Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#181122 - 08/10/03 12:45 PM Is There A Doctor In The House?
botn
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Santa Monica, CA

I was asked to view a certain notable dealer's webpage to view certain cards on that site. It seems that every one of the six examples have a similar "look" on the top edge and top corners. The last time that I came out and posted several images of cards that I felt were not graded accurately I got into a little "trouble". Therefore this time I will only ask for others to render an opinion or comment. Does the wear on the corners look natural?

www.botn.com/ex1.jpg
www.botn.com/ex2.jpg
www.botn.com/ex3.jpg
www.botn.com/ex4.jpg
www.botn.com/ex5.jpg
www.botn.com/ex6.jpg

Then there were these three examples from the same dealers page. Do these cards look accurately graded?

www.botn.com/ex7.jpg
www.botn.com/ex8.jpg
www.botn.com/ex9.jpg

This post is to serve only as an attempt for you vintage collectors and dealers to assist me in refining my grading skills. Thanks for your input.

Greg

#181123 - 08/10/03 07:09 PM Re: Is There A Doctor In The House? [Re: botn]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Some of those look really bad. The overgrades especially the Campanella
is horrible. And if I handed in that 55 Clemente it would of been lucky to
score a 7.

My question is do you think people have become more picky with there
card purchases compared to say two-three years ago? I wonder if the
number of straight holder buyers has gone down. I would think though
a bad eight will get you more money than a decent seven every day
of the week!

aconte

#181124 - 08/11/03 08:13 AM Re: Is There A Doctor In The House? [Re: botn]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Greg,

All of the cards in the upper grouping come from issues that I do not collect and have no particular expertise. That being said, the T205's top border looks awfully clean for the amount of corner damage...I guess I would have expected to see some flaking. The top border on the '49 Campy is wavy enough to make me sea sick. All the rest look to have plenty of room in their holders -- so that looks a little suspicious, but I don't see anything notable (except the 2 Foxx's and the Manush are about the ugliest 8's I've ever seen). Judging from the title of the thread, I'd say you suspect some sort of doctoring -- I'd appreciate learning more about what you see in the cards and what you look for.

On the lower grouping, I would think that Hornsby's UR corner would preclude an 8. Campy's centering is really marginal -- especially with the T/B diamond cut...too close to say without measuring. Clemente looks like a PSA-8 slider to me -- probably OK to the book but lacking eye appeal (I assume the R edge is a rough cut...of perhaps just between pixels in the scan).

My 2 cents and, again, would greatly appreciate more learned commentary.

Scott

#181125 - 08/11/03 03:11 PM Re: Is There A Doctor In The House? [Re: botn]
KLL
Hobbyist

I really can't tell all that much from the scans. I did some checking on the 1949 Bowman Campy (The only one that I checked).

If you check the 3 cards before and after the Campy serial number, you would see the following:

02023074 1949 B Berra PSA 9
02023073 1949 B Musial TRIMMED
02023072 1932 US CAR Simmons PSA 9
02023076 1949 B Campy PSA 8
02023077 1953 T Mays PSA 9 (I can't read my writing-I think it is a Mays)
02023078 1954 B Mays PSA 8

One hell of a submission. At least they caught the Musial.

#181126 - 08/11/03 04:57 PM Re: Is There A Doctor In The House? *DELETED* [Re: botn]
MW1
veteran

Post deleted by dena
#181127 - 08/11/03 05:34 PM Re: Is There A Doctor In The House? [Re: MW1]
KLL
Hobbyist

MW

I checked the cert # on the 34 GO Gehrig. Numerous other 34 Goudey were submitted at the same time. Believe it or not, 3 PSA 10's were had from that same submission! Incredible!!

#181128 - 08/11/03 05:39 PM Re: Is There A Doctor In The House? *DELETED* [Re: KLL]
MW1
veteran

Post deleted by dena
#181129 - 08/11/03 06:16 PM Re: Is There A Doctor In The House? [Re: MW1]
botn

Mike,

Those examples are just atrocious. Thanks for sharing. PSA must be proud of those examples.

I was doing a search of cert numbers around the 33 Lajoie "6" and there were nothing but 9's and 10's. In there was a 48 Leaf Roby 9 and some other monster cards. No idea who the submitter was but he sure has a good eye for high grade cards.

I believe that it is PSA's position that not many WIWAG cards are in circulation anymore since they got most of them back. They also claim that the population of cards that were subject of the fraud were mostly modern cards and not vintage. Also you mentioned resealed. I do not remember anyone stating that the holders were resealed. It maybe that something else occurred that is far more serious. But that is a whole other topic in itself just like what has happened to Real Legends Grade N Trade? Since the WIWAG scandal they are no longer in business.

But back to the topic...I wandered. It reasons that PSA is not too concerned about that Guarantee that they offer. I just do not understand the motivation surrounding polluting the hobby with examples such as these.

Greg

#181130 - 08/12/03 01:09 PM Re: Is There A Doctor In The House? *DELETED* [Re: botn]
MW1
veteran

Post deleted by dena
#181131 - 08/12/03 09:01 PM Re: Is There A Doctor In The House? [Re: MW1]
botn

Mike,

I have very little in the way of inventory in PSA holders and my personal collection consists of none. I did not make that adjustment until the Chicago National when I spent time speaking with several dealers who were very frank about having cards restored and how easy it is to get them into PSA holders. I knew that this was occurring but not in the numbers that I was presented.

I would agree with you that there are far more collectors and some dealers who are more concerned today with having their money tied up in PSA graded cards then there were this time last year. There are several factors: WIWAG scandal and the impact of the poor handling by PSA and the FBI, talk of the half point system, new holder (as you mentioned) and lets not overlook the frustration that exists relating to the extreme inconsistencies in the grading room. I have been submitting since 1994, I have never seen such variances in grading. That was one of the key factors in my decision to use SGC and GAI exclusively.

I would only hope that the examples that we posted in this thread and all others like them will not be purchased by collectors who are holder buyers and will in fact remain in the dealer’s inventory. At some point it would be great to see PSA be forced to "retire" cards like those but recent history illustrates that this will most likely not happen.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.