Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1961213 - 10/15/07 02:22 PM How Do You Guys Decide What To Grade
SoonerCowboy
Hobbyist

Loc: Oklahoma

First of all I apologize for originally putting this in the wrong section. Anyway, I'm about to send in a 12 card sub for an early Christmas present. I'm sending in from the 2000 CE Supreme set Shaun Alexander Perfect 10 insert redemtion 1 of 100, Ricky Williams Black auto #'d/230, Bubba Franks hologold parallel #''d/20, Chad Pennington Edgetech insert #"d/100, Peyton Manning #59A Auto #'d/300, Randy Moss and Peyton Manning Edgetech #'d/100, Lavar Arrington RC #'d/2000 but actual number unknown(Pulled from production), Brian Urlacher RC #'d/2000 mail in redemption. Also sending a 1987 Topps Barry Bond(I know but he is the all-time hr leader), 1968 Topps Rico Terocelli(I've had this forever) and 1990 Fleer Emmitt Smith. I'll post the before pictures later.

So this lead me to ask: When you are deciding on what to send in for grading what factors influence your decision:
1. Are you trying to grade a set?
2. The value of the card?
3. The possible future value of the card?
4. Sentimental reason?
5. All of the above

I'm trying to keep some kind of traffic on this site. I really like the new layout of the board and SGC is my overall favorite grading company. Value wise and appearance wise.And the posts on this board have substance. Another words there isn't 5,000 "look at my new patch card" posts

Edited by SoonerCowboy (10/15/07 02:28 PM)

#1961487 - 10/15/07 04:42 PM Re: How Do You Guys Decide What To Grade [Re: SoonerCowboy]
royalbrett
Hobbyist

Loc: Mid-Michigan

I've actually never sent in a card to get graded.

If I did, my main two reasons would be:
1. Send in George Brett cards so I could add them to my Brett player registry

2. Send in some of my "higher" value cards so that they would have a higher liquid value than if they were raw.

At some point, I'll probably send in some Bretts. However, my other hobby is going to be sucking most of my extra money (fixing up my father's 1970 Chevelle), so it probably won't happen soon.

#1961676 - 10/15/07 06:23 PM Re: How Do You Guys Decide What To Grade [Re: SoonerCowboy]
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Sooner

For myself, the condition of the card is the sole determination on whether I submit or not. The card can be for a registry set or for a future sale - it has to exhibit high grade characteristics (corners, centering, surface, etc). Though there is a market for mid-grade vintage cards (early 60's issues and older) - my understanding is that newer cards do not benefit from a slabbed grade less than mint.

Certainly collect what you like, but consider grading costs vs the realistic condition of your cards when preparing your submission. I have no idea on increased value for newer cards with either factory autographs or limited distribution. Maybe grade is not as important as the authentication output.

Good luck

#1961785 - 10/15/07 07:23 PM Re: How Do You Guys Decide What To Grade [Re: stanthemanfan]
SoonerCowboy
Hobbyist

I "normally" don't grade cards if their value is under $20 but like the first 3 cards in my sig line I had them graded under the sole purpose that I've had them for 27 years without screwing them up. Now the last three I had graded mainly because the Starr looked in good shape and the Smith and Page cards were RC. Now all of the 2000 CE Supreme cards I'm sending in are mainly being graded because I wish to eventually have a graded set. The condition that they're in is the best I could find. Thanks for the replies so far but lets keep it goin.

#1962435 - 10/16/07 09:16 AM Re: How Do You Guys Decide What To Grade [Re: SoonerCowboy]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I submit mostly for reasons #1 and #4.

With some of the sets I am doing condition is a key part of whether I submit
a card or not. Resale value for some low grade cards is not worth having a
card holdered.

aconte

#1963303 - 10/16/07 06:23 PM Re: How Do You Guys Decide What To Grade [Re: aconte]
SoonerCowboy
Hobbyist

I don't have cards graded with resale value in mind but it does help to have a nice vintage graded rc to sell when you need a little extra cash.

#1964733 - 10/17/07 02:53 PM Re: How Do You Guys Decide What To Grade [Re: SoonerCowboy]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Steps I follow:

1. Buy raw cards from shows and dealers I trust, always on the lookout for trimmed or altered versions.

2. Then I ask myself, "Self, will my recent raw card pick up potentially grade higher than the one I already have in my set?" If so, I send it in. If not, go to step 1.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1964886 - 10/17/07 04:15 PM Re: How Do You Guys Decide What To Grade [Re: bbo]
SoonerCowboy
Hobbyist

Originally Posted By: bbo
Steps I follow:

1. Buy raw cards from shows and dealers I trust, always on the lookout for trimmed or altered versions.

2. Then I ask myself, "Self, will my recent raw card pick up potentially grade higher than the one I already have in my set?" If so, I send it in. If not, go to step 1.

So are you saying that you grade cards for registry purposes and that the value of the card does not factor in whether you have it graded?
What cards are you collecting right now?
Doesn't that get kind of expensive or are you collecting cards that are not available at a high grade off of Ebay or wherever?

#1965924 - 10/18/07 08:14 AM Re: How Do You Guys Decide What To Grade [Re: SoonerCowboy]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Originally Posted By: SoonerCowboy
 Originally Posted By: bbo
Steps I follow:

So are you saying that you grade cards for registry purposes and that the value of the card does not factor in whether you have it graded?
What cards are you collecting right now?
Doesn't that get kind of expensive or are you collecting cards that are not available at a high grade off of Ebay or wherever?

I only collect 1959 baseball in SGC holders, so I don't consider the value. If I need the card for an upgrade and I think it will grade to my liking, I buy it and eventually submit it.

I very, very rarely will buy raw cards on ebay. There are too many unscrupulous sellers that overgrade and hide flaws. Nowadays, there are too many scumbags out there that are altering cards and trying to sneak them by the graders. When submitters get nailed for 40%, 50%, even 60% REJECTED FOR EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING at PSA, one has to wonder if certain submitters are not trimming everything in some back office, boiler room operation.

It's common knowledge who I'm talking about. Whether you call it karma, recompense or simply justice, their time's a-comin'.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1966028 - 10/18/07 09:21 AM Re: How Do You Guys Decide What To Grade [Re: bbo]
Novocent Administrator
Collector

For me, it comes down to a decision I make when I start a new part of my collection. One of the decisions I make is whether or not it will be graded or raw.

Right now, the bulk of my collecting interest lies in prewar cards - a small collection of HOFers (trimmed down from a much larger collection that I've sold off), a T205 set, and some other items like that. I have them all graded by SGC. I have no problems buying raw off eBay, provided I know the seller, but for things like T205s, I prefer to buy raw cards in larger lots from auction houses.

I'm not much of a condition freak, given the nature of what I'm currently collecting, but I do like my cards to be as attractive as my budget will allow given the issue, and I do want my grades to be accurate. I'm generally not interested in getting my cards into the highest holder possible, just the RIGHT holder.

My main reasons for getting cards graded:

1) Display/storage reasons: I like the way they look.
2) Protection: I'm a klutz.
3) Independent assessment of authenticity and condition

-Al

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.