Page all of 18 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1979835 - 01/26/09 05:33 PM Submission FAQs
Brian Administrator
addict

Loc: New York

Here's a post that outlines the do's and don'ts of submitting for anyone who may be unsure. Please feel free to ask any questions!

What holder should I use to send my cards?

- The absolute best holders to use when submitting cards are Card Saver I semi-rigid holders. These are flexible holders that allow a card to be put in and taken out with no risk of damage. Toploaders are usually fine to use but you have to be careful as they don't 'hug' the card like Card Savers and cards can actually slip in transit.

- We do not accept card in screw downs, lucite holders, penny sleeves only, 9 pocket pages, or raw in boxes. All of these methods slow down the process and risk damage to the cards.

What should I pack my cards with?

- It is best to submit your cards in a sturdy box packed tightly with bubble wrap, packing peanuts, or newspaper. Rubber band a stack of Card Savers and pack them securely. Taping them together is not advised as the tape can sometimes be hard to remove. Using pieces of cardboard to stabilize cards is another good idea. Tape the box securely, but do not tape it too much as the box can then become hard to open and risk damaging the cards.

How should I send my cards to you?

- We recommend the Postal Service or Fed Ex when sending cards. A tracking number is very important as it will let you know that we've received the order and comes in handy if an order is taking longer to arrive than normal. Insurance is another thing that should be used on orders when sending to us as it protects you against loss or damage.

Do I need to write my invoice number on each holder?

- No you do not need to write your invoice number on each holder. One helpful thing for the receiving department is keeping your cards in the order they are listed on the invoice. This allows them to verify all cards are present and find any discrepancies quickly.

Do I need to write the service level on the outside of the box?

- This is not necessary, but can be helpful on any orders that are for same day or next day services. Simply writing 'Immediate', 'Walk Thru', or 'Next Day' near the address label will help ensure your order is handled quickly and turned around on time.

How can I pay?

- Payment is due upon receipt of an order. Credit card payment is the easiest way to pay as we can make adjustments in the event of a miscalculation and we can keep it on file for future orders. Payment by check or money order is also accepted.

These are the basics that we're asked most often. A more detailed listing can be found at http://sgccard.com/submission_FAQ.htm.

If you think of any other questions, just let me know!

Brian

#1979837 - 01/26/09 05:35 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Brian thank you for all the information. I just wanted to say thank you to all of you at SGC. After coming back from my second tour in Iraq, SGC has proven to me to have the best customer service bar none. Thank you for time and for caring about us collectors.
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#1979895 - 01/27/09 10:38 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Blackie]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Hi Brian~

I just wanted to make sure the steps below are the proper ones to take to ensure the best shipping and receiving results of my submission:

1) Place each card in a zip lock baggy (make sure it doesn't have any old food or grease stains in it)

2) Stack baggies with submission cards together and place a rubber band around them to hold them secure and from slippage during shipping. For further safety from damage, wrap cardboard around the stack of cards and duck tape closed. This will keep cards very secure!

3) Be sure to wrap the submission form around the package of cards and tape it securely so that it wont come off. This is good so the Shipping department will be able to identify it right away!

4) It is fastest to pay with CASH! Make sure you place the Submission amount plus extra for shipping in an envelope. Be sure to tape the envelope to the package of securely taped cards so it will be readily available. Everyone knows how important it is to pay for your submission! NO MONEY - NO SERVICE!

5) Once you have your cards securely ready to ship as outlined in the steps above, you should find a large box, preferably 24"x 24" x 18" to place your cards in. It may seem excessive, put you want to make sure your packaged cards have lots of cushion for their long journey! Once you have your box, begin filling the bottom of the box with balled up newspaper for padding. Once you have generously covered the bottom with balled up newspaper, set your securely packaged cards in the center of the box, then fill it the rest of the way up with all the balled up newspaper packing you can fit into the box!

6) After you have completed step 5 and are ready to close the box, make sure you use a strong type of tape to secure the top and bottom flaps. I always use Duck tape for best results. Don't forget to also tape up the all edges as well. You want a secure package that can be man-handled! Label your package correctly this way: SPECIAL ATTENTION / BRIAN DWYER!

7) Now the package is ready to be shipped! Take box to the post office. When the teller asks how do you want the package shipped be sure to send it C.O.D. because the shipping costs are in the envelope! Once the package arrives at SGC they can take the money out of the envelope and pay for shipping once it gets there! Nice way of making sure your cards get delivered right?

8) Now the waiting game begins! Sit back and wait for SGC to do their thing! After all, that's WHY we send them our cards right?

DID I MISS ANYTHING BRIAN? I hope I didn't screw up on your instructions!

Edited by EARLSWORLD (01/27/09 10:44 AM)

BROOKS ROBINSON ~ One of the Greatest to Ever Play the Game!

#1979918 - 01/27/09 05:52 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: EARLSWORLD]
mattbojo
addict

Loc: Beaumont

Earl,

I thought this was a goof until I got to #5. That is exactly what Heritage Auctions does.

Matt

#1979922 - 01/27/09 07:04 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: mattbojo]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Hi Matt!

Thanks for being the first to cast your SGC grades for the contest! I'm not sure I like the ones you think I'll receive (except of course for the 3 87's ) I'll tell you, it is really difficult to tell from just looking at the card from a scan, especially these ones for some reason! When I was going through my stack of raw 58's I thought there would be more higher grades, at least they looked that way. When I scanned them and blew up the pictures, they looked so different! Some of the cards that look good from eyesight don't look so hot on the blown up frame. I just hope it doesn't translate in to bad grades. I mean, I know some are not 7's & 8's, but I don't need a bunch of 70's or 80's. We will see! GOOD LUCK! The pize for first place is a VERY nice mouse pad. I will post a picture up for everyone to check out!

As far as my try at comedy, yes #5 -- that's exactly where I got that from! I have received a number of packages from that place and they ALWAYS sent my little package inside a BIG one! I guess they feel they have to justify the excessive amount they charge for shipping. I wonder what Brian thought or if he saw my post? \:D
 Originally Posted By: mattbojo
Earl,

I thought this was a goof until I got to #5. That is exactly what Heritage Auctions does.

Matt

#1979923 - 01/27/09 07:07 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: EARLSWORLD]
Brian Administrator
addict

Earl, just saw the post now. Great stuff. I nominate you as the official informer of new customers. \:\)

#1979924 - 01/27/09 07:29 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Hey Brian~ I don't know if I could take the position...it seems like I got a lot of stuff goofed up here! I hope you liked my Weird Al impersonation on the SGC side! \:D All in a day of fun! Hope you had a laugh! If so, I accomplished my goal! Have a great time on the boards tonight! By the way, do you collect - I mean not Benjamins but cards? Catch up with you later~
EARL
 Originally Posted By: Brian
Earl, just saw the post now. Great stuff. I nominate you as the official informer of new customers. \:\)

#1979952 - 01/27/09 09:40 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: EARLSWORLD]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Duck tape?

How does the duck feel about that?

In rural Texas, I think it's duct tape, but they may pronounce it the way you spell it.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1979955 - 01/27/09 10:02 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: bbo]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

I didn't even know I made an unintentional, intentional error! lol

#1982272 - 03/12/09 05:36 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: EARLSWORLD]
Brian Administrator
addict

Bumping this to the top for new members. I'll keep it at the top for a bit.

Brian

#1982274 - 03/12/09 05:38 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Congrats on the new job Earl. Brian thats a top notch pick. Eary is the best at welcoming.

#1982338 - 03/12/09 08:10 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Thanks Brian & Rob! I admire and respect the collecting community here and value each person that comes along to spend time here. I take it as an opportunity to meet new people and to share and learn more about a Hobby that is very important to me. I just like extending a warm welcome to every new person that comes along here because I remember what it was like when I was new and someone did the same for me. There are a great bunch of guys here who I have had the opportunity to spend time with chatting about our cards and collections. I have been in "school" since I arrived at SGC with many teachers here who have taken the time to extend their knowledge about collecting with me. So, yes, I think greeting new collectors with a warm welcome is important. And that's why I try my best to make a personal attempt at doing so.

