Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2005894 - 02/11/12 10:44 PM Close call with a White Whale
BigRedOne
old hand

So I haven't added a card to my 55 Topps All American set in quite some time. Out of the blue I make and offer on the biggest card I need for the set.

The guy cuts me a deal off ebay.

I say great! No problem.

Pay-Pal Sent (including my Mailing address)

Card doesn't show. I check the tracking #, says it was recieved at my post office Feb 6.

Feb 7 no card. Tracking said it was delivered.

I contact the seller.

He confirms the delivery and the address.

PROBLEM FOUND!!!

For whatever reason Pay-Pal keeps deferring back to my old address to a house I sold over a year ago!

Now I have to try and contact the girl I sold the house to in order to get the package!

No land phone.

Did they open it and deciede to keep it?

Did they just throw the package away?

Would she refuse to give up the package in spite of having an issue with the house she bought from me?

Feb. 9th
Im getting that package from her if its the last thing I do!

I go back to the house that I lived in for 15 years. I approach the door determined.

Ring the bell..... No reply
Ring the bell..... No Reply

Damn it! Press nose to window

Ring the Bell..... No reply

Damn it! She must be at work.

Find out where she works from my good friend neighbors there.

I leave a note on the door asking her to contact me.

I drive past her work (Medical doctors office),
I think about going in and politely asking, but not sure walking into her work place is the right thing to do.

I drive by a few more time before I abandon the ideal.

I return to her house with some tape to secure the note I left on the window where it could not be missed.

All the while bad thoughts are running through my mind on the confrontation I might have to go through with her or her "New" boyfriend.

Im going to get that package even If I have to kick "boyfriends" a**, Smack her out of the way and enter the house that my children were born and find that package, before the cops come!

So I secure the note to the front door.

I decide to go to the Post office to see what my options are. I m on a first name basis with all the postal workers there.

I go to the counter....

ME: "Hi Brent, I have a problem....."

PO: Hi John I got something for you.

Low and behold.... It was the package!

The girl had return it to the post office!

Imagine my relief!

I wasn't going to have to brawl it out in the gravel drive(I would have)

I wasn't going to have to break into the house.

I return to the house and remove the note I left and replace it with a Thank You note.

In todays crazy world I guess it's just human nature to think the worst in a case like this.

It never even entered my mind that she would do the right think and return it to the PO.

SOOO.... after all this the prize to be had?

John

Edited by BigRedOne (02/11/12 10:56 PM)

#2005896 - 02/12/12 06:23 AM Re: Close call with a White Whale [Re: BigRedOne]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

That's a pretty nice Hutson. Glad to see you're not a centering freak all the time (and that you are a bit off-centered yourself). I confess to similar lurid thoughts regarding "lost" or "misplaced" cards sometimes.

Regarding Hutson, I read this week that Paul "Bear" Bryant was heavily recruited out of an Arkansas high school to play end for Alabama, but ended up playing in the shadow of Hutson and never really fulfilling his dreams on the field. Guess Bear made up for it later.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2005898 - 02/12/12 11:36 AM Re: Close call with a White Whale [Re: bbo]
BigRedOne
old hand

Hey Mike,

When I started out on this set a few years ago my goal was nice centered EXMT 80's. Well you can see where that went. I really didn't want to wrap all my hobby funds up into the set. Yes Ive been a bit more tolerant with centering on the set but still need nice eye appeal.

The Four Horseman card was out of my cost range when I started and I made a trade deal with Mike Tavenner from the CU board for a decent mid range Horseman card. That has since been crossed to SGC holder.

Somehow I ended up with this card.

While not perfect on the centering was a heck of a lot nicer than most other NM one's I seen. In fact it has nicer centering than the SGC 88 I seen that was darn near a mis-cut.

Well, then out of the blue I made a VERY reasonable deal for this card.

Then somehow the goal of SGC 80's seemed to mysteriously have growen to NM cards.

I had this card at one time and was very happy with the centering. Unfortunately it wouldn't cross to the SGC 80 or better holder, so I sold it. Its now the biggest card I need for the set along with the Ernie Nevers.

Then Came this card

So Now its kind of a mixed set. With the cost of the higher grade cards I don't think I'll be trying to elevate the set any higher.

Im just past half the set with 53 cards. Until this Hutson card I don't believe I added a card to the set in over a year.

Ive noticed the price seem to be getting higher and higher even on the mid grade cards. One day I may even finish the set!

John

#2005899 - 02/12/12 11:41 AM Re: Close call with a White Whale [Re: BigRedOne]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Darn nice specimens. The Thorpe, Baugh and Luckman are "take your breathe away" screamers. Do you have a favorite?
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2005900 - 02/12/12 12:00 PM Re: Close call with a White Whale [Re: bbo]
DrD
addict

Loc: Mizzourah, Northa KC

I really like that set!

Good to hear you tracked down the problem that paypig caused you!

#2005902 - 02/12/12 12:52 PM Re: Close call with a White Whale [Re: DrD]
BigRedOne
old hand

two of my favorites are the Sammy Baugh and this one.

As for the Pay-Pal problem.

I have changed my address a few times in the account now and why it sometimes defaults back to that old address is beyond me.

I'll have to go back in and try to Permanately delete that address, which I thought I had already done.

In my emails with the seller I specifically included my mailing address. So I was kind of pissed when he told me he overlooked that and went with the different address listed by Pay-Pal.

I understand that the confirmed Pay-Pal address is your best option to cover yourself as to where the card gets shipped. But the guy should have contacted me before shipping once he noticed the two different addresses.

Had things turned out different my confrontation would have been with the seller, who kinda of blew me off and basically said good luck.

Had I not got the card it would have been his door I was at instead of my old house.

#2005903 - 02/12/12 01:29 PM Re: Close call with a White Whale [Re: BigRedOne]
oldschoolpackers

Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Beautiful 55 Topps All Americans! It's great to see some football on the boards!

#2005926 - 02/13/12 06:30 AM Re: Close call with a White Whale [Re: oldschoolpackers]
SMtJoy
veteran

Awesome cards!!!
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.