Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#1861 - 07/09/02 07:23 AM Best Baseball card sets ever.....
vic6string
The Collectinator

Loc: Miami, Florida

I am just curious to hear what you all think are some of the best vintage sets you ever collected. The judging criteria would be aesthetic appeal (it looks nice) and player quality (good rookie crop, good amount of stars, etc). Here's my list...

1. 1975 Topps - I don't think I have to go into too much detail on this one.
2. 1983 Topps - Gwynn, Boggs, Sandberg, Super Veterans, two player pictures on the front (first time ever, I believe)
3. 1971 Topps - The backs weren't all that, but the black bordered fronts were excellent. Alot of underrated rookies (Garvey, Blyleven, Foster, Baker/Baylor, Simmons, Concepcion)

I never had the funds to make the obvious super sets like 52 Topps, 55 Bowman, etc.

#1862 - 07/11/02 03:59 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

No surprise here: I like the 1977 Baseball Topps. Simple and attractive design. It provides a great cross roads for baseball. You get cards from guys who started playing in the 50's and some who played through the 90's. A few great RCs tossed in. A very broad reach.

#1863 - 07/11/02 08:43 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
Anonymous Unregistered

My favorites are:
72 Topps- My main collecting year as a kid
84 Donruss- The set that brought me back to collecting
63 Topps- Mint cards have great photography and sharp colors
71 Topps, 85 Donruss, 86 Topps- Just 2 words BLACK BORDERS

#1864 - 07/13/02 05:56 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

I'm hooked on the 1962 Topps baseball set. Outstanding selection of star players, great photography, high quality cards can still be found (if you look hard enough), and the woodgrain border distinguishes the set from most/all the rest.

I also collect the 1969 Topps baseball set, but only when not in hot pursuit of '62 Topps cards.

Any other '62 Topps collectors out there?

#1865 - 07/13/02 02:36 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: deadlyembrace]
vic6string
The Collectinator

Loc: Miami, Florida

I love the 62 set too. I once had the Stan Musial and the Lou Brock and Gaylord Perry rookies in near mint shape(all were stolen) and those were among my favorite cards. Hard to believe people will pay more for an Ichiro Suziki rookie than those 3 cards combined now!!! I think my love for those is what made me make the 1987 Topps set. It might be wildly over-produced, but it had a great rookie crop, some all time greats in some of their last cards, and a similar wooden border. I have about 11 of those 87 sets because I bought 5 rack pack boxes a few years back for like $5 a box. The 55 bowman set with the wooden TV border is great too. That wood border look really works for some reason.
#1866 - 07/13/02 04:26 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

vic6string --

Sorry to hear of your loss (stolen cards), but it's good to know there are other '62 Topps fans out there. I have the Musial and Gaylord Perry featured on my "About Me" page on Ebay. Both are SGC 96.

For these and other '62 Topps cards ... as well as a few '69 Topps ... check out:

DeadlyEmbrace's About Me Page

#1867 - 07/16/02 06:50 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: deadlyembrace]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Easy one for me.

The red man tobacco series from the 50's.

My second place set would be the 64 Topps Giants sets. Great cards with
plenty of Hofers that won't cost a fortune to get.

Honorable mentions for me go to:

76 topps baseball and 75 topps minis.

aconte

#1868 - 07/16/02 06:50 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: deadlyembrace]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Easy one for me.

The red man tobacco series from the 50's.

My second place set would be the 64 Topps Giants sets. Great cards with
plenty of Hofers that won't cost a fortune to get.

Honorable mentions for me go to:

76 topps baseball and 75 topps minis.

aconte

#1869 - 07/16/02 03:15 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
chuckster
Hobbyist

Loc: Louisiana

I like the 1964 Topps regular set. The design is pretty simple, but also colorful and attractive.
#1870 - 08/14/02 05:15 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

For me, it's got to be the Red Man issues. The artwork is stunning. A Jackie Robinson & Mickey Mantle card would have made these sets much more popular.
I like to imagine what they might have looked like. I like these cards so much, I've laminated tabless copies for use as coasters. Of more recent vintage I enjoy collecting 1977-1978 topps baseball. Truly the sets of my youth.

