Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1979122 - 01/09/09 05:57 PM "THE NATIONAL" JULY 29- August 2nd
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

I know it's wintertime and all and doesn't look like the sun will ever shine again in my neck of the woods, but it seems like before I end this sentence the summer sunshine will have returned! I have been thinking about the upcoming National Convention which will be held at Cleveland's I-X Center. The National ( THE NATIONAL is quite an extravaganza of events and the proverbial candy store for every grown kid that collects sports cards and memorabilia! \:D Some here have expressed they are planning to go. I have said before in some of my recent posts how nice it would be to meet up with the guys here I have traded dialog with. I think that would really be great. And I hope that opportunity will happen. As for me, I most definitely plan to be there on Friday, Saturday & maybe Sunday. Heck, it's not everyday that you get to see every major dealer and people of the Hobby all in one place! There isn't enough time in the day (or night for that matter) to see everything. Anyone on the Boards here ever been to a National? What was it like for you? I'd like to hear about your experiences and where the convention was at.

Look forward to hearing your stories~

Earl

BROOKS ROBINSON ~ One of the Greatest to Ever Play the Game!

#1979133 - 01/09/09 06:59 PM Re: "THE NATIONAL" JULY 29- August 2nd [Re: EARLSWORLD]
Novocent Administrator
Collector

I love going to the National. I've been there two out of the last three years (I don't fly, so I skipped Anaheim), and I had an awesome time each year.

Last year I was there almost the entire week and I didn't buy a single card. Not one. It's meeting up with hobby friends that makes it so much fun for me. I definitely recommend going, if you can.

-Al

#1979137 - 01/09/09 07:52 PM Re: "THE NATIONAL" JULY 29- August 2nd [Re: Novocent]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Hi Al~

I don't believe I've replied to any of your post yet. I have seen a few old posts you've replied to. I am looking forward to going to this years National. It's a blast just looking around at everything and seeing things I've read about but never saw in person and discovering cards that I never knew existed! There is so much one can do to fill up every hour of the 5 days it is open. The I-X Center is a nice place for the National too. Maybe if you are there and the rest from the boards who are going can all meet up somewhere. I think that would be great. It is my goal top do a story for the board and post pictures here. BTW, what things do you like to collect?Thanks for your response to my post. I hope to see more of you here. Would really like to see pics of some of your favorite cards or collectibles.

Take care,

EARL
 Originally Posted By: Novocent
I love going to the National. I've been there two out of the last three years (I don't fly, so I skipped Anaheim), and I had an awesome time each year.

Last year I was there almost the entire week and I didn't buy a single card. Not one. It's meeting up with hobby friends that makes it so much fun for me. I definitely recommend going, if you can.

-Al

Edited by EARLSWORLD (01/09/09 07:53 PM)

#1979138 - 01/09/09 07:58 PM Re: "THE NATIONAL" JULY 29- August 2nd [Re: Novocent]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Houston-1994. Anaheim-2000. A couple each in both Chicago and Cleveland since then. All were good.

More likely to find gradable raw vintage cards at a National vs. some of the Regional shows I've attended. Prices are all over the place, but if you scout it well, you can come up with good deals. Of course, there are some clowns that charge Graded SMR prices for raw commons they've pressed down the corners on and spooned out the wrinkles. I won't say who, but his initials might be the same as a certain toy store chain. Don't forget to be on the lookout for trimmed cards as well. It's rampant these days, but soon may be reaching a roadblock for a few of the miscreants.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1979147 - 01/09/09 10:11 PM Re: "THE NATIONAL" JULY 29- August 2nd [Re: bbo]
mattbojo
addict

Loc: Beaumont

I have been to every National held in Anaheim, but it looks like they are never heading West again. I guess Card Shows are a thing of the past in So. Cal., which is a shame.

Matt

#1979149 - 01/09/09 10:25 PM Re: "THE NATIONAL" JULY 29- August 2nd [Re: mattbojo]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Look on the positive note - great time to take a vacation! ;\)
 Originally Posted By: mattbojo
I have been to every National held in Anaheim, but it looks like they are never heading West again. I guess Card Shows are a thing of the past in So. Cal., which is a shame.

Matt

#1979152 - 01/10/09 06:21 AM Re: "THE NATIONAL" JULY 29- August 2nd [Re: EARLSWORLD]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

I want to go..........
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#1979155 - 01/10/09 06:36 AM Re: "THE NATIONAL" JULY 29- August 2nd [Re: Blackie]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I went to the 2003 National in AC. The dates of the National is
usually a busy time for me at work. I did not buy much of anything
at the National in 2003. Got some red man cards signed by Bob
Feller and Monte Irvin. Also, met mrredman at the show for the
first time. Hung out at the Sgc booth for a while and talked with
Sean and the guys and Randy Stuckemeyer. He had some great cards
on display with Sgc.

My wife's cousin hooked me up with a room at the Trump Plaza and
got me a free steak meal too. Nice! So I ate good and did a little
gambling at night.

A fun time for sure.

Not sure if I can make it this year. We will see.

aconte

#1979157 - 01/10/09 09:03 AM Re: "THE NATIONAL" JULY 29- August 2nd [Re: aconte]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Maybe we should take up a collection for Blackie so he can attend. Think you can get set up as a charitable organization by then?
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1979179 - 01/10/09 03:20 PM Re: "THE NATIONAL" JULY 29- August 2nd [Re: bbo]
BigDaddyBowman
enthusiast

The National in Cleveland is about 10 minutes from my house, so I am very fortunate to be able to go whenvever it is in town. Although looking around is very enjoyable and there is definately something for everyone, I often suffer from the "ebay syndrome" when I am there. What is the ebay syndrome? Knowing that you can pick up most of the cards on ebay for much cheaper. I have found that I have boughten very little cardboard at the National. If you are seeking that tough to find card or item...you are bound to find it..but it will cost you. I picked this up last time the National was in Cleveland...it was already matted and framed, so I was happy.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 12 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.