Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#2010835 - 09/13/12 06:34 PM Re: Legitimate auction or no? [Re: cammb]
trex
addict

Maybe, but I personally don't see a problem with striving for perfection on a raw card and teaching a child what makes a perfect card as long as the parent teaches the child the history behind the card.

The problem I have is with putting a number on a piece of plastic that may or may not be a true representation of the actual condition of the card and teaching the child the higher the number the more money you can make on the card, a lot of times misrepresenting the actual card.

I think they're are still true collectors who collect for pure enjoyment, I being one. That being said I still strive for the best condition card I can get for the money irregardless of some TPG's number on a case.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with collecting no matter the condition, just as there is nothing wrong with striving for perfection in cards. This is what made the hobby so great. The problem is with putting a number on a piece of plastic along with a dollar amount and teaching the child this is all that matters. IMHO.

#2010840 - 09/13/12 06:59 PM Re: Legitimate auction or no? [Re: trex]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

Trex,

Alot of the parents don't know the history behind the card either! Part of the problem but I couldn't agree with you more.

#2010842 - 09/13/12 07:09 PM Re: Legitimate auction or no? [Re: 33rdStreet]
trex
addict

33rdstreet,

I think that is what I was trying to say in one succinct sentence. They don't know, all they know is ROI. Nothing really wrong with that if that's the only reason they're in the hobby. To me though it's a shame because that's all the child is going to know.

#2010843 - 09/13/12 07:09 PM Re: Legitimate auction or no? [Re: 33rdStreet]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

It's a function of capitalism. We measure worth by balance sheets, job title and income (and the acoutrements thereof). There are cheaters in all endeavors. It's part of the process.

Grades on slabs are professional opinions. Some pros are better than others. Some things we can do ourselves, some things are better left to others. To each his own. Live and learn. What goes around comes around.

You get the idea. Personally, I'll take capitalism with all it's flaws and diversify my assets and my hobbies.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2010846 - 09/13/12 07:30 PM Re: Legitimate auction or no? [Re: bbo]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

I realize that grading is here to stay and I'll be the first to admit I Do all I can to get the best cards possible. I do think grading has taken the basic principle behind the hobby and drastically altered it. For me it's a connection to my past, a part of the history of a sport that's been a part of my life in many ways. Rummaging thru pack after pack as a kid or listening to my father telling me the story of sneaking into memorial stadium for the 58 all star game for the 100th time!
Without the history of the sports they represent the cards might as well be worthless. So when someone I'm buying from doesn't know what Spahn and sain and pray for rain comes from I generally look for another place to buy from. I'm sure alot of collectors might think that weird but I kind of expect a little chit chat about the hobby when I lay 1400 down for a 54 banks!

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.