Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2009763 - 08/01/12 12:44 PM OT: I am in the wrong business
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

I am moving this weekend about 35 minutes from my current residence. For about a week, I've been taking over boxes to the new house in my car, about 5-6 boxes at a time. My goal is to have all the small stuff moved over by this Saturday and Saturday morning I have a couple of friends coming over to move the larger stuff - bedroom set, sofa and love seat, dining table, washer and dryer, etc. Hopefully with all the small stuff already gone, we can finish up on Saturday in just a 3-4 hours.

Anyway, I have a large gun safe that weighs a lot and requires special equipment to move. I had to hire a safe moving company to move that and they came out this morning. They showed up right at 8:00, loaded the safe, followed me to my new residence and dropped it off. The entire process took about an hour and fourty five minutes. The cost for moving a safe? $300! For less than 2 hours work! Ouch! And he said that he moves 10-15 safes a week. You do the math. I'm in the wrong business.

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2009766 - 08/01/12 04:48 PM Re: OT: I am in the wrong business [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
cammb
old hand

Loc: Jamesport, NY

What do you think was a good price?
#2009767 - 08/01/12 06:27 PM Re: OT: I am in the wrong business [Re: cammb]
brick
addict

Loc: Central Ohio

I charge $50 for free estimates.

#2009768 - 08/01/12 07:21 PM Re: OT: I am in the wrong business [Re: cammb]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Originally Posted By: cammb
What do you think was a good price?

I wasn't really complaining about the price although I do think it was a bit much. I did call other companies and they all wanted the same amount, so I guess it's about right. I'm just saying that guy is making some big money with a huge profit margin. He had a pick-up truck, flatbed trailer, pallet jack and hydraulic dolly. After purchasing the equipment (which couldn't be a lot of money), there is only minimal operating costs. It probably cost him less than $10 for gas. So he's making $3K to $4500 a week and probably only spending $100-$150 week in gas. Where else can you make that kind of money and have a 3% operating cost? That's why I said I was i the wrong business. I need a gig like that.

BUYING Well Centered:

#2009771 - 08/01/12 07:37 PM Re: OT: I am in the wrong business [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
SMtJoy
veteran

Funny you should post this. I just upgraded my safe and on the new one (weights 950 lbs) they wanted the same $300 to install it (move it from the garage into the closet where I wanted it). I decided to just get two buddies over to help, it was harder than we expected but with the help of two dollys we got the job done just fine and took just over an hour. Will take my buddies out for a nice steak dinner to thank them and I'm a happy camper.

Here are pics of the old safe and now the new one-

Old Safe-

New Safe-

#2009772 - 08/02/12 05:36 AM Re: OT: I am in the wrong business [Re: SMtJoy]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Very nice, Scott!

BUYING Well Centered:

#2009773 - 08/02/12 09:55 AM Re: OT: I am in the wrong business [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
cammb
old hand

I am really surprised at your attitude and complaint about a small business and their operating costs. You could have shopped around for a better price. Instead you are acting like a demoncrat. Shame on you.
#2009774 - 08/02/12 10:21 AM Re: OT: I am in the wrong business [Re: cammb]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

I am really surprised at your attitude and complaint about a small business and their operating costs. You could have shopped around for a better price. Instead you are acting like a demoncrat. Shame on you.

Seriously? Then you missed the point of this thread. I wasn't complaining about the price. As I already stated, I did think it was a bit much and I did shop around, but that's apparently the going rate. Even Scott confirmed it. So be it, I paid it.

I have no problem with any company making a profit and a decent one at that. My point was that there are many other opportunities out there to make a great living with minimal operating costs. The thread wasn't started to complain about a the price, it was started to show that there are many ways to have your own small business and make good money - hence the topic of this thread, "I am in the wrong business." It just got me to thinking about maybe it's time to pursue other opportunities. Heck, I could do what he does and make $3-$4500 a week too. It's not that hard. That's all I was saying.

BUYING Well Centered:

#2009775 - 08/02/12 10:29 AM Re: OT: I am in the wrong business [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
K-dog
veteran

I think a lot of us are in the wrong line of work David! Working harder, not smarter instead of the other way around sometimes I think!
#2009782 - 08/02/12 06:43 PM Re: OT: I am in the wrong business [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
cammb
old hand

I think there is a little bt more than 3% operating costs such as truck insurance, maybe truck payments, liability insurance, cost of helper(s). Maybe he pays for their health insurance, unemployment insurance etc. Maybe there are weeks when he moves only one or two. Too many variables to consider. The grass always looks greener until you get close up.
#2009785 - 08/02/12 07:07 PM Re: OT: I am in the wrong business [Re: cammb]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

I think there is a little bt more than 3% operating costs such as truck insurance, maybe truck payments, liability insurance, cost of helper(s). Maybe he pays for their health insurance, unemployment insurance etc. Maybe there are weeks when he moves only one or two. Too many variables to consider. The grass always looks greener until you get close up.

Yeah, you're right. I considered some of those things after I posted. I don't think you can factor in the truck payments and insurance though because he would probably own those either way. But I bet the liability insurance is probably expensive. He said it was just him and a partner so there really wasn't any additional employees. You also have to figure he's probably paying his own health insurance and (should be) putting some money back for retirement. He did say that he didn't have any slow periods though. In fact, (and not to get political), he said that his business has been very busy since Obama took office. Then again, things might slow down for him come November. Let's hope so

But he said he does other stuff too. Safe repair, lock outs, re-keys, etc.

BUYING Well Centered:

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 10 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.