#1871 - 08/16/02 01:28 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
Anonymous Unregistered

Topps really outdid themselves in 1959. Such a colorful set with a great improvement to the card stock (vs. 1958) makes 1959 a great collectible. Picture in a circle with an autograph is striking. No capital letters on the player name is a unique touch, too. Putting Mantle in the first series was great for the kids. Opening that first pack in the early spring and finding "the Mick" has to rank right up there with winning the lottery.

Gibson's rookie is a key to the set and a tough high number.

The white card backs are easy to read and include full career statistics. Gray back variations in the middle series are a little tougher to read, but not too bad.

The rookie prospect cards in the second series was a first and never repeated. Problem there is the design with the pointed shields, making for a tough challenge to find centered ones.

My personal collecting belief is that top grade first series cards (1-110) are found in lesser quantity than even the high numbers (507-572). First series cards were somewhat short printed to begin with and command a premium when found raw. But also, kids handled their first series cards all summer long, while high series cards barely made it out of the pack before school and football season began.

Finally, some of the player names are priceless. How about Vito Valentinetti (think he might have had a great Italian restaurant in retirement?), or Coot Veal (what were his parents thinking?), or Zeke Bella & Turk Lown? What image does Rocky Bridges bring to mind? What's a Hobie Landrith? And my two all-time favorites: Whammy Douglas and Granny Hamner!! Here's one of the friendliest, well-respected guys in the game: Solly Hemus. Finally, in the last series, you've got Chick King, Elmer Singleton and Howie Nunn. Funny stuff.

#1872 - 08/16/02 06:16 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

My all-time favorites are

(1) '68 Topps -- Ryan and Bench rookies, Seaver/Carew 2nd year and a ton of HOFers

(2) '63 Topps -- a beautiful and really tough set to put together in NM or better condition...the semi-high and high numbers can drive you crazy!

#1873 - 08/23/02 08:23 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

by far i think 54,55,56 sets were the best... what nostalgia!!! seeing the oil-paintings of the players. In act, Its what theywere shooting for in 2001-2002 topps heritage which are so popular.

the RC are wonderful too.. Aaron, Banks, Kaline, Koufax, Clemente, Killebrew...did i forget some???Im sure i did...

well that is my2 cents worth

#1874 - 08/24/02 10:05 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: Lothar52]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Hi Lothar --

Welcome aboard.

Regarding the '54, '55 and '56 Topps baseball sets, I don't think those portrait shots were oil paintings ... although I stand to be corrected. I used to own some of the highest quality '54s, '55s and '56s available, and if I recall correctly, both the portrait and action shots shown on the faces of cards in those sets were photos. But, like I said, I could be wrong.

OK ... who can set the record straight on this one???

#1875 - 08/24/02 10:08 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: srs1a]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Hi srs1a --

Welcome to the (better) boards.

Are you building a '68 Topps baseball set?

#1876 - 08/24/02 10:11 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
Anonymous Unregistered

For me it has to be the 1952-55 Red Man tobacco sets, very closely followed by the 1958 and 1959 Topps sets. The Red Mans have great images of the players and their size makes if very difficult to complete sets in NrMt condition, with the tabs intact.

The Red Man sets have had be "hooked" for 20+ years, but the very first cards I ever collected were 1958 and 59 Topps. The color of the cards, and the vivid images of the players faces on the 58's and 59's were great. I still flash back to those years when ever I get a whiff of a piece of Topps bubblegum. Oh, the memories!!!

