Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#1871 - 08/16/02 01:28 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
Anonymous Unregistered

Topps really outdid themselves in 1959. Such a colorful set with a great improvement to the card stock (vs. 1958) makes 1959 a great collectible. Picture in a circle with an autograph is striking. No capital letters on the player name is a unique touch, too. Putting Mantle in the first series was great for the kids. Opening that first pack in the early spring and finding "the Mick" has to rank right up there with winning the lottery.

Gibson's rookie is a key to the set and a tough high number.

The white card backs are easy to read and include full career statistics. Gray back variations in the middle series are a little tougher to read, but not too bad.

The rookie prospect cards in the second series was a first and never repeated. Problem there is the design with the pointed shields, making for a tough challenge to find centered ones.

My personal collecting belief is that top grade first series cards (1-110) are found in lesser quantity than even the high numbers (507-572). First series cards were somewhat short printed to begin with and command a premium when found raw. But also, kids handled their first series cards all summer long, while high series cards barely made it out of the pack before school and football season began.

Finally, some of the player names are priceless. How about Vito Valentinetti (think he might have had a great Italian restaurant in retirement?), or Coot Veal (what were his parents thinking?), or Zeke Bella & Turk Lown? What image does Rocky Bridges bring to mind? What's a Hobie Landrith? And my two all-time favorites: Whammy Douglas and Granny Hamner!! Here's one of the friendliest, well-respected guys in the game: Solly Hemus. Finally, in the last series, you've got Chick King, Elmer Singleton and Howie Nunn. Funny stuff.

#1872 - 08/16/02 06:16 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

My all-time favorites are

(1) '68 Topps -- Ryan and Bench rookies, Seaver/Carew 2nd year and a ton of HOFers

(2) '63 Topps -- a beautiful and really tough set to put together in NM or better condition...the semi-high and high numbers can drive you crazy!

#1873 - 08/23/02 08:23 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

by far i think 54,55,56 sets were the best... what nostalgia!!! seeing the oil-paintings of the players. In act, Its what theywere shooting for in 2001-2002 topps heritage which are so popular.

the RC are wonderful too.. Aaron, Banks, Kaline, Koufax, Clemente, Killebrew...did i forget some???Im sure i did...

well that is my2 cents worth

#1874 - 08/24/02 10:05 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: Lothar52]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hi Lothar --

Welcome aboard.

Regarding the '54, '55 and '56 Topps baseball sets, I don't think those portrait shots were oil paintings ... although I stand to be corrected. I used to own some of the highest quality '54s, '55s and '56s available, and if I recall correctly, both the portrait and action shots shown on the faces of cards in those sets were photos. But, like I said, I could be wrong.

OK ... who can set the record straight on this one???

#1875 - 08/24/02 10:08 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: srs1a]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Hi srs1a --

Welcome to the (better) boards.

Are you building a '68 Topps baseball set?

#1876 - 08/24/02 10:11 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: vic6string]
Anonymous Unregistered

For me it has to be the 1952-55 Red Man tobacco sets, very closely followed by the 1958 and 1959 Topps sets. The Red Mans have great images of the players and their size makes if very difficult to complete sets in NrMt condition, with the tabs intact.

The Red Man sets have had be "hooked" for 20+ years, but the very first cards I ever collected were 1958 and 59 Topps. The color of the cards, and the vivid images of the players faces on the 58's and 59's were great. I still flash back to those years when ever I get a whiff of a piece of Topps bubblegum. Oh, the memories!!!

As it turns out, a 55 year old friend of mine just found over 400 of the 1957, 1958 and 1959 Topps cards in an old cigar box in his basement. Really, I kid you not!!! Just when you think all of the cards from ones' old childhood had been lost. He had multiple cards of Williams, Maris, Mantle, Musial, Banks and several other hall-of-famers. I purchased the cards from him and now will begin the process of trying to complete these sets. I no longer have my childhood cards from the late 50's, so this "find" has got me hooked again.

The search for nirvana continues!

mrredman

#1877 - 08/24/02 04:48 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: deadlyembrace]
Lothar52
enthusiast

hey there... thanks for welcoming me bud

oh by the way i saw your 62s and 69s on your web site and they are out of site...they must bring u great joy

im not only new to the boards but im new to SGC...i have been a longtime psa/bgs collector and im just tired of those to companies..while sgc is not as respected but respects the people who work with it and gives consistent grading...my choice is now SGC

your right...those are real black and white photos of the players...they were just "painted" by a part time artist for topps back in the day... true story...Nowthen...the 54 topps set show painted protrait with black and white shot NOTpainted but the 55 and 56 do have painted action shot... i personally think the 54s look more like REAL pics then the 55 and 56.. but i love them all no matter what. I do not have a scanner so i cant share my cards right now.... u guys seems like high end dealers and collectors... i say ill have to wait till after med school but im satisfied with 4-7 range on cards just as long as there is no creases, and the centering is 55/45 or better. This may seem funny but i like the corners showing wear...makes me think of those now 50 some yr old people who as kids traded cards in a purer time... know what i mean????

likei said im 25, a med student, and i grewup in a time when 1990 score and BO FB/BB was the hottest thing going... i find peace out of the rigamarole of up today down tomorrow modern cards with the more stable and better designed yesteryear card of true baseball players and honest to goodness rolemodels not corrupted by the allmighty dollar (Bo knows run-on-sentences).

oh well.. write back soon guys.

lothar52

#1878 - 08/24/02 05:58 PM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: Lothar52]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Lothar >

great to have you on the SGC team! Welcome aboard!

#1879 - 08/25/02 02:57 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever..... [Re: Lothar52]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Painting of a picture ...

I understand, now. My (very retired) parents have one of those of the family hanging in their den. Very popular in the '50s and '60s, I guess.

When you mentioned oil painting, my knee-jerk first thought was something along the lines of the portraits found in the '53 Topps set.

Thanks for clearing that up.

#1880 - 08/25/02 11:44 AM Re: Best Baseball card sets ever.....
Lothar52
enthusiast

thanks vayank... good to find a place with classic guys who love vintage stuff... likeive always said....out with the new, in with the old LOL

lothar52

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.