Page 3 of 19 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1989947 - 09/12/09 02:58 PM Re: OFFICIAL TTM POST: SHOW THEM IF YOU GOT 'EM! [Re: EARLSWORLD]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

That makes a new total of 35 1958 Topps players/cards that I have successfully received through the mail!!! What an awesome start!

BROOKS ROBINSON ~ One of the Greatest to Ever Play the Game!

#1989952 - 09/12/09 05:18 PM THE THRILL OF COLLECTING AUTOGRAPHS TTM! [Re: EARLSWORLD]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

I received my Through The Mail autograph today from one of the great Brooklyn/L.A. Dodgers pitchers who dominated the N.L. for years...Carl Erskine! Along with the 58 Topps card he sign for me, he also included a card of his own that was personalized to me and to my surprise answered some questions for me in a short note he hand wrote! I was utterly amazed that Carl Erskine, at age 83 would take the time to write me and share some of his Major Leagur memories with me that included Duke Snider, Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella and Sandy Koufax!! WOW! Needless to say, today I have become a HUGE Carl Erskine fan!!! I hope you enjoy this...

#1989954 - 09/12/09 05:36 PM Re: THE THRILL OF COLLECTING AUTOGRAPHS TTM! [Re: EARLSWORLD]
oneofthree67
old hand

Loc: CT

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW EARL! That is really COOL! I am still smiling after reading your post!! This POST made my day and was tops for posting today on the message board!

#1989956 - 09/12/09 05:54 PM Re: THE THRILL OF COLLECTING AUTOGRAPHS TTM! [Re: oneofthree67]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

When did you send Erskine? I mailed him a month ago and no response yet \:\( Congrats on yours! \:D
#1989957 - 09/12/09 06:01 PM Re: THE THRILL OF COLLECTING AUTOGRAPHS TTM! [Re: oneofthree67]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Hi Gary~

Glad you found some enjoyment through my post! I am thrilled whenever I can contribute in such a way for other collectors. I must say, when I opened the mail from Erskine today I got goosebumps reading the note he wrote to me! What an amazing person he is...to think of all the requests he must get through the mail and at 83 would take the time to write me a note and comment on my letter! I am just in awe of that! I have truly become a fan of his! This is just one of the many surprises you often get when you write players and seek out autographs through the mail. I have many stories I could tell you about my football HOF collection I did through the mail back in 1989. Some players are just so grateful to the fans and for having been able to play their respective sports! I am so glad I got back into TTM's!

EARL

#1989961 - 09/12/09 06:47 PM Re: THE THRILL OF COLLECTING AUTOGRAPHS TTM! [Re: yankeeno7]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: yankeeno7
When did you send Erskine? I mailed him a month ago and no response yet \:\( Congrats on yours! \:D
Hi Barry~
sent my request out on August 29th and just got it back today! Not long as yours...what addy did you send it to? Thanks for the congrats...I am very proud of this one!

#1989988 - 09/13/09 05:16 PM Re: THE THRILL OF COLLECTING AUTOGRAPHS TTM! [Re: EARLSWORLD]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

That Erskine letter is beyond cool. WOW!

Earl,

Great cards you have. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun
with this project. I hope you keep showing some great stuff.

Tony

#1989994 - 09/13/09 07:52 PM Re: THE THRILL OF COLLECTING AUTOGRAPHS TTM! [Re: aconte]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Hi Tony!

Been a while since I've heard from you! You like my newest project huh? Back in the late 70's I became a big collector of through the mail autographs back when you could easily get Koufax, Yaz, Drysdale, Nolan Ryan, and so many other HOF's to sign your stuff through the mail! I remember as a teen collecting TTM's and I'll tell you I couldn't get home fast enough to see the stack of envelopes waiting for me. It was like Christmas every day! But, like so many other things, the older we get more distractions come along and you move on to what you think are bigger and better...it's funny because the friend I got hooked on collecting TTM's is actually the person who got me back to collecting now! And I'm glad I did! Once again, every day is sort of a surprise because I never know who is coming in the mail or what kind of surprises await me in every envelope!

I decided to start collecting a 1958 Topps autographed set because of my love for this year's design. There are over 250 living players still available to write to. It's amazing because most of the players from the 58 set were born in the mid to late 20's to very early 30's! That's something when you think about their longevity!

Keep watching this post and you will continue to see my latest pick ups! Thanks, as always Tony for your interest and support!

EARL

#1989995 - 09/13/09 08:41 PM Re: THE THRILL OF COLLECTING AUTOGRAPHS TTM! [Re: EARLSWORLD]
BigRedOne
old hand

Earl

A very cool and unique piece you recieved.
In a hobby that often times seems to be consumed by
money and price guides. Every now and then you still see
something like this that touches more on a personal note and goes beyond the "whats it worth" mentality.

John

#1990004 - 09/14/09 01:21 PM Re: THE THRILL OF COLLECTING AUTOGRAPHS TTM! [Re: BigRedOne]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

Page 3 of 19 <12345>Last »

Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.