Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2010622 - 09/05/12 02:18 PM What would you change about SGC?
brewing
journeyman

Loc: Georgia

33rd's post about the perception of SGC is my inspiration for this thread.

While I love the quality and consistency of SGC grading and the speed of their service, I feel there are things that can be improved.

I can't ever see it happening, but I wish the holders where smaller. That way I could fit more holders in a box, which would result in less boxes.

Speaking of holders, fix the frosting on the edge. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough. It can give the impression that the case has been tampered with.

Improve the black background for T series cards. It seems mine all come back with the cards crooked. I have to tap the edge to center the card, but if the holder gets knocked the card can get off-center again. Maybe thicker plastic will work.

Would like to see the 1-100 scale dropped. Especially now that the 1-10 scale numbers are on the flip. Sometimes it's better to conform to the industry and I feel this is one of those instances.

#2010628 - 09/05/12 07:01 PM Re: What would you change about SGC? [Re: brewing]
SMtJoy
veteran

Hey brew good topic and lets keep it constructive.

"I can't ever see it happening, but I wish the holders where smaller. That way I could fit more holders in a box, which would result in less boxes."

Santa might just be listing, I know SGC switched companies who make their slabs for various reason but one of their main reasons was to look into a smaller standard slab, its also why they now have the deeper slabs, I bet we will see more new stuff in this area.

I think SGC already excels at grading and customer service, what I would like to see more attention to is marketing of brand, registry, forums, internet, facebook, etc. I miss the registry awards Brian was doing and wish they would bring those back. I always though they should be more involved on the forums (like a post about direction and goals for the upcoming year from SGC, it would also be cool if there was like a monthly ask the graders post where we email questions and once a month they pick a few to answer on the boards or even a tell us what they look for in a grade and things that will take a card down a grade at each level). As I mentioned on another thread I know the wheels are moving on some big changes on the registry and pop reports and cant wait for those.

#2010629 - 09/05/12 07:03 PM Re: What would you change about SGC? [Re: brewing]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

I think that SGC's holder is what seperates them from the pack as far as other grading companies. I have cards I want in there holder simply because they LOOK better. Thats why I sent them cards over ten years ago in the first place. I wanted to try them out and I liked the all black holders and inserts. If they shrunk the holders now my collection would look all kinds of funny and theyd probably piss of alot of loyal customer's. That being said a smaller holder that looks the same would have been nice to save space.

I'd like them to bite the bullet and have an extended special on commons from any era, any year. This might help the average collector get common cards into there holders. It's hard to build sets with SGC due to the lack of cards in there holders. Like other's on the board I have to crack or try to croosover cards alot or just take twice as long to assemble a set and deal with it. As an example....I spent two days walking the floor looking for two cards at the National. An SGC 84 Clemente and Banks rookie. I couldnt even find a good seven in PSA for either. I lucked out and found the SGC 84 Banks, it was nice and I got it. I am pretty sure I am going to have to find a nice PSA 7 and try to cross if I want that Clemente. I could find any common I wanted in PSA holders hardly any SGC at all only stars.

I dont think dropping the 100 scale would irk to many of us, not sure? That would make a good thread to. I rarely use the 100 point scale when I talk SGC anyway, I just say, EX,EXMT, etc etc.

#2010630 - 09/05/12 07:07 PM Re: What would you change about SGC? [Re: 33rdStreet]
SMtJoy
veteran

I also heard that cards floating in the slab is another reason for switching slab makers and is one of the things they are working to correct with the new company.
#2010631 - 09/05/12 07:10 PM Re: What would you change about SGC? [Re: 33rdStreet]
33rdStreet
addict

SMtJoy,

great ideas. You dont think a smaller holder now would iritate some of SGC's bigger customer's? Think it would only cause this kind of comment " Well thats in an old SGC holder....those dont sell!" I've experienced that already with a few of SGC's early holder's.

#2010632 - 09/05/12 07:39 PM Re: What would you change about SGC? [Re: 33rdStreet]
SMtJoy
veteran

From what I heard they look the same but its thinner (so more will fit in a box/etc) and held the cards better, I think any improvement like this is worth it even if it makes the older ones look more bulky.

Edited by SMtJoy (09/05/12 07:40 PM)

#2010633 - 09/05/12 07:41 PM Re: What would you change about SGC? [Re: SMtJoy]
33rdStreet
addict

If thats the case I hope they do a re-holder special!
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.