Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1977602 - 03/01/08 11:38 AM The Black Insert
thephilosopher

Hello. Just wondering what your thoughts are on some that say that the black insert inside SGC holders have occasionally damaged cards? I have graded cards from all of the big three - BGS, SGC and PSA. One of the unique aspects with say BGS holders is the inner sleeve which holds the card nicely in place, preventing it from moving around much. BCCG seems to be the worst for cards moving around in the holders. SGC in my experience have very nice holders (maybe the nicest in the bus) and the cards seem very secure inside them. PSA in most cases does not use a sleeve or insert, but their cards seem to be pretty secure as well. Any thoughts?
#1977739 - 03/12/08 05:31 AM Re: The Black Insert [Re: thephilosopher]
estang
(S)uper Collector

I agree that the inner sleeve and Beckett's holders make the security of the card the best in the industry. I've cracked an SGC slab and the black holder is much flimsier/softer than I had expected. I've never once heard anyone say that this insert creates damage over time, so it's a non-issue.

Erik

#1977740 - 03/12/08 04:01 PM Re: The Black Insert [Re: estang]
Novocent Administrator
Collector

I'm with estang. That insert is very flexible and soft. I couldn't imagine it damaging a card.

-Al

#1977741 - 03/12/08 05:25 PM Re: The Black Insert [Re: Novocent]
mattbojo
addict

Loc: Beaumont

I have seen the corners of the black insert cut into the edge of the card and leave a flea bite. It has happened to a 1953 Topps card and a T205 of mine.

Matt

#1977742 - 03/12/08 05:44 PM Re: The Black Insert [Re: mattbojo]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

In general, it is less likely for the SGC insert to damage a card than a PSA condom or PSA loose fit. To date, I have had two PSA cards damaged within the case and no SGC cards. I have also owned many more SGC cards than PSA. I also personally really like the Beckett sleeve. Unfortunately, they have also had problems with many cards sticking to the sleeve.

Overal, there is probably little to no real and tangible safety difference between the three. The chatter is more political rhetoric than anything IMHO.

#1977744 - 03/13/08 01:45 PM Re: The Black Insert [Re: FYS]
thephilosopher

Originally Posted By: FYS
In general, it is less likely for the SGC insert to damage a card than a PSA condom or PSA loose fit. To date, I have had two PSA cards damaged within the case and no SGC cards. I have also owned many more SGC cards than PSA. I also personally really like the Beckett sleeve. Unfortunately, they have also had problems with many cards sticking to the sleeve.

Overal, there is probably little to no real and tangible safety difference between the three. The chatter is more political rhetoric than anything IMHO.

Good points from all. I have also heard that occasionally cards in the BGS holders stick to the sleeves. This might be an issue if the cards are exposed to heat. I guess the big three are pretty safe overall and each have their pros and cons.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.032 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.