As far as everyone that came over in the PSA stampede, I have been trying to welcome all of you but I had to jump out of the way or I would have gotten run over by Randy! lol I just want to say to everyone who came that it means a LOT to me personally that you are here. I have been hoping for this day for quite awhile now. It is nice not just having new names on the boards, but nice having quality people to share a Hobby I love so much with. And that's why I am here. WELCOME EVERYONE!
 Originally Posted By: Brian

#1982530 - 03/13/09 09:27 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Brian another bump.........

#1982689 - 03/13/09 07:42 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Blackie]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

I have a question about crossovers...when you receive a card...I will use an example of a PSA 7...Do the graders take that card and give their own assessment even if they feel it is higher than a 7? Basically what Im asking is can a card bump up as well as stay the same or down?
Thanks
Barry

#1982692 - 03/13/09 07:52 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: yankeeno7]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Hey Barry~

If you look at my grades that just popped I posted you will see several cards that were crossed over (but I cracked them out first). The few I sent made the crossover a couple got bumped and a couple went down!

#1982694 - 03/13/09 07:56 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: EARLSWORLD]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

So you think it's better to crack and sub rather than go with the crossover?
#1982698 - 03/13/09 08:08 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: yankeeno7]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

No, I wouldn't say that. It is just something I personally did. I did it for these reasons:

1) I didn't know if there was an extra cost for this service
2) The debate of bias with the card already being graded
3) shipping weight

With SGC, crossovers are handled different than regular subs. You can request the same or higher grade only or accept a lower if you want. I figure if I am going to crossover a card and can accept whatever grade it may bring, then I will crack it out and send raw. If it is a card that I do not want to chance losing a grade like a HOF'er for instance, then I will not crack out but send in its graded holder and request same or higher grade. Please don't take the wrong impression from my method to think I imply that SGC graders would be biased or unfair if you send your crossovers in their holders....NOT AT ALL! I believe you will receive whatever the correct grade is regardless. They are well trained and professional and I don't think it matters about the current holder. I like to crack cards out myself and find shipping weight saves me money!

#1982702 - 03/13/09 08:12 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: EARLSWORLD]
mknez

Loc: Cavs Country, OH

Earl,
If you crack it out, is it still a crossover? Do you submit the flip with the card or something? I'm confused

Mike

#1982704 - 03/13/09 08:13 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: mknez]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

I haven't cracked and sent yet.......SGC has graded right on the dot..........Im almost afraid to crack out.

#1982706 - 03/13/09 08:15 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: mknez]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

no...it is not "OFFICIALLY" one anymore! I call it a crossover because technically it is to me because I cracked the card out but sent it in raw....I see what you are saying about the confusion. I never really thought about that...you must send in the card in it's original graded holder to be considered a CROSSOVER. Sorry for my causing confusion!

#1982710 - 03/13/09 08:19 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: EARLSWORLD]
mknez

No problem and thanks for the follow up. It was a bit tough to figure out for a newbie here

BTW I'm just outside of Cleveland too. I've got the itch to see some cards, so I'm thinking about going to the Great Northern Mall show tomorrow. I hope its more than 10 dealers this time!

#1982718 - 03/13/09 08:29 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: mknez]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

I just live in Oberlin! I didn't even know GN was having anything. Do you get to the Strongsville monthly? Their annual is coming up I think next month...that is the BEST show in our area...bar none. Dealers from all over US set up and lots of vintage to be had! \:\) Elyria VFW also has a very small show. FREE admission. If you google card shows it will show you some lonks...Becketts is usually good. Check it out!

EARL

#1982732 - 03/13/09 08:43 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: EARLSWORLD]
DavidPuddy

Loc: SC via Cleveland

Earl,
I'm from Elyria.

#1982736 - 03/13/09 08:47 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: DavidPuddy]
mknez

GN does it every 2 or 3 months, I don't go every time. The Holiday Inn in Strongsville has a bunch of shows, I think you are refering to the Ohio Sports Collectors Convention, which is put on by Paul Fusco. I went last year, it was a great show. They also have some Sunday shows put on by other promoters throughout the year.

Anyone want to meet up at GN tomorrow, let me know! I'll be the guy looking for a 1960 Roger Maris AS card.

#1982751 - 03/13/09 09:28 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: DavidPuddy]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Just down the street practically! You graduate from Elyria High by chance? I love those VIC JANOWICZ cards there! Anyone out there know who Janowicz is and where he is from? Shhhh? You telling Puddy! lol
 Originally Posted By: DavidPuddy
Earl,
I'm from Elyria.

#1982753 - 03/13/09 09:30 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: DavidPuddy]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Could you post scans of each card of your sig line photo for me and post here? Thanks~

EARL
 Originally Posted By: DavidPuddy
Earl,
I'm from Elyria.

#1982755 - 03/13/09 09:34 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: EARLSWORLD]
BigDaddyBowman
enthusiast

Parma in the house!

#1982756 - 03/13/09 09:41 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: BigDaddyBowman]
mknez

Should we start a Cleveland area thread?
#1982757 - 03/13/09 09:43 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: yankeeno7]
mattbojo
addict

Originally Posted By: yankeeno7
I have a question about crossovers...when you receive a card...I will use an example of a PSA 7...Do the graders take that card and give their own assessment even if they feel it is higher than a 7? Basically what Im asking is can a card bump up as well as stay the same or down?
Thanks
Barry

Barry, I have crossed over 100s of cards. SGC will not show bias to the other company's flip. If the card meets their standards of an 86, that is what your 7 would cross to. I personally put a Min. Grade of 88 on all 8s I send in and 92 on the 9s. If it does not meet the min. grade it is returned in its original holder and sold on EBay. I have had Many cards receive half grade bumps, but I am pretty picky on what I send in. I would not crack the majority of my submissions because I am too afraid of EOT.

Matt

#1982776 - 03/13/09 11:12 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: yankeeno7]
Brian Administrator
addict

Thanks
Barry

We will evaluate all crossovers in accordance with our grading standards. The most important thing a customer must do is note their minimum grade, but once it is determined that the card will cross, the graders may feel that it is a strong candidate for a higher grade and grade it as such.

Brian

#1982780 - 03/13/09 11:31 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

Thanks Brian!
#1982872 - 03/14/09 08:02 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: EARLSWORLD]
BigDaddyBowman
enthusiast

Janowicz from Elyria...Did you know that Heisman winner Les Horvath was from Cleveland Area too. He attended Parma High up to his Senior year, then transferred to powerhouse Rhodes. At Parma we have a plaque of Horvath in our athletic hallway. I know Elyria has a nice display of Janowicz too.

#1982899 - 03/14/09 11:00 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: BigDaddyBowman]
SMtJoy
veteran

Here are some of my results from crossing from PSA to SGC-

Total Cards sent in- 65 (100%)
Crossover same grade- 39 (60%)
Crossover Minus one grade- 13 (20%)
Crossover Plus one grade+- 12 (18%)
Did Not cross 1 (02%)

These were all sent still in the PSA slab, no crack and send needed.

Edited by SMtJoy (03/14/09 11:01 AM)

#1983514 - 03/17/09 05:04 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: SMtJoy]
nightcrawler
enthusiast

Loc: Downtown Canada

Great news, my C56s are stoked, ready to fly.

Actually I'm not concerned with grades. The SGC holders are the real prize. The whole set will be part of my CU Gary only had one great idea project. I'm planning out a bar that looks more like a card display with everything from unopened 73 chit, to my PSA 73 set ranked #2 at the moment. I still have four 10s and seven 9s to add, but that's as far as it will go. I just can't piss any harder, lol.

#1984589 - 03/29/09 07:35 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
Anonymous Unregistered

Canadians are stinky.
#1984601 - 03/29/09 07:44 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: ]
ynnek4
stranger

hi,

i just sent my first card in to be graded, i sent it priority, registered(does sending something registered slow down the priority mailing?). after doing this i discovered i did not write down the invoice number. if i call sgc this week, will they be able to check the grade by my last name?

just curious.

i figured i would post in here instead of making another thread.

thanks in advance.

#1984609 - 03/29/09 08:48 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: ynnek4]
SMtJoy
veteran

Hi ynnek4,

I would just email Brian or call him I'm sure they will sort it out, when it arrives. Registered might slow it down a day or so but on expensive stuff its well worth it.

#1984625 - 03/30/09 05:56 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: ynnek4]
Brian Administrator
addict

Originally Posted By: ynnek4
hi,

i just sent my first card in to be graded, i sent it priority, registered(does sending something registered slow down the priority mailing?). after doing this i discovered i did not write down the invoice number. if i call sgc this week, will they be able to check the grade by my last name?

just curious.

i figured i would post in here instead of making another thread.

thanks in advance.