As it turns out, a 55 year old friend of mine just found over 400 of the 1957, 1958 and 1959 Topps cards in an old cigar box in his basement. Really, I kid you not!!! Just when you think all of the cards from ones' old childhood had been lost. He had multiple cards of Williams, Maris, Mantle, Musial, Banks and several other hall-of-famers. I purchased the cards from him and now will begin the process of trying to complete these sets. I no longer have my childhood cards from the late 50's, so this "find" has got me hooked again.

The search for nirvana continues!

mrredman

#1877 - 08/24/02 04:48 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: deadlyembrace]
Lothar52
enthusiast

hey there... thanks for welcoming me bud

oh by the way i saw your 62s and 69s on your web site and they are out of site...they must bring u great joy

im not only new to the boards but im new to SGC...i have been a longtime psa/bgs collector and im just tired of those to companies..while sgc is not as respected but respects the people who work with it and gives consistent grading...my choice is now SGC

your right...those are real black and white photos of the players...they were just "painted" by a part time artist for topps back in the day... true story...Nowthen...the 54 topps set show painted protrait with black and white shot NOTpainted but the 55 and 56 do have painted action shot... i personally think the 54s look more like REAL pics then the 55 and 56.. but i love them all no matter what. I do not have a scanner so i cant share my cards right now.... u guys seems like high end dealers and collectors... i say ill have to wait till after med school but im satisfied with 4-7 range on cards just as long as there is no creases, and the centering is 55/45 or better. This may seem funny but i like the corners showing wear...makes me think of those now 50 some yr old people who as kids traded cards in a purer time... know what i mean????

likei said im 25, a med student, and i grewup in a time when 1990 score and BO FB/BB was the hottest thing going... i find peace out of the rigamarole of up today down tomorrow modern cards with the more stable and better designed yesteryear card of true baseball players and honest to goodness rolemodels not corrupted by the allmighty dollar (Bo knows run-on-sentences).

oh well.. write back soon guys.

lothar52

#1878 - 08/24/02 05:58 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: Lothar52]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Lothar >

great to have you on the SGC team! Welcome aboard!

#1879 - 08/25/02 02:57 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: Lothar52]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Painting of a picture ...

I understand, now. My (very retired) parents have one of those of the family hanging in their den. Very popular in the '50s and '60s, I guess.

When you mentioned oil painting, my knee-jerk first thought was something along the lines of the portraits found in the '53 Topps set.

Thanks for clearing that up.

#1880 - 08/25/02 11:44 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever.....
Lothar52
enthusiast

thanks vayank... good to find a place with classic guys who love vintage stuff... likeive always said....out with the new, in with the old LOL

lothar52

#1881 - 08/26/02 03:51 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
Lothar52
enthusiast

I think the 1964 set with white orders... its AWESOME... the cards look so clean and nice... its a very underrated set with great shots of Mays, Mantle, and Koufax. I personally think its the best shot of willie mays in all his cards...thats right...all of this cards.... he dont look funny or silly in the picture (personal opinion is he is a funny lookin guy...dont get me wrong...he was one if not the best allaround player ever...i just think he looks funny). i also like the 86 topps design that kind of mirrors it but goes with more black borders...too bad the regular set aint worth squat....but love that traded set

Lothar52

#1882 - 09/16/02 07:11 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: deadlyembrace]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Hi DE and thanks for the welcome. I am a relatively old school collector (at least old!) and re-started collecting in the late '80's focused on "nice" quality star cards from the 50's. With the advent of grading, I discovered that my "nice" corresponded to somewhere between a 6 and 7. I have been getting cards slabbed for about 6 years and I am a recent convert from PSA to SGC.

1968 was the year that I collected big time as a kid. I still have my old set, but it is really rough -- Mr. Mantle went to school with me every day -- and looks like it! About 5 years ago, I decided to rebuild the set -- it was alot of fun and it is now complete -- 110 of the cards are slabbed, including every HOFer. The tally is:

14 PSA-7's
56 PSA-8's

8 SGC-86's
14 SGC-88's
13 SGC-92's
3 SGC-96's

1 BGS-7.5
1 BGS-8.0

I registered the PSA piece and it checks in as #18.

