Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1976612 - 11/14/07 11:46 AM What will my card grade at where to get it done?
HB2
stranger

I am new to the card grading community. I have a bunch of hockey cards I am trying to sell, one of which is a Wayne Gretzky O-Pee-Chee rookie. I tried listing it as an ungraded card on ebay and I was denied for reasons that the card is easily counterfeited. I was then explained that grading it would solve my problems. I have graded comics before, but not sports cards. I have found a number of places that grade, but I was curious to know what my card would be graded at BEFORE I send it off (trying to figure the cost-benefit analysis). That would help me figure out where I should send it for grading.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#1976613 - 11/14/07 12:33 PM Re: What will my card grade at where to get it done? [Re: HB2]
Novocent Administrator
Collector

It sounds to me like, if you can't sell the card raw on eBay, the cost-benefit analysis is pretty simple. However, SGC's grading standards can be found here:

http://www.sgccard.com/grading_scale.htm

When evaluating your card, especially for the first time, it's hard to resist the temptation to be truly objective. But SGC is consistent with their standards, so if you're really objective (and you're very diligent about how you look at the card), you should be able to get a good idea of what to expect.

Alternately, you might want to take a look at some other cards on eBay or on SGC's website, just to give you an idea of what similar cards look like in various grades.

Good luck!

-Al

#1976615 - 11/14/07 06:56 PM Re: What will my card grade at where to get it done? [Re: HB2]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

Originally Posted By: HB2
I am new to the card grading community. I have a bunch of hockey cards I am trying to sell, one of which is a Wayne Gretzky O-Pee-Chee rookie. I tried listing it as an ungraded card on ebay and I was denied for reasons that the card is easily counterfeited. I was then explained that grading it would solve my problems. I have graded comics before, but not sports cards. I have found a number of places that grade, but I was curious to know what my card would be graded at BEFORE I send it off (trying to figure the cost-benefit analysis). That would help me figure out where I should send it for grading.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

For a Gretzkey Rookie, it makes complete sense to grade, regardless of what the final grade will be. The grading fee with shipping and insurance will only put your out around $10-$15.

#1977604 - 03/01/08 11:51 AM Re: What will my card grade at where to get it done? [Re: FYS]
thephilosopher

Grade the Gretzky for sure. Go with any of the big three - SGC, BGS or PSA. Grading will obviously increase your value and help to preserve your card. And if it is counterfeit or trimmed/altered, it would be detected upon submission. I am an hockey card collector too, and all of the big rookies of the 60s, 70s and 80s have been footnoted in Beckett as potential counterfeits (says: "Beware Counterfeits of the following cards, etc.). Me personally, I would not buy any Gretzky rc that was not graded for the above reasons. Good luck, though!
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.