 Goudey "Thum Movies" and 1938 Goudey "Big League Baseball Movies" can both be indexed in alphabetical and year order in either the Beckett Almanac or Standard Catalog of baseball cards. Both items contain multiple pages and were not meant to be disassembled and sold as individual "baseball cards" since they are clearly individual pieces of paper and not Joe DiMaggio "rookie cards."

#170281 - 08/01/03 07:43 PM Re: Beware of AAA & NASA on eBay! [Re: MW1]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

MW

Thanks for that. I had never heard of a set of "cards" under that name and knowing your level of familiarity with most everything I've ever had a question about from the pre WWII era, I figured I would get the scoop as it were.

As I had said in my note, there wasn't a chance that I was going to bid on anything in an Automobile Association Of America holder but I was curious to know if this were some little known set that I have never heard about.

Ron

#170282 - 08/04/03 07:51 PM Re: Beware of AAA & NASA on eBay! [Re: njdolphins]
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 11 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.