Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#1979727 - 01/24/09 05:15 PM JEFF KENT RETIRES / IS HE BOUND FOR THE HOF?
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Los Angeles Dodgers Hall of Fame outfielder Duke Snider, left, chats with Jeff Kent after Kent announced his retirement from baseball during a news conference at Dodger Stadium Thursday, Jan. 22, 2009 in Los Angeles. Kent, 40, spent 17 years in the major leagues and leaves as the career home-run leader among second basemen with 351, 74 more than Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg.
(AP Photo/Reed Saxon)

Edited by EARLSWORLD (01/24/09 05:19 PM)

BROOKS ROBINSON ~ One of the Greatest to Ever Play the Game!

#1979728 - 01/24/09 06:06 PM Re: JEFF KENT RETIRES / IS HE BOUND FOR THE HOF? [Re: EARLSWORLD]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Awsome pic and story Earl. Thanks for the pic. I love Duke Snider!!!
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#1979730 - 01/24/09 06:11 PM Re: JEFF KENT RETIRES / IS HE BOUND FOR THE HOF? [Re: Blackie]
mattbojo
addict

Loc: Beaumont

Nice picture, and yes his numbers put him in the Hall of Fame.

#1979732 - 01/24/09 06:49 PM Re: JEFF KENT RETIRES / IS HE BOUND FOR THE HOF? [Re: mattbojo]
The elder
enthusiast

I would say yes. He has good hall of fame stats. The only thing i see that could hurt him is, he only finished in the top 5 MVP voting once.

#1979734 - 01/24/09 07:31 PM Re: JEFF KENT RETIRES / IS HE BOUND FOR THE HOF? [Re: The elder]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

In 17 years, he was only an All Star 5 times. I am going with no.

#1979736 - 01/24/09 07:45 PM Re: JEFF KENT RETIRES / IS HE BOUND FOR THE HOF? [Re: FYS]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Jeff Kent was a Cleveland Indian back some years ago. I watched him play but was not impressed with him at that point in his career --- I thought just another second baseman, nothing extraordinary! I never really watch him much before that or after he left Cleveland. I guess that could be disadvantaging in trying to analyze a career. However, numbers for most do the talking. They are a tale all by themselves. However, pure stats cannot paint a clear enough picture either of someone being worthy of Hall of Fame status. I'll be honest, I was SURPRISED to say the least when they announced Kent's presumable position in the HOF. I knew he was touted as being an All-Star second baseman, but I have seen a lot of these through the years - many not worthy of the Hall. Take Carlos Baerga of the Cleveland Indians. He was an All-Star second baseman who put up tremendous numbers but only for a a period of time. Should he be in the Hall Of Fame -- absolutely not! I guess it really all comes down to the numbers you put up over the span of a career. I really can't say one way or another if Kent belongs there, but I can think of a few who aren't there that should be before him!
 Originally Posted By: FYS
In 17 years, he was only an All Star 5 times. I am going with no.

#1979738 - 01/24/09 07:58 PM Re: JEFF KENT RETIRES / IS HE BOUND FOR THE HOF? [Re: EARLSWORLD]
FYS

During the first half of his career Craig Biggio was the dominant 2B. Now there is a hall of famer. Kent then had his five year stretch and Utley has now taken over. Kent never won a golden glove and was only a silver slugger 4 times. Forget stats, you have to look at how you did with your peer group. For 4-5 years he was the best offensive 2B in the National League. He was never the best defenisve 2B in the National League. I just do not see a 4-5 year span as good enough for the Hall. A good analogy of a non-HOF'er 2B is Lou Whitaker. Lou was a 5 time All Star and a 4 time silver slugger. The same as Kent. Lou also had 3 gold gloves to add to the party. Lou also had to compete agains Roberto Alomar for a good part of his career. Alomar is a sure fire HOF'er. So Kent is to Biggio and Whitaker is to Alomar. FYS - President of the no Jeff Kent in the Hall Fan Club.

#1979739 - 01/24/09 08:07 PM Re: JEFF KENT RETIRES / IS HE BOUND FOR THE HOF? [Re: FYS]
mattbojo
addict

Loc: Beaumont

I am no Jeff Kent fan. But if you retire with the most career home runs at your position, you will get in(unless you are Mark McGwire). Especially if you are a catcher or middle infielder.

Edited by mattbojo (01/24/09 08:13 PM)

#1979740 - 01/24/09 08:29 PM Re: JEFF KENT RETIRES / IS HE BOUND FOR THE HOF? [Re: FYS]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Very nicely put, Mike! You make some very good points. When I think of HOF'er, I think of an IMPACT player, the goto guy when you need someone to pick you up and carry you! Craig Biggio is definitely IMHO that type of player who year in and year out was the BEST at his position. He could beat you with both his glove & bat! I expect him to make it in FIRST round! BIGGIO & KENT makes a great comparison because when I think of these two players (who both are going to be considered for placement in the HOF), what comes to mind are two distinctly different caliber players - one HOF worthy and the other I'm not sure of. I think you have a good case FYS!
 Originally Posted By: FYS
During the first half of his career Craig Biggio was the dominant 2B. Now there is a hall of famer. Kent then had his five year stretch and Utley has now taken over. Kent never won a golden glove and was only a silver slugger 4 times. Forget stats, you have to look at how you did with your peer group. For 4-5 years he was the best offensive 2B in the National League. He was never the best defenisve 2B in the National League. I just do not see a 4-5 year span as good enough for the Hall. A good analogy of a non-HOF'er 2B is Lou Whitaker. Lou was a 5 time All Star and a 4 time silver slugger. The same as Kent. Lou also had 3 gold gloves to add to the party. Lou also had to compete agains Roberto Alomar for a good part of his career. Alomar is a sure fire HOF'er. So Kent is to Biggio and Whitaker is to Alomar. FYS - President of the no Jeff Kent in the Hall Fan Club.

#1979741 - 01/24/09 08:40 PM Re: JEFF KENT RETIRES / IS HE BOUND FOR THE HOF? [Re: mattbojo]
FYS

Home runs mean so much less in the era he played. Sandberg was an All Star 10 times, gold glove 9 times and a silver slugger 7 times. That is so much more dominant against his peer group than Kent against his peer group. Chicks digging the long ball is very overated. For other big long ballers short of the Hall: Fred McGriff, Jeff Bagwell, Dave Kingman, Andre Dawson, Juan Gonzalez, Billy Williams, Darrel Evans etc.

Other 2nd Basemen As or More Deserving than Kent:

1. Alfonso Soriano (7 Time All Star) - Future HOF
2. Lou Whitaker (5 Time All Star) - Will not get in.
3. Bobby Grich (6 Time All Star)- Will not get in.
4. Roberto Alomar (12 Time All Star)- Future HOF
5. Frank White (5 Time All Star) - Will not get in.
6. Willie Randolph (6 Time All Star) - Will not get in.
7. Steve Sax (6 Time All Star)- Will not get in.
8. Bobby Richardson (8 Time All Star) - Will not get in.

The home runs are nice, but Kent does not hold up against his peers. He falls into the special category with Grich, Whitaker, Randolph etc. Not the HOF'ers with Morgan, Sandberg, Alomar, Biggio etc.

Edited by FYS (01/24/09 08:41 PM)

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 3 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.