Registered may slow down the shipping time depending on where you sent the package from. When you call, we can check by your last name--no problem.

Brian

#1984633 - 03/30/09 08:35 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
ynnek4
stranger

thanks for the replies!

i sent the card priority, registered from florida.

i will wait till the end of the week and give you guys a ring.

this is my first time getting a card graded...period! went with sgc because the grading looks more thorough and the holders are much nicer looking than the others.

oh and one more question! i think i indicated the wrong amount for the grading service i wanted (next day special). i want the next day service but i am not sending in a basketball card. can sgc just adjust the amount on the invoice to be accurate?

much appreciated

Edited by ynnek4 (03/30/09 08:58 AM)

#1985632 - 04/15/09 08:48 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
Tennessee
old hand

I have a quick question........
i am planning on sending in some cards for cross over and some raw,Where do i put the Min grade for cross overs ?

#1985637 - 04/15/09 10:01 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Tennessee]
Brian Administrator
addict

The minimum grades for the crossovers should be listed in the Variations or Comments column.

Brian

#1985638 - 04/15/09 10:17 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
Tennessee
old hand

Thanks brian !!

Well, I had my online sub filled out and ready to print after about two hours of working on it.
I go in to print it out and the system had logged me out and erased my form.
ughhhhh !!

#1985639 - 04/15/09 10:32 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Tennessee]
SMtJoy
veteran

I have found it to be a lot easier to just do my own excel spreadsheet that I include, instead of entering the cards online where they are not saved.
#1985658 - 04/15/09 05:47 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: SMtJoy]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

Originally Posted By: SMtJoy
I have found it to be a lot easier to just do my own excel spreadsheet that I include, instead of entering the cards online where they are not saved.

Me too. I print off an invoice from the web and staple my Excel sheet to the invoice.

#1985685 - 04/16/09 06:41 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
Tennessee
old hand

Just finished packing up my first Sgc submission.
It's on the way to the boys in Parsippany.
i found it was a much easier process than submitting a Psa sub.
thanks to the Sgc team for making it easy.

#1985828 - 04/18/09 04:15 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Tennessee]
Tennessee
old hand

How do you get your Customer Id If it is your first time to send a sub in ???
I see where the Sub arrived this morning in Parsippany, But I don't have a Customer Id to start checking the status.

#1985847 - 04/19/09 09:35 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Tennessee]
rube26105
Pooh-Bah

Loc: i am the spiral architect

Originally Posted By: Tennessee
Just finished packing up my first Sgc submission.
It's on the way to the boys in Parsippany.
i found it was a much easier process than submitting a Psa sub.
thanks to the Sgc team for making it easy.

lol-aint that the truth, you dont have to have 4 years of rocket science, no stickers, nothing, aint it beatiful barry \:D
you will get a customer # automatically when it is logged for a little while i think , you can still check sub status,you cards will be listed after a while, not 2 years like our 1500 sub that is still at psa right before i got the boot, ive had 3 subs pop since then \:\)

#1986030 - 04/23/09 07:27 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: rube26105]
BigRedOne
old hand

content Online
Brian

Food for thought on a new ideal.

Certain cards that I might otherwise have SGC grade will remain ungraded for the fact that the black SGC insert will not look good with the cards.
While the black insert work great with white bordered cards, black borders and certain borderless cards simply are not attractive with the black insert.
71 Topps Baseball
62 Topps Football
85 Topps Football

These are a few that pretty much nobody wants in SGC holders because of the contrast with the black inserts.

My ideal is for SGC to make avaiable a lighter colored insert as an option for people with cards like those mentioned above.

Are the inserts manufactured in house or provided by an outside vender? I would think it would be to much of a added cost to have some Manufactured in a couple different colors.

What say you?

John

#1986039 - 04/23/09 08:49 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: BigRedOne]
mattbojo
addict

I agree with Johh. I love 1971 Topps Baseball cards, but would never buy one with the black SGC insert.

Matt

#1986050 - 04/24/09 05:54 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: mattbojo]
Vintagedeputy
The Collectinator

Loc: Richmond, Va.

I would think that a light tan color would compliment those cards nicely.
#1986052 - 04/24/09 08:09 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Tennessee]
jeanpelch

Loc: Winnipeg

I have found it much easier not to press save before printing as it boots me out too.
When finished the invoice, just right-click and print.

#1986053 - 04/24/09 09:04 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Vintagedeputy]
SMtJoy
veteran

I agree great idea and something SGC should look into. It would also be a super SGC customer service move to top it off.
#1986974 - 05/26/09 05:45 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: SMtJoy]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

New question...
I have come into what I firmly believe to be an authentic 1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson.(It's not my card but a friends). Im looking at the "walk thru" same day service or the "Immediate" service.

Can I actually bring this card to SGC in person and have it done on the same day?

I would really prefer to come back home with it.
Thanks
Barry

#1986975 - 05/26/09 05:52 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: yankeeno7]
meatheadjerry
addict

It is my understanding you can hand deliver the card and wait, you just can't watch the process. I may be all wrong, but I thought I read on Net 54 that people have done it. I hope that card is the real deal, it's a sweet piece of cardboard.
#1986976 - 05/26/09 06:10 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: meatheadjerry]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

That would be great if they do. Unfortunately I cant afford to purchase and hold on to that card myself even if graded only Authentic. But I do hope to make a few bucks out of it \:D
#1986977 - 05/26/09 06:15 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: yankeeno7]
meatheadjerry
addict

That would be great if they do. Unfortunately I cant afford to purchase and hold on to that card myself even if graded only Authentic. But I do hope to make a few bucks out of it \:D

Atleast you get to "carry it around" for awhile, it's a cool card and one day I will get around to owning one.

#1986978 - 05/26/09 06:19 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: meatheadjerry]
bbo
The Collectinator

Drill a hole in the slab, after grading, and thread a piece of fishing line through the hole. Wear it around your neck at the National. Betcha get some action.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#1986979 - 05/26/09 06:24 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: meatheadjerry]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

If its actually authentic, it will be one of the greatest moments in my hobby experiences! Maybe I'll even take it to lunch, go to a movie with it, go fishing with it, go get both it and me a massage LOL

Seriously, it will be a great experience if it is real. The story behind it...he found it in one of his grandmother's old books many years ago. There are no creases but of course some good wear on it. Asthetically, it has very good eye appeal and is pretty well centered. He's kept it in a safety deposit box for the past 25 years.

What will probably make it an SGC 10 is that there was enough wear on the back that some of the writing is difficult to read. I would be thrilled if it got an SGC 20 or SGC 30. I think it definately has a shot.

#1986980 - 05/26/09 06:26 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: yankeeno7]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

Well, Im suppose to have it in my possession on Saturday. Maybe I'll drive it down to New Jersey next Friday.

Edited by yankeeno7 (05/26/09 06:27 PM)

#1986981 - 05/26/09 06:44 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: yankeeno7]
meatheadjerry
addict

Keep us updated and best of luck, I can't wait to see a scan.
#1986982 - 05/26/09 06:46 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: yankeeno7]
Brian Administrator
addict

Hi Barry,

You are welcome to visit our offices to have the card graded while you wait. All we ask is for a 24 hour notice so that we know when to expect you.

Thanks,

Brian

#1986983 - 05/26/09 06:48 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
meatheadjerry
addict

+1 for Brain (rubeism) being on the ball again.

Edited by meatheadjerry (05/26/09 06:49 PM)

#1986986 - 05/26/09 07:16 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: meatheadjerry]
bbo
The Collectinator

Brian (Brain) is the Wizard of Oz. Ask any question and he immediately booms out the answer!

Barry is Dorothy and he is off to see the wizard.

His newly found treasure is Toto, which will be at Barry's side for the entire journey.

Somewhere over the rainbow, Barry meets up with the Tin Man, Scarecrow and Cowardly Lion who join up once reaching SGC.

The wicked witch of the West is Carol at PSA.

....dang, this is easy.

#1986987 - 05/26/09 07:17 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: bbo]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

Should I dress in a skirt? LOL

Thanks Brian, I will definately do that.

