Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1821016 - 08/02/07 01:36 PM New To Graded Cards -- Need Advice
Bammer
Just got here

Hi All,

I'm new to graded cards and I need a little advice. I really decided to go to graded cards for my vintage Yankee cards. Where I need the advice is my modern cards, most of which I'm trying to sell.

My question: Is grading viable (and helpful) for selling modern cards, especially on eBay? I'm really getting tired of listing a $15 to $30 card, and maybe only receiving a couple or three bucks for it. On the other hand, I don't really want to pay for grading these modern cards if all I'm going to make is less than the grading fee.

Any thoughts or advice from any veteran members would be helpful and appreciated. Thank you all very much

Bammer (Brian Blankenburg)

#1821526 - 08/02/07 06:05 PM Re: New To Graded Cards -- Need Advice [Re: Bammer]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

Originally Posted By: Bammer
Hi All,

I'm new to graded cards and I need a little advice. I really decided to go to graded cards for my vintage Yankee cards. Where I need the advice is my modern cards, most of which I'm trying to sell.

My question: Is grading viable (and helpful) for selling modern cards, especially on eBay? I'm really getting tired of listing a $15 to $30 card, and maybe only receiving a couple or three bucks for it. On the other hand, I don't really want to pay for grading these modern cards if all I'm going to make is less than the grading fee.

Any thoughts or advice from any veteran members would be helpful and appreciated. Thank you all very much

Bammer (Brian Blankenburg)

Not sure what you mean by modern, but I do not think there are many cards that warrant grading in the last 10 years. There are certainly exceptions e.g. Albert Puljos Rookies etc. In general, unless a card gets graded Gem Mint or Pristine, I think you can do about as well selling the card raw. If you develop your grading eye and can narrow in on the Gem's and Pristines, grading may be of benefit. However, that will likely take some practice, which will cost you a little money.

#1824543 - 08/04/07 05:35 PM Re: New To Graded Cards -- Need Advice [Re: FYS]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Grading generally adds value to a card if it grades pretty close to what it was considered as a raw card. For modern "right out of the pack" cards, I would suggest sending in only super stars that would grade 9 or higher.

Years ago, I wanted to be the guy that printed the price guides.

These days, I want to be the guy that puts the grade on the flip and slabs the card.

These are the fellows that effectively set the price and are the only ones guaranteed to make money; i.e., the equivalent of THE HOUSE* in other circles.[/wink]

* vig, bookie
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.