Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2009340 - 07/11/12 01:44 PM How important of a card is the 62 Maris?
K-dog
veteran

For those of you that were alive back then, I'm guessing after the 61 season every kid that cared about baseball was trying to get that their hands on that card!? And...with it being card #1(that whole Pafko thing comes to mind), I tend to think that is a card that should be an important part of a baseball collection. I don't have one at the present time, but may start to consider it. Thoughts?
#2009342 - 07/11/12 01:49 PM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: K-dog]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

I would think the year Maris broke the HR record would be in more demand then the year after he broke the record.
#2009381 - 07/12/12 09:15 AM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: gaugman]
K-dog
veteran

Originally Posted By: gaugman
I would think the year Maris broke the HR record would be in more demand then the year after he broke the record.

True! I guess I just figured that it was the first of his cards to be released after he did it and that might stir up the interest.

#2009385 - 07/12/12 09:47 AM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: gaugman]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Originally Posted By: gaugman

I guess it's a matter of preference, but I've always thought just the opposite. If a player did something significant, I would want his card of the following year. That way it would have a picture of him from the year of which the feat was from.

In the case of Maris, the '61 Topps is a picture of him from the 1960 season. I would want the '62 Topps that shows a picture of him from the famous 1961 season.

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2009387 - 07/12/12 10:20 AM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Not to mention the back of the card that records his feats and stats to support it.

I'm afraid some of those Topps photos were from years and years before, often reused in subsequent years.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2009390 - 07/12/12 11:50 AM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: bbo]
trex
addict

I was 11-12 years old in 61, you can stop with the older than dirt comments anytime, and I don't remember any huge rush for the card, either in 61 or 62. But I grew up in the Midwest and the Cardinals were what most talked about around here. My neighbor, however was a huge Yankee fan, and even he wasn't too keen on the whole Maris thing. He liked Mantle, Ford, Berra, Skowron et al, but never had much to say about Maris. Both the 61 & 62 were easy to come by, I think I had multiples of both 61 and 62 back then.

There's a couple of things to keep in mind about all this and the mindset back in 61. #1 Maris was acquired in a trade, most of the other Yankees came up through the farm system and were gradually indoctrinated into the New York media, Maris was considered an outsider, to put it mildly. #2 Ruth's record was hallowed ground to the New York media. #3 Mantle was the child that could do no wrong. But even Mantle was scorned in 56 when he challenged Ruth's record, but came up short with 52. Another thing with Mantle, he replaced the beloved DiMaggio. So, Mantle received harsh treatment from the NY media for many years, he was from the midwest, like Maris, Mantle from Oklahoma and Maris from North Dakota, you know "hicks" to New York media. So, he replaced Diamggio, he was a "hick", he struck out a lot and was often injured. Eventually after Whitey Fird took him under his wing, so to speak, he gained the favor of the press, Whitey being a ntive of Queens, New York. Now spring forward to 1961, Mantle is the darling and Maris is the stepchild or "hick", outcast, and they both are chasing Ruth's record. So what does the media do, they invent a controversy between the two that never did exist. That didn't work, so now by mid-season it's obvious, barring injury, one or both have a good shot at the record. Now the asterisk comes in. In 1961 the AL expanded by two teams Los Angeles Angels & Washington Senators, who replaced the old Senators who moved to Minneapolis and became the Minnesota Twins. This increased the schedule to 162 games. Ruth set the record playing in 154 games. You can only imagine the glee when the media discovered this. They petitioned Ford Frick, then commissioner, and Frick made the ruling that for the record to stand it had to be accomplished in 154 games, otherwise an asterisk would be place beside the record, although it never was. To make a long story short, Mantle was injured late in the year and fell out of the race. Maris hit #59 in the 154th game and hit #61 in the last game of the season. The press made Maris' life a living h - - - for just about the entire season. At the end of the year he looked like he had been on a season long drunk and had never sobered up, the walking dead.

Now back to my origainal paragraph, the NY media beat this story down so bad that not many folks got excited about it. They tried to do the same thing with Aaron when he was chasing Ruth's career HR record. I know I never fully realized the historical significance of the feat until way later in life, along about the time McGwire and Sosa were having their run at Maris' record. Also, there wasn't 24/7 sports coverage back then, one game a week on b & w tv, nightly local sports and the newspaper. I could be wrong but I really don't think there ever was all that much demand for either the 61 or the 62 card until 1998, McGwire/Sosa.

Should it be an important part of an individual collection? That's strictly personal preference. It's what's important to the collector. To me it is important 1) because I witnessed "the chase" somewhat first hand and 2) I collect 1962's. Should you get the 61 or the 62 card, again personal preference, it's what's going to make you happy. I will say this though, once you get up into the 7 range of the two cards, the 62 card seems to get a lot more pricey than the 61 and that 62 card is really hard to find with nice centering, and if you do find one, be prepared to find your 401K, if you still have one left, a tad lower on your next statement. Another nice thing about the 62 set is Topps pretty much features Maris and Mantle as well as a 10 card tribute to Babe Ruth. Maris has the #1 card, AL Home Run Leaders with Mantle, Maris Blasts 61st IA, and AL & NL Homer Kings(Maris & Cepeda). Mantle has the #200 standard issue, Manager's Dream(Mantle & Mays), AL Home Run Leaders, The Switch Hitter Connects IA, and the Mantle All-Star card. Again though, it's a personal choice, no right or wrong. Nothing wrong with doing both either, I've always liked the 61 Maris myself, just don't happen to own one. The one I don't have and would really like to get my hands on is the 58 Maris rookie.

So there ya go, sorry I got so long winded, but you wanted to hear from someone who lived waaaay back then. Aren't you sorry you asked?

#2009391 - 07/12/12 12:06 PM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: trex]
K-dog
veteran

Not sorry at all!!! Lots of information that I never knew. Thanks! And by the way...I didn't say you were older than dirt...

you did!

#2009392 - 07/12/12 12:14 PM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: trex]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

I heard that people back then grew their own crops, drove buggies to town for "supplies" and took care of their personal business in a place called an outhouse. Is any of that true?
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2009393 - 07/12/12 12:35 PM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: trex]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Originally Posted By: trex
So what does the media do, they invent a controversy between the two that never did exist.

Sorry Jim, but I don't believe your story. Everyone knows the media would never make stuff up, especially in New York. They are fair and unbiased.

Actually, nice read. Thanks for sharing!

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2009394 - 07/12/12 12:59 PM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: bbo]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: bbo
I heard that people back then grew their own crops, drove buggies to town for "supplies" and took care of their personal business in a place called an outhouse. Is any of that true?

Yes on the first, no on the second, we did have a car, and yes on the third. True story.
We also milked cows, by hand, for our milk, raised hogs,cattle, and chickens for our meat and eggs drank water from a well, garden hose in the summer, swam in the same pond the cows drank from and did their business in, when we got a chance to play, we played outside...all day until supper was ready, got our butts literally blistered if we acted up...if dad wasn't home at the time we got it again when he did get home, and we couldn't sue. If we acted up in school, we got it there, and when we got home, because they would send little notices home with you and follow-up with a phone call, we did have a telephone...with a party line, not New Years Eve kind of party.

God help you if you ever got in trouble with the law. Our parents actually took their side. And you still couldn't sue.

How in the world did we ever survive?

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 1 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.