#1986988 - 05/26/09 10:07 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: yankeeno7]
mattbojo
addict

Barry, is it a 1914 or 1915 Cracker Jack Jackson? If it is a 1915, I would wait until you see it in hand before making plans. At that time, if you think it will only get an Authentic or SGC 10 grade I would mail it to SGC. The SMR value is $730 for a PSA 1, so it probably would not be in your best interests to spend $75 or $200 on grading fees plus gas money. You could have it graded for $25 via the Grand Slam 5-day service. However, if you think it has a realistic shot at a higher grade or is a 1914 CJ; then I might drive it to SGC. I hope it turns out to be the real deal.

Matt

#1986990 - 05/26/09 11:10 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: mattbojo]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

Matt
I'll have to check on that. Now I'll need some education here. What are the differences between the 1914 and 1915?
I've seen some cracker jacks in person. It's been a while though. Im not too knowledgable about the differences.

#1986991 - 05/26/09 11:40 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: yankeeno7]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

Actually, I found the information. 1914 is much thinner stock cardboard. I agree, if its the 1915, no need to drive down to NJ. From photos, its pretty easy to tell which are 1914's and which are 1915. I guess I'll find out Saturday!
#1986992 - 05/27/09 07:16 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: yankeeno7]
Brian Administrator
addict

Barry,

1914 Cracker Jacks will say Series of 144 on the back; 1915s will say Series of 176. Also, the 1915 CJ backs are printed upside down.

Brian

#1986994 - 05/27/09 07:51 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
TNTonPMS

Loc: Long Island New York

Best of luck to you guys with this card, Yankee .
I like the idea of drilling the hole through the slab and wearing it to the national, LMGDAO, that is too funny !!
But brilliant !
From now on I shall call you Kid Candalance.
Well, maybe I won't address you in that way from now on , maybe just this time or every other time you come up with such a bright idea \:\)

You're almost as bright as I am \:\)

#1987001 - 05/27/09 11:38 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: TNTonPMS]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

Great info Brian! Thanks!
#1987093 - 05/30/09 02:01 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: yankeeno7]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

Well what a partial waste of my time. Good new first...it appears authentic 1915. Nice looking card. Some hairline creases but well centered and very presentable. Some wear on the back that has worn out a very small portion of the words. It was very cool to have it in my hands and looking at it.

Now for the bad news.
After I look it over and explained how it needs to be authenticated and how that can increase its value and avenues to sell, my friend's wife decides that after me looking at the card and giving advice that she wants me out of the loop because she is sure they can do it themselves. Fine, whatever but not even a thank you from her. She turned very cold very quickly when she became empowered with information. My friend felt real bad and apologized to me many times while I was leaving. He wanted me to handle this for him and give me a percentage of the sale.

I just told him that it was ok and I dont blame him. I guess I performed a bit of charity today.

Sorry guys, I have nothing for you now \:\( Im quite disappointed.

#1987094 - 05/30/09 02:29 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: yankeeno7]
meatheadjerry
addict

Crap, I wanted to see a scan. I hope she spills her witches brew on it and it disintegrates.

Edited by meatheadjerry (05/30/09 02:37 PM)

#1987096 - 05/30/09 04:39 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: meatheadjerry]
mattbojo
addict

Ditto what mhjerry said. Maybe she will choose to have it graded by GAI to save a few dollars.

#1987098 - 05/30/09 04:51 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: mattbojo]
Tennessee
old hand

or Pro or Gem.

#1987954 - 07/05/09 03:05 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Tennessee]
Tennessee
old hand

Sending in a couple of subs, both non-sport specials. one is the 7$ and one sub is the 5$ special.
When I go to figure the insurance and shipping I have to do it on two separate invoices,with two separate shipping costs, Correct ?
However, I can ship them together in the same box ?

#1987955 - 07/05/09 03:42 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Tennessee]
FYS

Sending in a couple of subs, both non-sport specials. one is the 7$ and one sub is the 5$ special.
When I go to figure the insurance and shipping I have to do it on two separate invoices,with two separate shipping costs, Correct ?
However, I can ship them together in the same box ?

You can do it all on one invoice and in one box, at least I have. I always attach an Excel sheet to the invoice. The Excel invoice notes the details i.e. different costs, shipping etc.

#1987956 - 07/05/09 03:56 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: FYS]
Tennessee
old hand

Thanks,Do they usually ship invoices separately that you put together ?

#1987957 - 07/05/09 04:08 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Tennessee]
Brian Administrator
addict

Barry--you only need to pay shipping and insurance for the one package--not both invoices.

If you have 20 cards at the $7 rate valued at $1000 and 20 cards at the $5 rate valued at $500, you'd pay postage for 40 cards and insurance for $1500. If you'd like the cards shipped together, you can put everything on one invoice and them itemize your costs at the bottom (20*$7, 20*$5). We'll probably end up combining them into one invoice anyway since it's easier for it to move through the system that way.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Brian

#1987958 - 07/05/09 04:10 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Tennessee]
FYS

Thanks,Do they usually ship invoices separately that you put together ?

Yes they will. However, your return date defaults to the slowest submission timing.

#1988766 - 08/09/09 01:34 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: FYS]
nightcrawler
enthusiast

Great imformative thread, at least the first page was :p

Can someone post the address, or point the way to more info for doing a submission. I'm a newbie in this regard, but I would like to get in tune with the process.

Thanks, I know I'm missing the info I'm asking for, so thanks again.

#1988770 - 08/09/09 09:28 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: nightcrawler]
Brian Administrator
addict

Nightcrawler:

Here's the link to the online submission form. You'll need a username and password to sign in and start the easy process. After you're done filling it out, use your computer's print button to print the form because using the 'Click Here To Print' button can erase the form on some computers based on the settings. We're working to fix that.

http://sgccard.com/online_submission.htm

Brian

#1988779 - 08/09/09 04:21 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
nightcrawler
enthusiast

Thanks Brian, I should be able to get it from here.

Another question... When filling out my address there was no options for countries other than the USA. I just put my whole address in the top box. Do you think that might cause a problem?

#1988780 - 08/09/09 05:03 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: nightcrawler]
Brian Administrator
addict

No problem doing it that way at all.

Thanks,

Brian

#1990387 - 09/23/09 07:25 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
BigRedOne
old hand

content Online
Hi Brian,
I have a couple questions reguarding the Sept. Special.

I have a half dozen or so PSA cards I want to send for Crossover.

All are Football, one is a 55 All-American, the rest are 71 Topps.

I also have some raw 71's I want to send as well.

Can I submit crossovers and raws on the same Submisson Form?

Would the Crossover qualify for the $5.00 special or would they be the $6.00 wild cards Special?

Thanks
John

#1990391 - 09/24/09 07:09 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: BigRedOne]
Brian Administrator
addict

John,

You can submit your raw cards and crossovers on the same invoice. The football special also applies to both raw and crossovers, so as long as all the cards are under $250 in value, you can submit both under the $5 football special.

Thanks,

Brian

#1990716 - 10/13/09 01:32 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
Tennessee
old hand

Was the September $5 Football Special a 10 Business day turn around ?
Was Sgc open for Columbus day ?

#1990737 - 10/14/09 08:11 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Tennessee]
Brian Administrator
addict

Yes, it was a 10 day, and yes, we were open for Columbus Day. Look for your order to pop today or tomorrow.

Brian

#1990738 - 10/14/09 08:24 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
Tennessee
old hand

Thanks Brian !

#1992830 - 01/05/10 12:32 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Tennessee]
ThoseBackPages
enthusiast

Ive not yet submitted to SGC. My next order will be with SGC most likely and im wondering what the return postage will be like?
i hope this question makes sense. Is there a flat fee for returning slabs? im not talking about a HUGE order, if that helps any.

#1992831 - 01/05/10 01:29 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: ThoseBackPages]
SMtJoy
veteran

Hi ThoseBackPages. You can check the fees on the shipping choices by going in and creating a sub invoice. It will list the options USPS or Fedex and the cost with each.

Edited by SMtJoy (01/05/10 01:32 PM)

#1992832 - 01/05/10 01:36 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: SMtJoy]
Danny

Loc: WA, USA

Brian,
WOW. To be able to send raw and crossover on the same invoice. That is real cool and I was not aware of that. I know at PSA- don't even think about mixing cards and crossovers.

#1992833 - 01/05/10 01:37 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: ThoseBackPages]
Brian Administrator
addict

If you create an online invoice, all the charges will be itemized, but in a nutshell, here's a quick outline.