I bought several large lots of commons from vending to finish it up which were georgous (ebay from vintageauctions) -- I combed through them and sent in the 3 freshest (J. Niekro, T. Agee and F. Howard) and scored 3 SGC-96's. I have quite a few really nice dupes, so if anyone out there is struggling with this set, I might be able to help you out.

I'm now working on a '63 set -- talk about tough (I'm preaching to the choir since you're a '62 guy!). I'm going for a solid NM set -- and have 44 more cards to go.

#1883 - 09/16/02 04:06 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: srs1a]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Hi srs1a --

Wish I'd known about your '68 set a bit earlier. I just mailed three '68 Topps WS cards (including the Gibson), all graded SGC 98, for consignment in a future independent auction.

Good luck on the '63 Topps set. I seem to notice even fewer available top quality '63s than '62s ... if that's possible. Chipping around the bottom, solid colored edges seems to plague '63s that are otherwise drop-dead beauties. But hey ... if it wasn't challenging, it wouldn't be fun ... right?

#1884 - 09/30/02 02:39 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
Anonymous Unregistered

I pick the T3 Turkey Red set. Will these oversized cabinet style cards ever get slabbed due to their size?
#1885 - 09/30/02 11:54 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever.....
downgoesfrazier

Those are awesome. If they are ever slabbed, SGC or GAI holders would look nice.

#1886 - 10/05/02 01:10 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
Anonymous Unregistered

Do you guys even understand what a VINTAGE baseball card is? Anything made after WW2 is a MODERN card.
#1887 - 10/05/02 04:47 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever.....
downgoesfrazier

ok. If you say so, then it is so. Now go away.

#1888 - 10/05/02 06:27 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Anonymous Unregistered

For myself, my obsessions are the 1933 Goudey and 1975 Topps minis. The colors when well focused just draw me into them. I should admit though I was born in 75 so I may be overly partial to that year.

Edited by poor33 (10/05/02 06:36 PM)

#1889 - 10/06/02 12:44 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever.....
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

poor33 > One of my prized cards is a 1933 Goudey #25 Paul Waner SGC 30, so I know what you mean.....

#1890 - 10/06/02 01:49 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vayank]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

New Thread for Discussion of "How Do You Define Vintage and Why?!"

#1891 - 10/06/02 01:44 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

Sounds like a nice card. I m having my nicer ones graded by SGC soon. I have around 90 percent on the set but I have done this on a graduate student's budget so I have been a big fan of pinholes, creases and the like. And my "nicer" ones might be in the 30-50 range. But they just look so good in the holder and having them graded I think will make upgrading an easier proposition I am doing it anyway.

I have managed to avoid back damage among the bulk of the set mainly because one of the appeals of the 33 Goudey's for me is reading the stories on the back. Once the set registery is up I ll list my SGC cards. Right now I have 4 SGC's and 5 PSA's. I might have 30-40 that are clean enough to dare show to SGC. The rest are "special", one has the players name phoenetically analyzed, one is taped together, a few have listed on the back the players stats for multiple years or that he was traded. So while they look good in my binder I may wait till I upgrade to send them to reside in a pretty holder.

#1892 - 10/06/02 02:48 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever.....
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

P > C'mon...cross over those psa slabs...

#1893 - 10/06/02 03:20 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

Eventually I see them all being in SGC holders but if that happens by upgrading to better cards in the SGC holder or crossing them over I cannot yet guess. No need to convert me to SGC though, the ones in PSA holders came because of availability not preference.

#1894 - 10/07/02 02:28 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever.....
Anonymous Unregistered

I see you like 1933 Goudeys. I have a few of these to trade for pre-1920 tobacco, Early Candy, and General Baking cards. Give me an email if a trade is possible. Most of the Goudeys I have will range from Good- VG.

email: Revelation21_22@yahoo.com

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (goldenhawk) and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.025 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.