Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#2003297 - 09/21/11 05:32 PM Poppage with rant
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

These 13 cards (all upgrades to my Registry set) are among my second group of cards acquired at the National. I have a third group that won't be sent to Parsippany. There were 30 cards on this invoice, yielding a 43% upgrade ratio for my set. I routinely hit 65% or more. Quite frankly, this sucks donkey balls. I find it troubling to say the least that SGC is now seemingly in lockstep with the PSA model: tighten up the grading standards to "encourage" more of the crack and resubmit game. Some of the 86's you see below are better than 88's graded less than a year ago. The 88's posted here would be 92's a year ago. Nuxhall & Schmidt are slam-dunk 92s. Sievers is a screaming travesty. I have a #242-Samford in 96 that is not as nice as the Sievers! Banks was a crossover, undergraded PSA 8 that is the poster child for Eye Appeal. The surface, focus, color and clarity alone demands it be in a 92 holder.

Way to go, SGC. Your still-wet-behind-the-ears graders have succeeded in letting the air out of my hobby balloon. It's not worth the trouble to spend the time and money to attend The National, scouring the floor for commons worth subbing, then to have this bull excrement thrown back in my face. This confirms my decision of six weeks ago to refrain from posting on this board to save from wasting my time. Now, I'll take a sabbatical from sending in cards so you can't waste anymore of my money either.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2003298 - 09/21/11 05:43 PM Re: Poppage with rant [Re: bbo]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

bbo where in the world have you been bro?? I missed hearing from ya!!!

The cards look great to me but im still rather new at large submissions and am not shooting for a high grade set. Let me get this right. You already had the cards loaded in your set and bought raw for upgrades?? or is it that you cracked and re-submitted hoping for higher grades?
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2003300 - 09/21/11 06:24 PM Re: Poppage with rant [Re: Blackie]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

I think most of the grades look accurate. There may be one or two that could have got a 92 but I dont see the cards in hand or the card backs either. Are you shocked that the not so well centered didnt get higher grades? I for one am happy with tight grading standards. The tighter, the better. It's nice to know that if you buy a card, it has the best grade possible. Maybe your older ones are the ones graded less accurately? There are lots of ways you can look at grading standards. I just got a handful of 61s done that are absolute screamers but being objective, I know why they got sgc 88s and not higher.
#2003301 - 09/21/11 06:29 PM Re: Poppage with rant [Re: yankeeno7]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

I will also say this...
what if you buy an SGC graded card for your set or collection and when you get it in hand, it doesnt look as good or you dont like the grade the card got. You cant have it both ways. You cant deny that SGC is more consistent. And I have both SGC and PSA in my collection. Im not high and mighty on any one company. I will say though that if I find two similar cards, one in a psa holder and the other in an SGC holder, and by pic they look the same, I'll buy the SGC because I dont think I'll find something more wrong with it later.

#2003303 - 09/21/11 07:05 PM Re: Poppage with rant [Re: yankeeno7]
DrD
addict

Loc: Mizzourah, Northa KC

BBO,

I'll miss hearing about your '59 set - I really enjoy the looks of that year!

Hopefully we'll see you back after your haitus.

D

#2003305 - 09/21/11 08:16 PM Re: Poppage with rant [Re: bbo]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

More "junk" from the same invoice. 84 my azz.
These are all for sale at my raw cost, plus grading fee and shipping. Plus many more, same offer. Inquire if interested.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Worst two of the bunch, correct at 84; had to be slabbed to protect the corners, which are MINT 96. Too bad about the centering. The two 86 cards at the bottom deserved better.
Photobucket
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2003306 - 09/21/11 08:31 PM Re: Poppage with rant [Re: bbo]
DrD
addict

Loc: Mizzourah, Northa KC

Difficult to tell by scans, but there are some in there that I would agree deserve a better grade than they received.

#2003307 - 09/21/11 08:58 PM Re: Poppage with rant [Re: DrD]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Originally Posted By: DrD
Difficult to tell by scans, but there are some in there that I would agree deserve a better grade than they received.

I agree as well ive got 58 Sgc86's that are not as strong...
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2003308 - 09/21/11 09:49 PM Re: Poppage with rant [Re: Blackie]
SMtJoy
veteran

Sorry things didnt turn out for you. No expert but to me for the most part they look to be graded correctly and none that look big time undergraded.

Just looking at the Slaughter and Alveraz, the centering just seems too far off for any kind of upgrade, I think they got what they should have. While hard to tell just from scans but I really dont see any that to me look like solid 96's, sorry I just dont see it, maybe one or two could have made a 92 but then I think one or two could be bumped down.

#2003319 - 09/22/11 04:12 PM Re: Poppage with rant [Re: bbo]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

"I find it troubling to say the least that SGC is now seemingly in lockstep with the PSA model: tighten up the grading standards to "encourage" more of the crack and resubmit game."

Too bad you only upgarded 43% when you usually get 65%, but as far as PSA tighting up their grading standards...LOL, I don't see it.

The random under grade, yea, but overall, no way.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.