Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#2009395 - 07/12/12 01:05 PM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: vintagetoppsguy
 Originally Posted By: trex
So what does the media do, they invent a controversy between the two that never did exist.

Sorry Jim, but I don't believe your story. Everyone knows the media would never make stuff up, especially in New York. They are fair and unbiased.

Actually, nice read. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I was going to add a note as it relates to the media, "sound familiar, some things never change." But...I forgot until I had already posted it and didn't feel like editing it. Thanks for catching it, and thanks for the "nice read."

#2009396 - 07/12/12 01:13 PM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: trex]
trex
addict

BTW I still have a perma-frost ring around my rear from those early morning calls to nature in the winter to that "little house on the hill."

#2009397 - 07/12/12 01:15 PM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: trex]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

BTW I still have a perma-frost ring around my rear from those early morning calls to nature in the winter to that "little house on the hill."

So the outhouse was on a hill? Is that where they get the saying, "$hit rolls downhill"?

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2009398 - 07/12/12 01:38 PM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: vintagetoppsguy

So the outhouse was on a hill? Is that where they get the saying, "$hit rolls downhill"?

May well be, never though of it in that light, but you might have somethin' there. lol
All I know is, it was God awful cold. Then if it was snowing the snow would come through the cracks in the sides and roof of the thing while you were sittin' there trying to do your business all the time wondering how much hide you were going to leave behind when you finished. There wasn't even any newspapers or magazines to read. Truth be known that's probably why I have intestinal problems now, trying to "hold it in" till I could get to school. Halfway kidding on that one.

#2009400 - 07/12/12 06:24 PM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: trex]
cammb
old hand

Loc: Jamesport, NY

You are totally on the money. The big thing was the battle between Mantle and maris. If I recall there werent many fans at the last game for such a monumental event. The toll was enormous on Maris that he looked like he aged and lost some hair.
#2009402 - 07/12/12 06:40 PM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: trex]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

I was 11-12 years old in 61, you can stop with the older than dirt comments anytime, and I don't remember any huge rush for the card, either in 61 or 62. But I grew up in the Midwest and the Cardinals were what most talked about around here. My neighbor, however was a huge Yankee fan, and even he wasn't too keen on the whole Maris thing. He liked Mantle, Ford, Berra, Skowron et al, but never had much to say about Maris. Both the 61 & 62 were easy to come by, I think I had multiples of both 61 and 62 back then.

There's a couple of things to keep in mind about all this and the mindset back in 61. #1 Maris was acquired in a trade, most of the other Yankees came up through the farm system and were gradually indoctrinated into the New York media, Maris was considered an outsider, to put it mildly. #2 Ruth's record was hallowed ground to the New York media. #3 Mantle was the child that could do no wrong. But even Mantle was scorned in 56 when he challenged Ruth's record, but came up short with 52. Another thing with Mantle, he replaced the beloved DiMaggio. So, Mantle received harsh treatment from the NY media for many years, he was from the midwest, like Maris, Mantle from Oklahoma and Maris from North Dakota, you know "hicks" to New York media. So, he replaced Diamggio, he was a "hick", he struck out a lot and was often injured. Eventually after Whitey Fird took him under his wing, so to speak, he gained the favor of the press, Whitey being a ntive of Queens, New York. Now spring forward to 1961, Mantle is the darling and Maris is the stepchild or "hick", outcast, and they both are chasing Ruth's record. So what does the media do, they invent a controversy between the two that never did exist. That didn't work, so now by mid-season it's obvious, barring injury, one or both have a good shot at the record. Now the asterisk comes in. In 1961 the AL expanded by two teams Los Angeles Angels & Washington Senators, who replaced the old Senators who moved to Minneapolis and became the Minnesota Twins. This increased the schedule to 162 games. Ruth set the record playing in 154 games. You can only imagine the glee when the media discovered this. They petitioned Ford Frick, then commissioner, and Frick made the ruling that for the record to stand it had to be accomplished in 154 games, otherwise an asterisk would be place beside the record, although it never was. To make a long story short, Mantle was injured late in the year and fell out of the race. Maris hit #59 in the 154th game and hit #61 in the last game of the season. The press made Maris' life a living h - - - for just about the entire season. At the end of the year he looked like he had been on a season long drunk and had never sobered up, the walking dead.

Now back to my origainal paragraph, the NY media beat this story down so bad that not many folks got excited about it. They tried to do the same thing with Aaron when he was chasing Ruth's career HR record. I know I never fully realized the historical significance of the feat until way later in life, along about the time McGwire and Sosa were having their run at Maris' record. Also, there wasn't 24/7 sports coverage back then, one game a week on b & w tv, nightly local sports and the newspaper. I could be wrong but I really don't think there ever was all that much demand for either the 61 or the 62 card until 1998, McGwire/Sosa.

Should it be an important part of an individual collection? That's strictly personal preference. It's what's important to the collector. To me it is important 1) because I witnessed "the chase" somewhat first hand and 2) I collect 1962's. Should you get the 61 or the 62 card, again personal preference, it's what's going to make you happy. I will say this though, once you get up into the 7 range of the two cards, the 62 card seems to get a lot more pricey than the 61 and that 62 card is really hard to find with nice centering, and if you do find one, be prepared to find your 401K, if you still have one left, a tad lower on your next statement. Another nice thing about the 62 set is Topps pretty much features Maris and Mantle as well as a 10 card tribute to Babe Ruth. Maris has the #1 card, AL Home Run Leaders with Mantle, Maris Blasts 61st IA, and AL & NL Homer Kings(Maris & Cepeda). Mantle has the #200 standard issue, Manager's Dream(Mantle & Mays), AL Home Run Leaders, The Switch Hitter Connects IA, and the Mantle All-Star card. Again though, it's a personal choice, no right or wrong. Nothing wrong with doing both either, I've always liked the 61 Maris myself, just don't happen to own one. The one I don't have and would really like to get my hands on is the 58 Maris rookie.

So there ya go, sorry I got so long winded, but you wanted to hear from someone who lived waaaay back then. Aren't you sorry you asked?

Just read this and must say good stuff Jim! Dan is selling his 58 Maris rookie right now. LMK if you want it and i will try to talk him down on the price. Its only and SGC 40 but still presents well.
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2009406 - 07/12/12 07:12 PM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: Blackie]
trex
addict

Thanks Rob, but Dan probably needs all the money he can get, so don't try and talk him down and let him get the most he can for it. If I get to the point I want one bad enough, I'll find one. I probably overemphasized my wants for the 58. I've always thought it was a neat card. I ended up with two 59's somehow, but I always wanted that 58, just kinda as an afterthought. No big deal. I thought the 61 card was neat too, but I haven't owned one since my childhood.
Thanks for thanking of me.

#2009420 - 07/13/12 10:03 AM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: trex]
Mintacular
old hand

Loc: Pittsburgh

I would think the '61 card is more significant than the '62 since that is the year he set the record. The '62 is more sig only in that it is the #1 card in the set. Example, in '56 Don Larsen pitched a world series perfect game but noboby collects his '57 card to commemorate that event, and that's fact. And most people mention Mantle's triple crown with his '56 card the year he did it and do not collect his '57 for that reason

Edited by Mintacular (07/13/12 10:04 AM)

#2009421 - 07/13/12 10:51 AM Re: How important of a card is the 62 Maris? [Re: Mintacular]
Leon1945
enthusiast

I agree on Maris, Mint. Look at the 1955 Brooklyn Dodger cards. Everybody wants the 55's and not the 56's, especially Podres.

Another good example is the 1966 #1 Mays, similar to the Maris

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 3 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.