You can have your cards returned via USPS or FedEx and the cost would vary based on the number of cards in your order and the declared value.

Orders valued up to $50,000 may be sent via FedEx.

Orders valued up to $25,000 may be sent via USPS Registered Mail.

Orders valued up to $900 may be sent via USPS Insured Mail.

Base postage for a USPS order would be $8 for 1-10 cards, $12 for 11-20, and then $2 more per additional 10 cards until you get to 90+ cards at which time you'd be notified of the exact cost upon completion of your order.

Insurance ranges from $2.65 to $11 for Insured USPS packages and from $11.50 to $46.85 for Registered Mail packages.

Insurance via FedEx is free up to $500 and is then $3 per additional $500 coverage.

Any package sent via USPS with a value of $200.01 or more will have to be signed for upon delivery.

Any package sent via FedEx which you'd like to sign for would cost $3.25 to ensure that an adult signature is obtained and the package is not left at your door.

Any package being sent to a house is an additional $2.10 via FedEx.

FedEx costs are determined by time zone and services vary from Next AM, Next PM, and 2 Day. The costs range from $16 to $56 and cover up to 30 cards. An additional $2 per 10 cards would apply past that.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Brian

#1992846 - 01/05/10 09:54 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
SMtJoy
veteran

Danny, not only can you send in raw and crossovers on one order, you can also include different size slabs (like regular with tallboy, etc). They will combine all your cards so you only have to pay one total shipping for everything.

SGC is hands down the leader in this area!

Ohh and no darn labels needed on every top loader too )

#1993609 - 01/30/10 01:14 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: SMtJoy]
Blackborder
stranger

I haven't submitted directly yet, but I own SGC cards that have both a hologram sticker on the back and some with a molded plastic logo. I'm assuming the hologram slabs are newer and those are the ones you'll get if you submit. Correct? Thanks,
#1993610 - 01/30/10 01:39 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Blackborder]
Irwin Fletcher
addict

Loc: New Jersey

Actually, the newer and current SGC slabs have the molded plastic logo. The holograms are on the older slabs.
#1993612 - 01/30/10 02:33 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Irwin Fletcher]
Blackborder
stranger

Thanks, appreciate the info. Another question, does SGC slab postcards such as this? Thanks,

#1993613 - 01/30/10 03:36 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Blackborder]
Brian Administrator
addict

Provided we can date the piece, it is most likely something we can grade. A publisher to which it can be attributed would be the best case scenario, but we could also generically label it as a postcard if need be.

Brian

#1993618 - 01/30/10 07:19 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Blackborder]
rube26105
Pooh-Bah

Loc: i am the spiral architect

Originally Posted By: Blackborder
I haven't submitted directly yet, but I own SGC cards that have both a hologram sticker on the back and some with a molded plastic logo. I'm assuming the hologram slabs are newer and those are the ones you'll get if you submit. Correct? Thanks,

DON,IS THAT YOU?PSA DON COIN FORUM LOGUT LINK DON LOL-GIKME A PM BUD WHETHER IS IT IR NOT, his NAME WAS DON, AND A hid id was blackborder on opsa, and he was a great guy, we all got kicked off psa about the same time me/you,jay, bill, im going on my 1 year anniversary now 3/10/10 psa free- the only way to live \:D

#1993753 - 02/04/10 06:11 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
mtduffer
stranger

Brian,

I do not know if this is the correct Message Board, but here goes anyway.

I have had, in the past, several cards graded by you all and have been extremely satisfied.

My question is --- Can a person ask you to only encapsulate a certain grade and above? If so is there any surcharge for that? Or would it behove me to just stick to just having all graded and encapsulated.

Or is it possible to have you grade them and encapsulate them, but only put the Grade on a certain grade and above?

Walt
Montana

#1993754 - 02/04/10 06:59 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: mtduffer]
Brian Administrator
addict

Originally Posted By: mtduffer
Brian,

I do not know if this is the correct Message Board, but here goes anyway.

I have had, in the past, several cards graded by you all and have been extremely satisfied.

My question is --- Can a person ask you to only encapsulate a certain grade and above? If so is there any surcharge for that? Or would it behove me to just stick to just having all graded and encapsulated.

Or is it possible to have you grade them and encapsulate them, but only put the Grade on a certain grade and above?

Walt
Montana

Hi Walt,

It is definitely possible to request a minimum grade on any card that you submit. It is most common on crossovers, but we do have customers that request it on a raw card. When filling out your form, you would put the minimum grade in the variations/comments column. Putting a note on the front of the card holder with the minimum grade would also be a very good idea.

You do pay the full grading fee either way, so the majority of customers will choose to have all their cards graded and encapsulated.

You can also ask that we put your card in an Authentic holder if the card doesn't meet your minimum grade. This would verify the card's authenticity and protect it, but would not give it a numerical grade. The only thing I would mention with this option is that people will likely assume the card has been trimmed or altered if you go to sell it. It is very rare that we put a card that is numerically gradeable in an Authentic holder.

This month we are running a Prescreen special where you can request a minimum grade on lots of 100 cards or more. The cost is $2 per card and $4 additional for any that meet your grade. This would be a good option if you have the quantity of cards because it will save you several dollars per card on anything that doesn't meet your grade.

Hopefully this answered your questions...if not, please let me know.

Thank you,

Brian

#1994250 - 02/21/10 06:56 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
Toledo Mudhen
Just got here

Loc: Texas

So, It's been a while since I have done a submission and I see you are currently running a special on crossovers. I attempted with the online submission form but when I select crossover - the original pricing populates the form automagically. What am I doing wrong and what should the pricing be for crossover on 1955 Topps regular issue? Thanks in advance.
#1994261 - 02/21/10 11:49 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Toledo Mudhen]
Brian Administrator
addict

The online invoice will say something like "Express Crossover/Review Special - $7.50".

You can submit a 1955 Topps card at the above level or if you have 10+, you could submit it at the Post-1948 Crossover/Review Special - $3.50".

Brian

#1994272 - 02/22/10 03:07 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
Toledo Mudhen
Just got here

Thanks Brian - got it figured out (musta been a brain fart). Got 17 of em (mostly from the Evil Empire) headed your way.
#1995140 - 03/16/10 08:34 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Toledo Mudhen]
Mintacular
old hand

Loc: Pittsburgh

Would SGC Grade these and if those in what holder? Would I have to submit 10 or more items? How much would it cost? Would they all grade AUTH only due to hand cuts? I would love to get these behind hard plastic. Thanks...

Edited by Mintacular (03/16/10 08:36 PM)

#1995153 - 03/17/10 07:55 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Mintacular]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Brian,

Hello! My submission arrived there on Moday, but it has not been logged. Are you guys running behind? It's no big deal, but you guys have always logged my subs on the day they've arrived. I just want to make sure there's not a problem. Thanks!

David

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#1995156 - 03/18/10 04:55 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
bbo
The Collectinator

I think they're in Chicago at the Sun Times show.
Maybe took your sub and displaying it at their booth on how (or how not) to fill out an invoice??

Just sayin'.

#1995158 - 03/18/10 06:56 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: bbo]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Originally Posted By: bbo
I think they're in Chicago at the Sun Times show.
Maybe took your sub and displaying it at their booth on how (or how not) to fill out an invoice??

Just sayin'.

Invoice? I was supposed to fill out an invoice?

BUYING Well Centered:

#1995159 - 03/18/10 07:13 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
K-dog
veteran

LOL
#1995160 - 03/18/10 07:38 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
Brian Administrator
addict

Originally Posted By: vintagetoppsguy
Brian,

Hello! My submission arrived there on Moday, but it has not been logged. Are you guys running behind? It's no big deal, but you guys have always logged my subs on the day they've arrived. I just want to make sure there's not a problem. Thanks!

David

Hi David,

Your invoice is now logged in. Some orders did experience a longer than usual wait to be logged in due to the Philly Show this past weekend. We are 99% caught up now. As always, the submitter gets credit for the day the package arrives at our office no matter how long it takes us to log it in.

Thanks,

Brian

#1995161 - 03/18/10 07:41 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Mintacular]
Brian Administrator
addict

Originally Posted By: Mintacular
Would SGC Grade these and if those in what holder? Would I have to submit 10 or more items? How much would it cost? Would they all grade AUTH only due to hand cuts? I would love to get these behind hard plastic. Thanks...

