Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#177537 - 08/04/03 01:32 PM Anyone collecting/grading out new cards --- my take
estang
(S)uper Collector

I only make a point to get a Topps factory set of the base football and baseball sets, usually at Target when they hit the shelves.

I'm turned off at today's prices for cards. I know there's inflation, but $1.99 for a 12 Topps cards is way too high. Now they create Topps opening day and Topps Total with lower suggested retail pricing. I bought a pack of each and didn't think much of them. I'd prefer that they reduce the number of sub-brands. For example, why doesn't Topps look to simply increase the number of cards in their base set. Why do they even need an opening day or Total. I just don't get that. Given that they release in series, it seems like they could do 3 or 4 series and incorporate just about everyone in a base set, including a more representative history of each season that mirrors what is going on with some 3 month delay.

I was very irked (polite word) at the Topps Traded short-print job pulled in 2002. I still haven't bought that set (~$125 on ebay). If you ask me, Topps should make this up to the collector by offering a factory price on it.

I did bust 3 packs of Topps Fan Favorites when I saw a re-done 1977 Rod Carew (photo used on cover of Time magazine, better overall). I got that in one of the 3 packs along with a 1977 George Foster (original is a better photo). I'm going to send in the 77 Carew to SGC. The only post 1990 cards I've sent for grading are 2001 Topps Ichiro and a 1997 Master Tiger Woods.

As for Upper Deck, Fleer, Donruss and all the rest. They have some nice stuff but it's just overload and expensive to even dabble in it. I'd prefer to go for the vintage cards, where a Mint card or NM/MT is a real collecting challenge, not to mention I have more of a kid/fan relation to the players.

I was prompted to post this because I was tire of seeing Vayank's Mike Lowell is hot message. Lowell isn't as hot as he was, and now I think he is actually hurt.

Win Twins!

Edited by estang (08/04/03 02:02 PM)

Erik

#177538 - 08/08/03 10:41 AM almost 4 days and no responses... [Re: estang]
estang
(S)uper Collector

Modern Cards is not of interest to anyone? No one collects any new issues at this forum?

I read on beckett.com about the dealer who owns Card Shark spent $25K on some 1 of 1 Donruss produced cards of signatures with Ruth, Cobb and 2 others. It went on to say that he bought and cracked 75 cases of the product ($1500 a case) on top of what he paid the lucky finders of the other 3 cards. Outrageous!

The collector/dealer is going to hang onto them. I couldn't see him making a profit on this in the future. Could he?

Erik

#177539 - 08/08/03 12:10 PM Re: almost 4 days and no responses... [Re: estang]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

Erik

I had stopped collecting new issues entirely in 1991 due to what was a proliferation of product. Of course I was wrong as there are now many times over what existed then.

A couple of years back, Topps piqued my interested with the Archives Reserve hologram reprints of 1st and last year cards so I have the sets from the 2001 Football and Baseball that I hand collated.

Then in 2002, I put together the entire Master Set of the 2002 Topps Heritage Baseball. I had also completed the entire 100 card Chrome sub-set and all of the GrandStand Glory Seat cards. I have since sold both the sub-sets and am actually looking to sell the Master Set as well. The bottom line was that although Topps could make the cards look classic, they weren't.

For me it's the difference between going to a place like Wrigley Field or Fenway Park and going to Camden Yards. In the end, Camden's ambiance is artificially created and the others are the Real McCoy.

I still collect certain rookies of post 1990 cards but unless I really really want it, I seldom will buy it in anything but SGC 98.

My 2 cents.

Ron

#177540 - 08/08/03 04:14 PM Re: almost 4 days and no responses... [Re: estang]
chuckster
Hobbyist

Loc: Louisiana

The only modern products I've bought recently have been some autographed singles from Topps Archives. Since I collect the real 1964 Topps baseball set, I think the autographed reprints of the '64's are very interesting. Even though the cards are new, I'm only buying them because of the design and autographs of vintage players. The past few times I've bought "true" modern cards, I've been disappointed. Too many brands, short-lived popularity of sets, etc. I'll stick with vintage.
#177541 - 08/18/03 01:04 PM Re: almost 4 days and no responses... [Re: estang]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

Eric- I collect modern. Mostly football and baseball. In Football I buy boxes and sometimes cases of product to break down. I do Fleer, Upper Deck, Ultra, SP Authentic and Topps/Bowman Reserve. I than buy completes sets of Topps, Score and Stadium Club. I grade out the stars and RC's I collect for my player sets.
For the most part I do the same for baseball too.
I'm a completionist. So I'll keep buying them every year. I have cut back though on my box/case breakdowns. I put that money mostly towards vintage now.

#177542 - 11/24/03 02:54 AM Re: almost 4 days and no responses... [Re: Fabfrank]
Markbowtie
Just got here

Topps in this day and age is worthless. They never kept up with the hobby and are now just an afterthought. Collectors today want the highly limited memoribilia inserts from the top brands. Every season for every sport there is one brand that stands head and shoulders above the rest of the market and thats where the collectors flock. In our past baseball season it was the 2003 Leaf Limited set that took the market by storm and is really the only cards worth a major investment. Sure a few of the other major brands like UD had some inserts worth adding to your list but overall the inserts in Leaf were top rated by all involved.

Topps, I wouldn't waste shoebox space on them anylonger. Might as well collect sand at the beach as it's cheaper and will have about the same value in 10 years.

#177543 - 11/25/03 10:09 AM Re: almost 4 days and no responses... [Re: Markbowtie]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

Markbowtie- It really depends on how you collect. Many collectors today look for and collect whatever brand is hot or whatever has the best insert pull ratio. That's fine, but there are many collectors (usually older ones), who are completionists. They will still buy and collect the basic Topps brand because they want to continue their run of sets. I'm one of those guys. The difference now as compared to 10 years ago is that I buy a completed set rather than break down boxes to make my set.
To take it 1 step further, I also collect player runs. That's a run starting with a players RC till their final card. I basically collect the major brands (Topps, Stadium Club, Bowman, Donruss, Upper Deck, SP Authentic, Fleer, and Ultra). 1980 and newer must be a SGC 96 or better. Pre-1980 SGC 88 or better. I know it sounds crazy, but it's interesting to see how sportscards portray a players career as that career develops.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.