Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1977781 - 03/17/08 12:20 AM PSA now has sub-grades
thephilosopher

I guess this is just recent news. There's been some buzz over this on other boards as well. I noticed it a little while ago on eBay. There was a PSA card for sale that was a 7.5. I think this is probably a good thing, because having subgrades makes the final grade of a card a more precise grade. BGS and SGC were already on the ball with this. It is just good that PSA is as well. Makes you wonder though, with some of the PSA cards that graded a certain way - you might wonder if your "8" out of 10 might have been an 8.5 had there been a subgrade system. Food for thought maybe.
#1977784 - 03/17/08 02:38 PM Re: PSA now has sub-grades [Re: thephilosopher]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Sub grades are different than half grades. I knew about half grades, but I am not aware of any sub grade announcement. Then again, I don't frequent those boards very often, so I might have missed it.

Please clarify.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1977786 - 03/17/08 05:27 PM Re: PSA now has sub-grades [Re: bbo]
mealeworm
enthusiast

Loc: The Nati

I think the .5 grades are enough. Sub-grades would cause a mutiny.

Dave

#1977797 - 03/18/08 01:56 PM Re: PSA now has sub-grades [Re: bbo]
thephilosopher

Originally Posted By: bbo
Sub grades are different than half grades. I knew about half grades, but I am not aware of any sub grade announcement. Then again, I don't frequent those boards very often, so I might have missed it.

Please clarify.

Subgrades and half-grades are different? I guess there's some confusion over this on other boards as well. What's the difference then? Seems like they are the same thing, by definition.

#1977801 - 03/18/08 07:13 PM Re: PSA now has sub-grades [Re: thephilosopher]
Novocent Administrator
Collector

Beckett used to do something called sub-grades.

Essentially they assigned an overall grade for the card, but then they graded the various attributes of the card as well. The sub-grades somehow made up the actual grade. So the flip might say the card was a 7, with 8.5 centering, 7 corners, 7 edges, and a 7.5 surface.

Or something like that. I always thought it was kinda hokey.

What PSA (and SGC and all the people who have started doing it since SGC) is doing is half-grades, although it's not really a "half" grade. Basically if a PSA 8 has exceptional centering, they'll give it an 8.5.

And charge you a bunch of money to review all your cards.

-Al

#1977806 - 03/19/08 12:25 AM Re: PSA now has sub-grades [Re: Novocent]
thephilosopher

Originally Posted By: Novocent
Beckett used to do something called sub-grades.

Essentially they assigned an overall grade for the card, but then they graded the various attributes of the card as well. The sub-grades somehow made up the actual grade. So the flip might say the card was a 7, with 8.5 centering, 7 corners, 7 edges, and a 7.5 surface.

Or something like that. I always thought it was kinda hokey.

What PSA (and SGC and all the people who have started doing it since SGC) is doing is half-grades, although it's not really a "half" grade. Basically if a PSA 8 has exceptional centering, they'll give it an 8.5.

And charge you a bunch of money to review all your cards.

-Al

Yeah. Al, we're on the same page. I think what I meant to say earlier was that PSA is now using "half-grades," like BGS and SGC. BGS, I guess is the only company that displays the "subgrades" on the label, telling the collector what amounted to the final grade. Glad we could clarify. \:\/

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 1 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.