Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#2009490 - 07/19/12 08:08 AM Re: Okay, Here's The Big Reason I Switched To The SGC Board [Re: cammb]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

I think there are a couple of issues here.

1.) Mike, the guy whose wife passed away didn't start that thread. His buddy Corvette did. I don't know Mike, but I feel sorry for him and everything that has happened to him. It must be tough to be that young and have something like that happen to you and to be left with the responsibility of raising your kids all by yourself. Now, that said, I think he had a moral obligation to speak up when donations were being collected for him. He didn't. When we hear of most young people losing a spouse and left with the respopnsibility of raising their kids by themselves, we feel sorry for them and want to help. He never spoke up and said that he was well off financially and I think he was wrong for that. Heck, one guy donated $1000. No, he didn't ask for the donations, somebody else started that on his behalf, but he did have the obligation to speak up and let everybody know of his fianancial situation. He didn't do that.

The situation reminds me of the CU member that everybody thought had passed away. The CU members took up a collection for his wife and it was a nice gesture. I'm not sure why the CU members thought he had passed away, I don't think he intnetionally tried to mislead anybody into donating money and technically he didn't do anything wrong. It's not like he faked his own death. However, once he realized what was going on he did have an obligation to speak up, but he hid and let everybody think he was dead and was willing to accept the donation.

Likewise, Mike should have spoken up and informed the CU members of his financial situation and then if anybody felt compelled to donate, then that was their business. He kept that to himself. I don't think he is a bad guy. I like reading his posts and think he's probably one of the few good guys over there with any sense.

2.) All that said, let's get back to the thread in question. I don't think there is anything wrong with OT threads. People can choose to read them or not. However, that particuar thread is a bit ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with Corvette sharing the fact that he went to Vegas. That's a pretty cool experience. I went there for Superbowl Weekend last year. Heck, I even started my own thread about it on this message board. Where he went wrong was talking about the monetary portion of it. I never mentioned where I stayed, how much I spent or any of that.

Corvette wants attention. Just look at how many "He, look at me" threads has he started. Again , I don't fault him for starting the Vegas thread. I've done the same. But it's about how you do it and what you say. Mine was an attempt to share my experience with the board. His was an attempt the showboat about where he stayed and the money he spent. There is a difference. It's not about what you do, it's about how you do it.

Edited by vintagetoppsguy (07/19/12 08:24 AM)

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2009499 - 07/19/12 12:43 PM Re: Okay, Here's The Big Reason I Switched To The SGC Board [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
SMtJoy
veteran

David I agree totally. I feel bad for Mike for what he is going thou, I dont wish that upon anyone. He seems like a good guy but accepting money from people without at least some mention of your financial situation is a bit misleading. All he had to say was Thanks for the donation but I am in a good financial position so please accept a return of your money, this is my chosen charity or it was my wife's favorite. End of story

On Corvette, I agree, first thing I said was why the hell is he bragging about all the money spent, ouch. That should have remained private, he must not realize how many people are out of work and could live many months off that bar tab. Just poor taste and it made Mike look bad in the process.

Edited by SMtJoy (07/19/12 12:55 PM)

#2009503 - 07/19/12 02:03 PM Re: Okay, Here's The Big Reason I Switched To The SGC Board [Re: SMtJoy]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

I don't know anyone on the CU boards and the only time I read a post from there is when someone on here puts up a link.

With that said, I don't see the big deal with what Corvette wrote. He and his friend went to Vegas. His friend, who's a high roller, went on a great run, was comped, and Corvette went along for the ride. For a short period of time he lived the life that only the players on the cards he collects lives.

I don't know Corvette's history, but it seems he just wanted to share it with his friends on the board.

Wish I could have been there!

#2009510 - 07/19/12 08:28 PM Re: Okay, Here's The Big Reason I Switched To The SGC Board [Re: gaugman]
yankeeno7
enthusiast

For God's sake, the guy lost his wife. He spouted about meeting face to face, probably due to frustration, grief, etc. Most of us probably cant imagine how he feels. For anyone to think meeting him face to face without good intentions just isnt cool. It wasnt even him who started the thread or showed any pictures. He didnt brag or wasnt showing off. Crap like this is why there is no hope for the human race.

Edited by yankeeno7 (07/19/12 08:29 PM)

#2009512 - 07/20/12 04:55 AM Re: Okay, Here's The Big Reason I Switched To The SGC Board [Re: yankeeno7]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Actually there is hope for the human race. John 3:16
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2009515 - 07/20/12 08:28 AM Re: Okay, Here's The Big Reason I Switched To The SGC Board [Re: trex]
Leon1945
enthusiast

Well said Trex

#2009516 - 07/20/12 08:31 AM Re: Okay, Here's The Big Reason I Switched To The SGC Board [Re: bbo]
purduepete
enthusiast

Loc: USA

I don't have an issue with that Mike guy; I know he lost his wife a while ago, and he can cope with his loss however he chooses.

My problem is with Tommy and all of his d-baggy threads he starts, like this Vegas weekend blowout and the one where he was bragging about cheating on his wife with a co-worker.

My White Sox prewar set

#2009517 - 07/20/12 08:44 AM Re: Okay, Here's The Big Reason I Switched To The SGC Board [Re: purduepete]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Originally Posted By: purduepete
My problem is with Tommy and all of his d-baggy threads he starts, like this Vegas weekend blowout and the one where he was bragging about cheating on his wife with a co-worker.

Agreed. From what I remember though, that one came back to bite him in the butt.

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.