Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2004786 - 01/01/12 10:31 AM SGC - Looking Forward To An Exciting New Year In 2012!
EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! I'm excited to tell all of you that SGC has some great things planned for 2012. We are looking at improving our online services as well as the over all functionality of both the Registry and Forums Board, as well as our website itself. Also, we are looking into developing a deeper holder for the modern collector of thicker memorabilia such as game used & pre-certified autographed cards. One other item of interest to those of you (as well as myself) is the continuing work SGC is doing to develop an autograph registry. I hope to see this goal achieved in 2012. There are more things to come in this new year and I look forward to sharing them with all of the supporting cast of collectors here and everywhere in the Hobby. A special thanks to everyone for your overwhelming support and wishing all SGC collectors the most prosperous, healthy and happy new year ever!

Sincerest wishes to all on a prosperous 2012,

EARL
Collecting The SGC Way!

Edited by EARLSWORLD (01/01/12 10:31 AM)

BROOKS ROBINSON ~ One of the Greatest to Ever Play the Game!

#2004788 - 01/01/12 11:12 AM Re: SGC - Looking Forward To An Exciting New Year In 2012! [Re: EARLSWORLD]
Cardz4Me
addict

Loc: In Heaven I hope...

Happy New Year Earl...

Can't wait to see the new deep holders. Do you have an idea when SGC is going to have another JSA/SGC group sub? I have a bunch of cards & photos that I need authenticated.

#2004878 - 01/06/12 12:13 PM Re: SGC - Looking Forward To An Exciting New Year In 2012! [Re: Cardz4Me]
Scottish Punk

"Also, we are looking into developing a deeper holder for the modern collector of thicker memorabilia such as game used & pre-certified autographed cards. One other item of interest to those of you (as well as myself) is the continuing work SGC is doing to develop an autograph registry."

Any insight you give on these? I have about 300 graded cards, almost exclusively by Beckett. I went with them due the most protective holders, strong brand name, and they grade all of my collection.

I am increasingly frustrated with them and their utterly laughable website. Their registry has been down for over a year. I don't want to "support" that kind of business practice with more submissions. I also do not like the fact that the holder looks different via BVG and BGS.

I have a few concerns with SGC that haven't caused me to completely jump ship. First of all, even though the case isn't as durable as Beckett, the eye appeal is a lot better. My two concerns are with thicker cards including Bowman Gold cards. Are those too thick for SGC holders? How does SGC grade pack pulled autos? Any concerns with the autograph fading or rubbing against the holder? Lastly, I have read from multiple sites that SGC has been coming increasingly harsher with grades. Accuracy is supposed to be the strongest plus, I wouldn't want that to change. Most of older stuff is mid-grade 6-8 range, I wouldn't want to take the time and money and crossover and get blasted.

Thanks ahead of time for any insight. I do feel that this forum seems the most friendly and leans toward hobby side rather than high dollar/mine number is bigger than yours.

#2004880 - 01/06/12 12:49 PM Re: SGC - Looking Forward To An Exciting New Year In 2012! [Re: Scottish Punk]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

My guess is going from Beckett to SGC, you will "get blasted." May I suggest a "test sub" to get started. Pick 10-20 cards that you are reasonably sure of the grade, crack 'em and submit them raw. See how they do before sending in hundreds of cards.

I, too have noticed increasingly harsher grades from SGC. I've commented about that on this site since the National last summer. I used to submit a 20-25 card invoice every 2-3 months. I've only subbed 8 cards in the past five months. Currently, I've decided to NOT grade my mid-grade 1952 set. There are surely some EX and EX+ cards, but I'm not interested in having an overly harsh grader slab them in SGC 30 and 40 holders.

Plus, you may have to make a trip or two to the emergency room as a result of cracking cards out of Beckett slabs.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2004882 - 01/06/12 01:19 PM Re: SGC - Looking Forward To An Exciting New Year In 2012! [Re: bbo]
Cardz4Me
addict

Loc: In Heaven I hope...

Originally Posted By: Scottish Punk
My two concerns are with thicker cards including Bowman Gold cards. Are those too thick for SGC holders?

I have graded a few with no problems.

How does SGC grade pack pulled autos? Any concerns with the autograph fading or rubbing against the holder?

I have a bunch that were slabbed by SGC & haven't had a problem.

Lastly, I have read from multiple sites that SGC has been coming increasingly harsher with grades. Accuracy is supposed to be the strongest plus, I wouldn't want that to change. Most of older stuff is mid-grade 6-8 range, I wouldn't want to take the time and money and crossover and get blasted.

SGC seem to be more strict that the other grading company, but they are more accurate & consistent. I wouldn't go with any other third party graders. Their customer service is the best.

#2004915 - 01/07/12 03:40 PM Re: SGC - Looking Forward To An Exciting New Year In 2012! [Re: Cardz4Me]
SMtJoy
veteran

Welcome aboard, I agree a test sub is always best. I would also recommend calling Earl at SGC and have him go over any concerns you might have. You will find the customer service at SGC is far beyond any of the others.

I have crossed a ton of cards, most PSA but a few BVG and it can be rough but most times after looking hard at the card SGC got it right even if its a grade lower. I would rather have my cards graded right and consistent even if it means a lower grade here and there.

#2006972 - 03/21/12 08:03 PM Re: SGC - Looking Forward To An Exciting New Year In 2012! [Re: EARLSWORLD]
elove
Hobbyist

Loc: THE DARK SIDE

Hey Earl, any more news about the new stuff going on with SGC that you told us about?
#2006987 - 03/22/12 09:54 AM Re: SGC - Looking Forward To An Exciting New Year In 2012! [Re: elove]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

Originally Posted By: elove
Hey Earl, any more news about the new stuff going on with SGC that you told us about?

Yeah, Q1 is about wrapped up and not sure any of the above has been fully achieved. Not very exciting.

#2006995 - 03/22/12 01:28 PM Re: SGC - Looking Forward To An Exciting New Year In 2012! [Re: FYS]
SMtJoy
veteran

Yup sure would be nice to hear something!
#2017757 - 08/31/13 11:39 AM Re: SGC - Looking Forward To An Exciting New Year In 2012! [Re: SMtJoy]
Familytoad
stranger

Loc: Washington State

Q3 rounding down too...i love SGC holders, and have slabbed a lot of my collection. I know that many hundreds of other collectors love them too...There seems to be so much potential but the pace for changes/improvements seems a bit glacial.
Maybe even just a more frequent update from SGC leadership would boost confidence...

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 3 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.