We can encapsulate these, and they would be Authentic only. The four card strip may be too large for the oversize holder (it would have to measure less than 9"). The three card strip can go in the large holder at a cost of $20. The two card strip may fit in the tall boy slab if it is less than 3 1/2" wide, but it would be displayed sideways. That would cost $10. We can orient it so the cards are right side up in the oversize holder for $20.

Brian

#1996118 - 05/03/10 10:07 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
purduepete
enthusiast

Loc: USA

Brian,

Every time there is a Crossover Special, I have a question about the same topic - so I figured that I would add it to this thread to help me out the next time... \:\)

Anyway, my question is: Can cards with custom inserts be included on the Crossover Special?

Thanks!

My White Sox prewar set

#1996168 - 05/06/10 07:19 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: purduepete]
purduepete
enthusiast

Loc: USA

Looks like I just needed to read the fine print to get my answer...

Quote:
Specials do not include oversized cards, cabinets, or cards requiring custom-cut inserts.

My White Sox prewar set

#1996170 - 05/06/10 08:38 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: purduepete]
Brian Administrator
addict

You can send cards requiring a custom insert along with your crossovers but you must pay $10+ for those custom cards. The special rates do not apply to those cards.

#1996405 - 05/18/10 10:39 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
BigRedOne
old hand

content Online
Hi Brian,

My Question? Does SGC grade the 1972 Sunoco Football Stamps?

If so what are the policies as far as removing the stamps from sheets and Packs?

PSA requires they be removed by hand. Any cutting will void them nongradable due to trimming. Which I think is the correct policy.

PSA also told me that they will grade them in 4 stamp "Blocks"

Where does SGC stand on this 72 Stamp issue?

Thanks
John

#1996409 - 05/19/10 04:59 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: BigRedOne]
Brian Administrator
addict

John,

I'm sure that we grade them, but I'll have to check on the policies re: grading for you.

Brian

#1996419 - 05/19/10 10:54 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
BigRedOne
old hand

content Online
Thanks Brian.

I have a set of these stamps listed for sale in the "buy/Sell/" section. Question were asked about having them graded.

While I never subbed any, PSA policy stated that they could not be cut or trimmed in any way. They also stated that they could be graded in 4 stamp "Blocks"

A board member has interest in having his Viking stamps graded, but is unsure of the policies reguarding them.

I highly advised him NOT to cut the stamps from the sheets(As per PSA's no cuting policy)

One thing that does concern me. The Team sheets(which have the nicest stamps) These sheets have a factory cut edge, so the stamps on the outside are always going to have a smooth edge which I always feared that PSA would say they have been trimmed.

All the stamps that I featured in the set on this board were removed by hand by me and in NO way have been trimmed. I even went as far as taking pictures of me Seperateing those Team Sheets. Please see that post for more details.

Thanks for all your help
John

#1996423 - 05/19/10 12:36 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: BigRedOne]
Brian Administrator
addict

Hi John,

We will grade the Sunoco stamps if they have been pulled apart by hand and not cut by hand. The presence of the straight, factory edge from the team sheets is fine, but there should not be straight edges where you would expect perforations to be.

We will only grade single stamps from this issue.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Brian

#1996429 - 05/19/10 05:24 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
BigRedOne
old hand

content Online
Thanks Brian.

Is the 72 Sunoco set listed in the Registry?

Do The stamps qualify for the $5.00 Special?
Man oh Man 624 stamps would cost a fortune!

What kind of insert is used for something this small?

Sorry for the 20 questions, just try to be sure on all points.

No offsense meant here, but I am assuming your graders and staff have the info and Knowledge to know the location of the stamps not only on the team sheets, but the Sheets issued in the collector albums as well, as they will also feature factory straight edges on some of the stamps as well.

Thank You again for all your help
John

#1996433 - 05/19/10 06:22 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: BigRedOne]
Brian Administrator
addict

The Sunoco set is not listed, but can be if you decide to pursue it.

The stamps would not qualify for the specials because they require a custom insert. They would be slabbed in plastic baggies to stabilize them. All stamps cost $12 to grade and slab.

Our graders are definitely familiar with them. They knew exactly what I was talking about and rattled off some facts as I brought the set up to them. I think they remember collecting them back in the day.

Brian

#1996434 - 05/19/10 08:45 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
BigRedOne
old hand

content Online
Thanks Again Brian,
I will direct those who inquired to check this post for all the info they need.

take care
John

#1998952 - 12/30/10 12:41 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Danny]
cammb
old hand

Loc: Jamesport, NY

Brian, I am really having a problem with the grading by SGC. I have submitted cards every month since April with moderate agreement of the grading, but the last batch of cards I sent this month is totally unacceptable. I handpicked 8 of these card and with a magnifying glass went over them . No creases, with moderately sharp corners and all with gloss . & of the 8 were graded SGC 50. How do I go about appealing this grade.
#1998953 - 12/30/10 12:55 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: cammb]
brick
addict

Loc: Central Ohio

Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear about your experience. SGC is just as good or better than any grading company except for centering issues. Your cards evidently have some imperceptable technical flaws. Quite a coincidence that this happened to eight cards. Did you get all eight from the same source?

#1998954 - 12/30/10 02:16 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: cammb]
cammb
old hand

THE CARDS IN QUESTION ARE ALL 1952 TOPPS GARNERED FROM DIFFERENT PLACES. What gets me is I am grading these at ex/nm and they are coming back vg/ex. What does an ex/mt card look like from sgc? I am frustrated because I am not a novice and have been collecting for many years and these grades , to me , are not justified. I appreciate the SGC standards but they are not grading to their own stated standards as to what a card in ex should grade. Their standards between a 60 and a 50 is centering and these cards fit at least a 60.
#1998955 - 12/30/10 02:49 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: cammb]
meatheadjerry
addict

I've got 1 1952 EX-MT, the corners are better than the scan shows ( I'm horrible with the scanner).

Post a few pics of your slabbed cards and maybe we can be of more help.

Edited by meatheadjerry (12/30/10 02:51 PM)

#1998956 - 12/30/10 05:06 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: cammb]
bbo
The Collectinator

If they're all dropping from 80 to 50, then there has to be surface wrinkles, front and/or back that you're missing.

#1998957 - 12/30/10 08:43 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: bbo]
SMtJoy
veteran

Sorry to hear that, post some scans so we can judge too.
#1998958 - 12/31/10 03:07 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: SMtJoy]
Toledo Mudhen
Just got here

My experience has also been that whnever I was shocked to have a card come back as a 50 - there was always a surface wrinkle issue. Albeit I had to really magnify a bunch to find them. (got a 55 Robinson that I just knew was an 84 come back as a 50 - ouch)
#1998965 - 12/31/10 11:37 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Toledo Mudhen]
Brian Administrator
addict

Hi Cammb,

Without seeing the cards in question, I would almost guarantee that there are hidden creases or wrinkles in your cards. It's not uncommon for the stock of 52 Topps to hide these so that they're not immediately visible unless looked at under the right conditions. A magnifying glass is not the best way to look at the cards, though it will help pick up certain flaws. In order to see what the graders are seeing, I'd recommend getting a halogen lamp and a dark room. You'd be shocked at what you can see under those conditions.

I'd really recommend trying to replicate the grading environment to see if you can pick up the flaws. You can always send the cards back to SGC, in their holders, with your next order or on their own for an explanation. The graders will circle the crease or wrinkle or imperfection that causes the grade.

A card will not arbitrarily be graded a 50--there is always a reason. As I mentioned earlier, most commonly it is a crease or several wrinkles. It may be that someone pressed out a creases leaving a depressed area on the card in which case SGC 50 is the highest grade.

You can sometimes argue a half grade here or there, but whenever the grade is off by a few levels, there's usually a hidden flaw. At least two graders review every card prior to it shipping back to you, so if it was an error, someone would have caught it.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Brian

#1998978 - 12/31/10 07:02 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
cammb
old hand

Thanks for all the responses. Posting a scan of these cards would not help because they would all look great. I dont know what Im missing but I,ll stick with SGC for awhile longer. I got about 50 more 1952s that need grading and will probably resubmit to PSA. I think they are a little more lenient in their grading. I just neede this forum to blow off some steam and frustration. Thanks.
#1998990 - 01/01/11 03:20 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: cammb]
Anonymous Unregistered

Originally Posted By: cammb
I got about 50 more 1952s that need grading and will probably resubmit to PSA. I think they are a little more lenient in their grading.

