Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#180054 - 08/08/03 10:36 AM Anyone know why a certain thread from yesterday was deleted?
estang
(S)uper Collector

It was in reference to a "KLL" starting a thread about how PSA has 93% "ebay market share". I then did a real-time ebay search and found that with PSA,Beckett,GAI, SCD and SGC it was really a 70% "ebay market share".

Even Sean from SGC chimed in at some point. Anyone know why this was deleted. I'm wondering if my research triggered a nasty dialogue that I missed. Plus it took me some time to make that post.

Erik

#180055 - 08/08/03 11:07 AM Re: Anyone know why a certain thread from yesterday was deleted? [Re: estang]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I guess we can fire the thread back up.

I responded to your post estang with the comment that I think that your results were skewed by Beckett's position in modern cards -- they are doing very well there. I did a similar search last november by decade and it looked alot different that yours. It is in another thread, so I will go get it and post it below.

#180056 - 08/08/03 11:12 AM Re: Anyone know why a certain thread from yesterday was deleted? [Re: srs1a]
srs1a

this was my post from last november in the "GAI has PSA spooked" thread...from last November

I did a quick look at eBAY auctions to estimate what market share each of the major grading companies have in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. I estimate market share by the percentage of cards for auction by each grading company (far from exact, I'm sure...but sort of interesting, anyway).

(1) the combination of PSA, SGC, BGS/BVG and GAI have >94% of the market in the 50's, 60's and 70's!...this drops to 80% in the 80's and about 40% in the 90's -- so, the offbrands have no pressence in the vintage market -- no suprise here.

(2) PSA dominates the vintage market -- 88% in the 50's, 79% in the 60's and 75% in the 70's. SGC, BGS/BVG, and GAI basically split up the rest in the 50's (2.6%, 2.6%, and 2.2%, respectively) and also in the 60's (5.6%, 4.0%, and 5.1%). SGC's best decade is the 70's (I'd wager that their best year is 77 based on what I see here!) where they've got 12.9% to 5.7 for BVG/BGS to 1% for GAI.

(3) BGS picks up steam in the 80's and 90's...while SGC drops a bit and GAI disappears.

I'll try to do the same searches and see how it has changed in the last 9 months.

Scott

#180057 - 08/08/03 11:33 AM Re: Anyone know why a certain thread from yesterday was deleted? [Re: srs1a]
KLL
Hobbyist

I would also like to know why the thread was deleted.

I have never really followed any of the other grading services other than PSA, SGC and now, GAI. They seem to be a vintage grading company. I liked their holder. Very much like SGC (a bit lighter in weight). The overall eye appeal is close to SGC, but I like SGC's holder a bit more. I think SGC's holder seems to be a bit wider, which presents the card better.

My main question is their grading abiltity. Are they good? Has anyone had any cross over experience with GAI to SGC holders? The dealers that I spoke with at the National were very pleased, but they are selling the cards. Any collector experience?

#180058 - 08/08/03 11:43 AM Re: Anyone know why a certain thread from yesterday was deleted? [Re: KLL]
srs1a

Some pretty lively discussion on the perceived strengths and weaknesses of GAI here:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=211283

#180059 - 08/08/03 12:13 PM Re: Anyone know why a certain thread from yesterday was deleted? [Re: srs1a]
srs1a

I redid the same searches that I did last November and, if anything, GAI seems to be losing traction...and BGS/BVG gaining ground. The GAI result is consistent with my feelings, the Beckett's result suprised me. SGC looks to be holding pretty steady.

50's -- PSA 85%, SGC 4.1%, GAI 2.7%, BGS/BVG 3.1%
60's -- PSA 79%, SGC 4.7%, GAI 1.9%, BGS/BVG 8.9%
70's -- PSA 89%, SGC 2.4%, GAI 1.3%, BGS/BVG 3.4%
80's -- PSA 61%, SGC 1.2%, GAI 0.6%, BGS/BVG 9%

I think that August is about the slowest month of the year on eBAY for cards, so take all of this with a grain of salt -- the numbers for the 70's look especially funny.

One more comment, the searches that I did seem to inflate the PSA numbers since they catch all the PRO auctions that "offer a free PSA card of their choice" or similar trick to show up in a PSA search. I know I saw several of these in the search results.

#180060 - 08/08/03 01:14 PM Re: Anyone know why a certain thread from yesterday was deleted? [Re: estang]
SeanSGC
Everything SGC

Loc: NJ

The thread was removed by the moderators because some of the posts had become unproductive and not very constructive. However, I encourage healthy discussions about our industry including market share as it relates to grading services, etc. Please feel free to continue the discussion and hopefully it will be done in a more productive fashion this time. If anyone has any questions for me about this topic or anything else, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to comment.

Regards,
Sean-SGC

#180061 - 08/08/03 01:47 PM Re: Anyone know why a certain thread from yesterday was deleted? [Re: estang]
estang
(S)uper Collector

Thanks.

I read the SCD weekly today about The National in Atlantic City. Looked like the reviews were mixed (aren't they always). Their report seemed to have missed any observations about grading card companies. I'm in the ATL area and that is the only National I attended, which seems to have been considered one of the worst. Even Mr. Mint stated something to the effect that Atlantic City is right up there with Atlanta as the worst cities for The National. Too bad, because we don't have a single decent card show around here. I had nothing to compare it to. I found it huge and interesting.

Anyway, I think SGC is doing a great job and their "ebay market share" and visibility has grown since I've been doing ebay searches. I guess I still don't understand why Beckett is more popular for modern cards than vintage. It is a large disparity.

Erik

#180062 - 08/08/03 03:12 PM Re: Anyone know why a certain thread from yesterday was deleted? [Re: estang]
srs1a

I wonder what happened after I went to bed.

#180063 - 08/08/03 03:28 PM Re: Anyone know why a certain thread from yesterday was deleted? [Re: KLL]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

It's risky to draw conclusions about the relative strengths among card grading companies IN THEIR INDUSTRY based on the percentage of cards, graded by each company, that are available on Ebay at any given time.

The presumption is that EVERY card graded by each company is subsequently sold on Ebay, and therefore, a check of "Ebay representation" can be used to gauge market share of each company.

That's crazy!!

I'd appreciate it if someone would enlighten this ignorant, southern dumba$s and explain the connection between Ebay availability and card grading industry market share.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.