Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#1979042 - 01/07/09 03:11 PM Re: My opinion on the Baseball hall of fame [Re: bbo]
The elder
enthusiast

Don Drysdale and Gaylord Perry has admitted to throwing spitballs. A pitch which was banned in 1920.

At least Rose never cheated on the field.

#1979047 - 01/07/09 06:18 PM Re: My opinion on the Baseball hall of fame [Re: The elder]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Is that the best argument you've got?

Spitballs, when caught, meant ejection from the game that day, on the spot. Just like Brett and his pine tar bat. Do you revoke his HOF status?

What about throwing beanballs? Drysdale and Gibson did that. Do you revoke their status for that?

Gambling, as every player knew, meant potential suspension or ejection from the sport because it threatened the integrity of the game. Spitballs, beanballs and pine tar are part of the game for which umpires could police. Gambling, not so.

Next.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1979051 - 01/07/09 07:43 PM Re: My opinion on the Baseball hall of fame [Re: bbo]
The elder
enthusiast

What a lame answer.

No I dont think Brett or those other guys should be thrown out. You're the biased one who thinks one cheater deserves to be in, and the other out lol. Wow, Rose gambled. Big deal. I think its much worse if a player had to cheat on the field to get into the hall, than what Rose did. I'm sure there are plenty of other players who did the same thing but never ruined the integrity of the game. The only difference was Rose got caught. Drugs also can be considered by many as ruining the integrity of the game also. Yet look how many times players like Strawberry, Gooden, and others have been forgiven and had many chances.

If a player kept getting caught for something like spitballs over and over it would be also possible to get a year or life suspension. I dont remember hearing too much about pitchers getting thrown out for spitballs because it was and is hard to police. But cheating is cheating.

#1979062 - 01/08/09 05:15 AM Re: My opinion on the Baseball hall of fame [Re: The elder]
bbo
The Collectinator

Yep, it is. And Rose cheated the integrity of the game by gambling while employed by the sport. The very same crime that nearly killed it in 1919.

Steroids won't kill baseball, because pressure is mounting to curtail it, off the field and on. Without the high profile McGwire, Brady Anderson & Clemens exposures, enforcements by Commissioner Bozo from Milwaukee were practically nil. Left unchecked, it would have done great damage to the game and very well could have killed it. But these clowns, as well as Bonds, will be left out of the Hall of Fame and instead be forever enshrined in the Hall of Shame (as well they should). Some may do time for lying under oath, much like Mr. Rose, the low life cheater, did time. Cheat the game, get banned for life. Cheat the government, do some time.

What your argument exposes is your naivete. What happens on the field can be dealt with by umpires, teammates, opposing players, retaliations, etc. What happens off the field, that damages the sport itself, must be dealt with by permanent suspensions, banishment and the federal courts.

You might want to review the baseball Hall of Fame induction criteria. It's the most stringent of any of the major sports and basically includes a "morals clause."

If that's a lame answer, I pity your employer, because you are overpaid, given your mental acuity.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1979063 - 01/08/09 05:49 AM Re: My opinion on the Baseball hall of fame [Re: bbo]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Wow..........getting a little harsh here folks. Its just a message board. Lets keep it clean and play ball.....
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#1979064 - 01/08/09 10:54 AM Re: My opinion on the Baseball hall of fame [Re: bbo]
The elder
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: bbo

It's the most stringent of any of the major sports and basically includes a "morals clause."

Then what do you call cheating on the field lol? Since you seem to think "some" cheaters deserve to be in the hall and some not.

Rose never hurt the integrity of the game. And saying he did the same thing the white sox did in 1919 is laughable to say the least. He never once threw anything on the field.

Your geek way of thinking, makes me think you are the 40 year old still living in your mother's basement.

#1979065 - 01/08/09 11:14 AM Re: My opinion on the Baseball hall of fame [Re: The elder]
bbo
The Collectinator

Originally Posted By: The elder
Then what do you call cheating on the field lol? Since you seem to think "some" cheaters deserve to be in the hall and some not.

Cite for me where I said any cheaters deserve to be in the Hall.

I'm saying Rose doesn't deserve to be in because he broke the rules for admission into the Hall.

The players you cite and those I added, broke rules that result in reprimand on the field. No "Hall of Fame" rules were broken.

Besides you're wasting your typing fingers with me. I don't have a vote. Talk to the BBWAA. There's over 500 of them, 375 of which you need to convince on your buddy Rose's behalf.

Good luck with that.

#1979069 - 01/08/09 01:40 PM Re: My opinion on the Baseball hall of fame [Re: bbo]
The elder
enthusiast

I think he would get voted in if he ever gets the ban revoked.

No doubt the veterans committee would vote him in.

#1979328 - 01/13/09 07:37 PM Re: My opinion on the Baseball hall of fame [Re: The elder]
bbo
The Collectinator

Originally Posted By: The elder
I think he would get voted in if he ever gets the ban revoked.

No doubt the veterans committee would vote him in.

Nope, you're wrong.

I was just reminded that Pete Rose is not in the HOF because he willingly signed a document precluding that possibility. The person who kept Rose out is Rose himself. Which proves what a doofuss he is. Oh, and he graduated #242 out of 243 in his high school class. What a shock.

#1979329 - 01/13/09 08:17 PM Re: My opinion on the Baseball hall of fame [Re: bbo]
The elder
enthusiast

That's why i said "if" the ban ever gets lifted? Anythings possible but doesn't look good for Rose.

I couldn't care less about a player's education. The vote should be determined on what the player did on the field. That's it. Out of those 242 people that Rose graduated with, it was Rose who accomplished the most in life with his fame and fortune. How many other people can say "i had more hits than anyone else in the history of the game."
Pete Sampras doesn't have a high school education but he's still very smart and laughing all the way to the bank.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.