I think you're just a grading newbie and don't know what you're looking for.

#1998991 - 01/02/11 06:37 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: cammb]
arexcrooke
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Lenoir, N.C.

Originally Posted By: cammb
I think they are a little more lenient in their grading.

Why would you want a company that gives out more lenient grades? It cheapens the overall product

#1998992 - 01/02/11 07:28 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: arexcrooke]
brick
addict

PSA is certainly not more lenient than SGC. Both companies do a fine job. To feel PSA is more lenient may show a lack of experience in grading, as does having more than a few come back with much lower grades than expected.

#1998993 - 01/02/11 07:43 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: brick]
Toledo Mudhen
Just got here

I do think the PSA policy of adding qualifiers, especially OC, does a huge disservice to its customer base. Getting a card back with a PSA 8(OC) designator for instance, may give one a warm and fuzzy but in reality that same card should have come back with just a stright 6 on it. PSA qualifiers are the equivalent of the kiss of death, IMHO. (additionally, don't get me started on the "NEW" half grade designators). All of these types of grades were designed for one thing - that is to make the customer feel like they are getting a "BETTER" service or "GRADE" from PSA than they would if the card were sent to SGC.
#1998994 - 01/02/11 05:22 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Toledo Mudhen]
bbo
The Collectinator

PSA = Poser Superceding All (others)
PSA = Possibly Serious Alchemists
PSA = Pitiful Slab, A

Happy New Year to all the SGC faithful.

#1998995 - 01/02/11 05:58 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: brick]
cammb
old hand

To say PSA is not more lenient shows a lack of knowledge on your part. I have seen many examples of cards with nicked corners, staining and most recent a Joe Page 52 Topps #48 with a huge defect on his chin with a grade of EX. If anything, SGC is most consistent, no matter how I feel about their ever so strict guidelines.
#2007175 - 03/29/12 05:51 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
jeff550
stranger

Question, I submited a few cards that tracking says was delivered, but when I search the invoice number nothing comes up. Should a be concerned? Thanks
#2007178 - 03/29/12 06:32 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: jeff550]
SMtJoy
veteran

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the boards!

Not sure I understand what might be up but if you sent in cards and they do not come up under your account on the SGC site it usually takes them a couple days to get it up there. If you are worried that they received it, I would just call Earl at SGC and he will help for sure, at least to tell you they got it.

If its something else let me know and I can try to help.

Good luck and post some pics when you get your cards back.

#2007182 - 03/29/12 08:12 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: SMtJoy]
brick
addict

Hi Jeff550 welcome aboard.

#2008708 - 06/17/12 05:09 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: rube26105]
TheHun

Quote:

DON,IS THAT YOU?PSA DON COIN FORUM LOGUT LINK DON LOL-GIKME A PM BUD WHETHER IS IT IR NOT, his NAME WAS DON, AND A hid id was blackborder on opsa, and he was a great guy, we all got kicked off psa about the same time me/you,jay, bill, im going on my 1 year anniversary now 3/10/10 psa free- the only way to live \:D

Hey Rube -

funny how we all ended up here. I was given the unceremonious boot because I had the audacity to question PSA's knowledge on soccer cards !

Without sounding like a braggart, I have been collecting soccer artifacts for a museum for over 20 years. I would love to meet anyone with similar knowledge. And if PSA cannot take criticism of their glaring errors on slabbed soccer material, then its not only their loss, but all the collectors who believe that PSA know what they are doing. (they do not)

Anyway, I am looking to slab part of the museum collection. Right now the choices are SGC or Beckett.

http://planet-z.ecrater.com/

#2012149 - 10/31/12 07:49 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: TheHun]
KRB
enthusiast

my 1st time sending cards to SGC.
I had Bill call me for missing info, he seemed to be a nice person.
My only thing is I saw a check submission tab, but it doesnt work for me, this is what i get:

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 96.57.110.235
Suggestions:
Access a cached copy of 96.57.110.235/sgcweb/SignIn.aspx
Try reloading: 96.57.110.235/sgcweb/SignIn.aspx
Search on Google:

I had only sent 2 packages, to Beckett.
The last one was a horrible experience, it got lost on its way there.
So, when Bill called, it gave me some relief it got there.
also looking for 52 #311 A variation mantle
ROOKIE CARDS baseball & football.

#2012152 - 10/31/12 09:11 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: KRB]
SMtJoy
veteran

Welcome aboard KBR and good luck with your sub and make sure to post pics when you get it back!

I think the error you are getting is because the SGC site is down (not sure if its because of the storm or their move) but they are down. I know the first time anyone goes to check on a sub they need to have a username and password setup so you might still need to do that.

I would give them a couple days to get things back up after the storm.

#2012161 - 10/31/12 03:56 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: KRB]
trex
addict

Bill and Earl are both great people to work with. If Bill called you, then he has your sub, I would think. They're still having problems with their site due to the storm and the move. Give them a little time to work their issues, nature and a move, and all will be good.

#2012169 - 10/31/12 06:43 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: KRB]
brewing
journeyman

Loc: Georgia

Originally Posted By: KRB
my 1st time sending cards to SGC.
I had Bill call me for missing info, he seemed to be a nice person.
My only thing is I saw a check submission tab, but it doesnt work for me, this is what i get:

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 96.57.110.235
Suggestions:
Access a cached copy of 96.57.110.235/sgcweb/SignIn.aspx
Try reloading: 96.57.110.235/sgcweb/SignIn.aspx
Search on Google:

They've had some issues with their servers due to the storm.

#2012233 - 11/07/12 11:45 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: brewing]
texanstwoone

I have a Mantle card that is in good condition but has a pin mark on the back. Would it grade as Authentic since it has been altered or would SGC give it a grade and note that it has been marked?
Thanks!

#2012236 - 11/07/12 12:39 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: texanstwoone]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Originally Posted By: texanstwoone
I have a Mantle card that is in good condition but has a pin mark on the back. Would it grade as Authentic since it has been altered or would SGC give it a grade and note that it has been marked?
Thanks!

If it's just a random ink mark, it should grade numerically, but probably between 1.5 to 2.5. If it's a mark to hide a flaw (such as using black Sharpee to improve a '71 Topps card), it might only grade authentic. Being on the back, I'm guessing that it's just a random mark and would grade numerically.

BUYING Well Centered:

#2012238 - 11/07/12 01:11 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
texanstwoone

Cool thanks for the reply vintagetoppsguy. Let me get a picture so I can describe it better to you. I think the mark is random.
Well, nevermind Im finding it bit to difficult to send a photo here.

Edited by texanstwoone (11/07/12 01:25 PM)

#2012449 - 11/14/12 01:33 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: texanstwoone]
KRB
enthusiast

Got a email, saying FedEx should deliver 11/16, tracking says sent out from NY today. I am able to access track invoice, but getting errors providing username/cust id.
Bill did say it might have a problem.
Cant wait to see what got done to the cards.

Edited by KRB (11/14/12 02:44 PM)

#2014303 - 01/02/13 01:48 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Brian]
Scottgia3

Hi
I held off on submitting in December because I chose to buy a card I had my eye on. I was hoping to take advantage if the specials... Does anyone know (Earl) if sgc will have a January or February special? Are there always monthly specials?

#2014307 - 01/02/13 01:57 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Scottgia3]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Originally Posted By: Scottgia3
Hi
I held off on submitting in December because I chose to buy a card I had my eye on. I was hoping to take advantage if the specials... Does anyone know (Earl) if sgc will have a January or February special? Are there always monthly specials?

Welcome to the boards. Yes, there are always monthly specials, but they vary from month to month. The specials haven't been posted for January, but probably will be very soon.

BUYING Well Centered:

#2015467 - 02/04/13 11:43 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
Scottgia3

Hi,
Going to be a first time submitter and taking advantage of the February specials. I have 33 cards I am submitting for the special (10 day turnaround for 1900-present $7/card for $250 max value) and I have 5 other cards that exceed that max value...3 of which are 1949-present and 2 of which are pre 1948. My question is do I have to pay for the tier that would give me a 10 day turnaround for the 5 cards not covered under the special? Will those five cards be shipped within the 10 day turnaround or will the 33 other cards wait to be shipped if the other cards are a longer turnaround? The 3 cards 1949 or later come to $21 and the 2 others come to $20 total, but I think the turnaround time is longer......does this mean i need to pay for a higher tier? Sorry if this is confusing...

