Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#180064 - 08/08/03 05:11 PM Re: Anyone know why a certain thread from yesterday was deleted? [Re: estang]
KLL
Hobbyist

Was SCD grading on site? I have yet to see their holder. Matter of fact, I never saw SCD while I was at the show. They are sometimes set up at shows giving away copies of the SCD and other Krause publications.
#180065 - 08/09/03 04:43 AM Dear Southern Stooge [Re: deadlyembrace]
estang
(S)uper Collector

...errr...Mr. 62 Topps.

This point was raised before on the since abolished thread. Excellent point. The "ebay market share" is a just one market share indicator for post-card grading and the best. It is better and more precise than tracking down card show and card shop and other auction houses.

However, the true market share that ebay can't capture is those who keep and don't re-sell after grading...collectors like myself.

It seems that someone who had a lot of time would have to add up through the card grading company's population report everything that they've graded, unless they all publish this somewhere.

The reality is that PSA has the lions share of the overall graded card industry. It appears that Beckett is very strong on modern cards (still don't understand why) and SGC is stronger in vintage (known more for tob.) than modern. SCD is small and probably too connected to Fristch/one dealer (which hurts them) and GAI appears to get their market share from ex-PSA folks.

Erik

#180066 - 08/09/03 08:16 AM Re: Southern Stooge??? Hm-m-m [Re: estang]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Quote:

The "ebay market share" is a just one market share indicator for post-card grading and the best. It is better and more precise than tracking down card show and card shop and other auction houses.

If I understand you correctly, we're in agreement. Ebay stats gauge market demand and have absolutely nothing to do with market share.

You only have to consider what comprises the total number of cards sold via Ebay at any given time. Cards are sold, re-sold and re-sold again and again and again. The 2nd through Nth sale represents zero benefit to the grading company ... other than, perhaps, promotional value. Resale transactions comprise some unknown percentage of "EbayWorld" and have nothing to do with measuring the relative strengths of the grading companies because they have zero impact to those companies' bottom lines.

BTW, estang, I was born in Minnesota (in Fergus Falls which is in Ottertail County) and grew up listening to the Twins on radio in the 1960's. Here in Texas, counties are named after war heros from Texas' battle with Mexico for independence. In Minnesota, apparently, it's preferable to name counties after the a$s-end of rodents. Thankfully, I've lived in the South for the last 35+ years.

#180067 - 08/09/03 04:07 PM Re: Southern Stooge??? Hm-m-m [Re: deadlyembrace]
remo
Collector

Loc: washington state

I thought this was a sports cards message board not an insult board and btw i was born in minnesota also and if i could would move back there in a heartbeat its a wonderful state.

#180068 - 08/09/03 04:23 PM Re: Southern Stooge??? Hm-m-m [Re: remo]
MW1
veteran

Remo,

No reason to be insulted. Mark's post is just in good fun. Besides, he's kind of right about Minnesota (keep in mind I'm from the Midwest).

#180069 - 08/09/03 08:03 PM Re: Southern Stooge??? Hm-m-m [Re: remo]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hey remo --

I wasn't trying to anger anyone. I was responding in kind and (hopefully) with tongue firmly planted in cheek. No one should take offense ESPECIALLY my fellow Twins fans. Estang -- were you insulted or did you smile?

Also, hopefully, the point of the thread hasn't been lost.

#180070 - 08/10/03 05:17 AM I'm all smiles [Re: deadlyembrace]
estang
(S)uper Collector

All is good. Hey, I'm going back up to MN (where I grew up) for their State Fair. There doesn't seem to be any quality card shows when I'll be in town. The Twin Cities generally puts on good shows with quality stuff, including vintage.

Today, I'll spend some of my day picking cards for my next SGC submission.

Erik

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.