Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2000260 - 05/01/11 11:41 AM ACTION !!!!!!
goldenhawk
addict

Loc: ky

There is not much action going on as far as set building on SGC right now.I had my 53 topps PSA set up to 20th place,a few days later it was 22nd.Now thats action.Its seems to me its getting kinda stagnant on here.Hoppy & i on the 54 SGC topps sets mostly trade with each other because we both have 2 sets started,but other than that,the 54s have zero activity.What can SGC do to generate some interest in building sets on here? I think a $3.50 special for 200 cards or more of the same set.I think thats the only way we can afford to grade commons.If u pay 6 bucks to get a $6.00 card graded,that doesnt make much sense to me.PSA has had $3.50 specials before so it is possible to do that.Brian was a driving force but Brian is gone.I dont c any1 stepping up & taking his place.They need to say u have cards u want graded,we grade cards.What do we need to do to generate some activity?Mr Stuckemeyer sets r slowly disappearing probably most r getting crossed over to PSA.They were such dominating sets i couldnt compete with them anyway.Cmon SGC & the members on here,lets get the little red arrows going & c some ACTION!!!!!!
#2000268 - 05/01/11 03:01 PM Re: ACTION !!!!!! [Re: goldenhawk]
brick
addict

Loc: Central Ohio

SGC can have specials to increase submissions but I don't see them competing with PSA in Post War cards. The value of high grade PSA sets far exceed the value of SGC sets. There may be exceptions of individual cards in SGC holders selling for a premium but PSA is the leader by a wide margin. As you said many of the cards in the broken up sets are being crossed to PSA.

#2000270 - 05/01/11 04:01 PM Re: ACTION !!!!!! [Re: brick]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

The ideal model for SGC Registry members is to buy raw and submit. There's not enough trading interest to do much good trading. Buying PSA and crossing is a losing proposition...why help the competition sell inconsistently graded cards?

I doubt we ever see a $3.50 special over here. Even if we do, there won't be enough time to put together a sub in less than 30 days. It needs to be an August special for the National and thereafter. If SGC announced that, I might even go to Chicago this summer.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2000273 - 05/01/11 05:11 PM Re: ACTION !!!!!! [Re: bbo]
estang
(S)uper Collector

I just sent in about 50+ cards of Carew & Vikings, including the entire Sunoco Stamp Set...

Erik

#2000277 - 05/02/11 02:31 AM Re: ACTION !!!!!! [Re: estang]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

I don't pay close attention to grading specials but when did PSA have a 3.50 special? I would assume that is a losing proposition?

#2000281 - 05/02/11 10:50 AM Re: ACTION !!!!!! [Re: jackstraw]
SMtJoy
veteran

I just cant see them ever offering a $3.5 special, just does not seem like enough to make a profit on.
#2000282 - 05/02/11 11:13 AM Re: ACTION !!!!!! [Re: goldenhawk]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Originally Posted By: goldenhawk
There is not much action going on as far as set building on SGC right now.I had my 53 topps PSA set up to 20th place,a few days later it was 22nd.Now thats action.Its seems to me its getting kinda stagnant on here.Hoppy & i on the 54 SGC topps sets mostly trade with each other because we both have 2 sets started,but other than that,the 54s have zero activity.What can SGC do to generate some interest in building sets on here? I think a $3.50 special for 200 cards or more of the same set.I think thats the only way we can afford to grade commons.If u pay 6 bucks to get a $6.00 card graded,that doesnt make much sense to me.PSA has had $3.50 specials before so it is possible to do that.Brian was a driving force but Brian is gone.I dont c any1 stepping up & taking his place.They need to say u have cards u want graded,we grade cards.What do we need to do to generate some activity?Mr Stuckemeyer sets r slowly disappearing probably most r getting crossed over to PSA.They were such dominating sets i couldnt compete with them anyway.Cmon SGC & the members on here,lets get the little red arrows going & c some ACTION!!!!!!

I totally agree. $3.50 (maybe even $4.00) for a set registry special would be great! They could even include some stipulation that all 200 cards must be from the same set. I, too, am building a '54 Topps set. In fact, the only card I am missing is the Aaron RC. Most of the set is raw, but the money cards are SGC graded - both Williams, Banks, Mays, J. Robinson, Kaline, Berra, Snider and Mathews. I am going to send in the Spahn, Lasorda, Ford, Ashburn and a couple of others for the May special. Anyway, if SGC offered some kind of set registry special as Goldenhawk suggested, I would definitely grade the rest of my set. However, at $6 a card it doesn't make sense to grade all those commons. There's probably 235 raw cards and it would cost me $1600 to grade the rest of the set. I don't think it would increase the value of my set by $1600, so it just isn't worth it. However, if I could get them graded for about half that price, it would probably be worth it. I would probably grade a couple of other sets as well. Are you listening, SGC?

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2000289 - 05/02/11 08:36 PM Re: ACTION !!!!!! [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
65bluebacks
journeyman

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

I think a $4.00 special would work well for all parties involved but there would need to be a minimum order (whatever that # works out to be) and a maximum value on the cards subbed (say a max of $10 for commons and no star cards) and all of the cards subbed must be from the same set.

I was pondering subbing my entire 1965 set and talked to Brian about it a couple of years ago but with 598 cards and $5 a card I was looking at $3,000 ... cough, cough. Not worth grading the $2 and $4 commons which comprise half the set.

If I could send in a sub of 100 commons from my 1965 set at $4.00 ... well, that would be enticing.

#2000290 - 05/03/11 04:39 AM Re: ACTION !!!!!! [Re: 65bluebacks]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Someone please explain to me why it should cost more to grade a vintage star than a vintage common.

As we say in the South, that dog won't hunt.

They're not grading the player on the front or the stats on the back of the card. They're supposed to be grading the merits of the card itself.

Now, I do understand why there should be a different cost to grade a vintage card than a modern card. The technology and paper stock are not the same.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2000292 - 05/03/11 10:39 AM Re: ACTION !!!!!! [Re: bbo]
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

To add to this conversation (with some excitement rather than debate) I wanted to let everyone know that the Forums Board AND Registry are 2 areas SGC is most concerned about and trying to develop more. I will share that I talked with one of the guys in charge of operations and this has always been an issue dear to me. The issues are well noted and will be an area you are going to see changes that hopefully will lead to more participation and involvement in all facets. Truthfully, the Forums Board and the Registry have been quiet or "stagnant" as stated for some time. However, nothing goes unnoticed by SGC and it is on the table to innovative changes. I can't say as far as what ideas will be implemented but it would not surprise me to see more recognition and prizes given out to set builders, registry specific specials and so on. As I said in my earlier post...there are some very exciting developments happening at SGC even as this post is being read and answered. I am going to be more actively involved with getting ideas implemented as well as taking a proactive position with the Forums Board as I have been in the past. I would like to see many things get better for all of the collectors here and the enjoyment from sharing this great and wonderful Hobby with each other.

BROOKS ROBINSON ~ One of the Greatest to Ever Play the Game!

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.