Edited by Scottgia3 (02/04/13 11:45 AM)

#2015468 - 02/04/13 12:04 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Scottgia3]
SMtJoy
veteran

Hi Scott,

Ok let me see if I can help. On a mixed sub, you will usually have to go with the longest turnaround for the whole sub if you only want one shipping cost. The tiers above usually have shorter time frames as they are for higher value cards.

As an examples of the sub below-

33 cards under the Wildcards special $7/10 up to $250
33 X $7 = $231
5 expensive cards under express $10/10 day up to $500 Value
5 x $10 = $50
12 Hockey Cards under special $5/20 day up to $250
12 x $5 = $60

Total Sub would be 50 cards with a total sub cost without shipping of $341 and a turnaround of 20 days (because of the hockey specials).

Hope that helps and good luck on the sub!!!

#2015469 - 02/04/13 12:23 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: SMtJoy]
Scottgia3

Thank you...guess that means i have to wait for the 5 other cards to be done....no biggie...thanks again

Edited by Scottgia3 (02/04/13 12:34 PM)

#2015622 - 02/11/13 12:33 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Scottgia3]
Scottgia3

Last question I have before sending my submission this week. Can I print a shipping label for return shipping and send it with my order? I work at an office that I would be able to print a label......
Also, if I can do this can someone let me know if this sounds right? I came out to $51 return shipping. That sounds high but it said add $3 per $500 insurance and the total value of my submission was over $5000 because I have 38 cards I am submitted with a handful over $250. Thank you

#2015628 - 02/11/13 02:23 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Scottgia3]
SMtJoy
veteran

I would call them on the return shipping.
#2015640 - 02/12/13 10:40 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: SMtJoy]
Scottgia3

Thank you.... I emailed them but no response yet. I have my submission boxed and ready to go... Alittle nervous about sending them through the mail... But I've done it with Beckett before and made it fine....
#2015641 - 02/12/13 11:35 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Scottgia3]
Scottgia3

And as far as return shipping... Just realized I can use our FedEx account number.... Duh
#2015644 - 02/12/13 12:56 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Scottgia3]
SMtJoy
veteran

I have sent some very expensive packages to them, I always use USPS Registered, it's slower but the safest way to ship and you can insure up to $25,000 with it.
#2015645 - 02/12/13 02:16 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: SMtJoy]
KRB
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: SMtJoy
I have sent some very expensive packages to them, I always use USPS Registered, it's slower but the safest way to ship and you can insure up to $25,000 with it.

I always forget ....registered you have to use the brown tape they told me..i always end up using the clear packing tape. but i always us DC and insure it well above its value. I had one shipment get lost to beckett and i learned the process quickly. the insurance barely covered the raw card cost.

#2015665 - 02/13/13 07:39 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: KRB]
Scottgia3

SMTJOY....Thanks for the informatin. I just sent my cards USPS Registered and insured for total value. They said it might take a day more. I am sending it from NJ and Bound Brook, NJ is only a few hours from me. Thanks again. I can rest easier now. I will post results when I get them back in 10 business days...give or take a few more days.
#2015667 - 02/13/13 08:36 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Scottgia3]
hitman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

Hey Scott Good Luck with your sub. I can't wait to see some pics when they come back
#2015706 - 02/15/13 05:58 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: hitman]
Scottgia3

Just tracked my submission and it was delivered this morning. Whewww...I can relax now, that always makes me nervous. I just realized with return shipping I put our Fedex account, but Im not sure I checked what option I want. i guess they will email me...right? thank you...
#2015728 - 02/16/13 06:50 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Scottgia3]
Scottgia3

I probably know the answer to this... But how many days pass before sgc sends an email confirmation that the order is received? My tracking info says they got it 6:50am yesterday so that should be first day of 10 day service, but if I didn't get email yet will the 10 days start when I do get it....? Thank you.
#2016051 - 03/09/13 12:22 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Scottgia3]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Scottgia3
I probably know the answer to this... But how many days pass before sgc sends an email confirmation that the order is received? My tracking info says they got it 6:50am yesterday so that should be first day of 10 day service, but if I didn't get email yet will the 10 days start when I do get it....? Thank you.
The day the order is received is when the turnaround time starts.

#2016497 - 04/04/13 03:30 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: EARLSWORLD]
KRB
enthusiast

What is the largest card SGC can slab???
Can they do a 7 x 8 3/4 ??

Looked at the "Do not grade" tab..says the can do most cards 7 x 9
or contact Earl Johnson.

UPDATE PIC:

Edited by KRB (04/05/13 12:42 PM)

#2016503 - 04/05/13 01:33 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: KRB]
KRB
enthusiast

I looked at some population reports
PSA & Beckett has NONE.
But i found SGC has SLABBED 4 of these (A)

#2016564 - 04/11/13 11:26 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: KRB]
KRB
enthusiast

I want to send some cards in...
How much and what i need to do?????

1. the card above ^^^ 1960 Post Cereal/Grape Nuts
2. 1929 Shoew Japanese Postcard Babe Ruth 'unmarked'
3. Joe Namath RC tall boy 1965

Does it require additional fees? oversized/insert? and if i can put them on same submission without a issue??

#2016565 - 04/11/13 02:12 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: KRB]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Brother I wish I could help ya but I have no idea what it would cost. I know one thing........I can't wait to see that Willie Joe Namath rookie in the holder...........i wish I never would have sold mine. Not that its an iconic card but it just looks good and he played for the Crimson Tide. Love that card. Best of luck and someone should chime in soon to give ya some answers.

#2016567 - 04/11/13 03:01 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: KRB]
SMtJoy
veteran

Well a lot depends on how much you value the cards but here goes-

1. If you value the 1960 Post Mantle at $500 or less than its a $20 grading fee, if $500 or more than its a $40 grading fee (both are 20 business day turnaround)

2. Postcards use tallboy slabs and they do not cost any additional over stand fees, really varies on what value you assign to it. If you value at $500 or less then its the express service and $15 to grade.

3. Another Tall boy slab and pricing on value, if you value at $500 or less then its the express service and $15 to grade.

On combined orders you will get the slowest shipping so #1 and 20 business days

#2016571 - 04/12/13 06:37 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: SMtJoy]
KRB
enthusiast

Thanks guys--
after taking the time and looking at the Namath and the nice holder i have it in...i think i may be willing to sell it for the right price.
Ebay and its fee are costly, would a Auction House be a good idea??

Edited by KRB (04/12/13 08:18 AM)

#2016572 - 04/12/13 07:50 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: KRB]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

It has a home at my house....lmk what u need on it.

#2016573 - 04/12/13 08:27 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Blackie]
KRB
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Blackie
It has a home at my house....lmk what u need on it.

Sending PM.

#2016574 - 04/12/13 10:05 AM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: KRB]
KRB
enthusiast

Thank you BLACKIE !!!
for pushing me to send these 3 items in. I just got back from the post office...paid over 30$ for shipping and insurance (1200)
BUT well worth it. and got it off my to-do list.
They should arrive at SGC on the 15th.

BLACKIE-- if it comes back higher than a 5..i be ecstatic, but your wallet wont be.

#2016576 - 04/12/13 12:18 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: KRB]
SMtJoy
veteran

Good luck on your sub KRB!
#2016590 - 04/14/13 02:18 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: SMtJoy]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

I hope you get great grades KRB! Now what other two cards besides the Namath did you send in?

#2016596 - 04/14/13 03:41 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: Blackie]
KRB
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Blackie
I hope you get great grades KRB! Now what other two cards besides the Namath did you send in?

the 1960 post cereal
and the 1929 Shoew Japanese Babe Ruth
with the Namath RC

#2018524 - 01/11/14 12:05 PM Re: Submission FAQs [Re: KRB]
Chooster
stranger

hi guys im new to this forum and just have a question about filling the submission form out. Im not sure if anyone has sent in pokemon cards but that's what im going to send it, anyone have a copy of what the form should look like filled out ?, this is my first time sending in cards so any help would be appreciated thanks.........Cody
Page all of 18 12345>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 1 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.32 seconds in which 0.122 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.