Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#2010956 - 09/15/12 05:53 AM Re: Guess the grade [Re: bbo]
cammb
old hand

Loc: Jamesport, NY

Isnt that he name of Univ Maryland team, the Turpitudes?
#2010957 - 09/15/12 06:35 AM Re: Guess the grade [Re: bbo]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

This is a perfect example of why grading is subjective. I'd say everyone that posts on here has a good eye and for the most part has been collecting for years. We have grades being guessed ranging between 6 and 8. That's a five grade window. I can't remember who posted it but I would love to see the graders at SGC or PSA come out and let us know EXACTLY what constitutes a certain grade. There has to be a strict guideline they are told to follow regarding certain imperfections. I know they have grading standards posted but there a little vague IMO.
#2010958 - 09/15/12 06:36 AM Re: Guess the grade [Re: bbo]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: bbo
I didn't look it up either. I just like saying it. Based on the definition, I owe you an apology. I apologize. I guess I should have said you LACK moral turpitude. [But that sounds worse, so I better shut up.]

As for Sunday night comments, sure, have at it. It would be the turpitudinal thing to do.

People get sued for making baseless allegations, especially when they start tossing around damaging words and phrases they don't know the meaning of. A dictionary and/or thesaurus are both relatively cheap or you can pull up both on-line for free. When compared to attorney fees for defending such over-the-top allegations, one would think this would be cheap insurance.

That being said, apology accepted. I know you had to have choked getting that out. I did, and now I have recycled coffee all over my keyboard.

I look forward to making comments Sunday evening as it would be the un-turpitudinal thing to do.

#2010959 - 09/15/12 07:03 AM Re: Guess the grade [Re: trex]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Edited by bbo (09/16/12 04:40 AM)
Edit Reason: Keep on track
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2010960 - 09/15/12 07:17 AM Re: Guess the grade [Re: bbo]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: bbo
Wouldn't you have to prove you were damaged? Loss of income, stature in community, etc? Message board banter might be tough to collect on. Especially in a community this small.

In the lawsuit happy world we live in today? Surely you can't be serious. Didn't someone sue McDonald's because the customer was clumsy and spilled coffee on their self? Well, I could say your damaging comments caused me to regurgitate coffee on my keyboard, frying the thing, and I had to go out in the rain, further endangering myself, to purchase a new keyboard. Oh, and I slipped on on my wet porch going out, and now have a slipped disc requiring a neck brace until I can seek medical attention.

All because of a reckless, irresponsible allegation.

Forgot one other thing, being a senior citizen, I'm in a protected class also.

Edited by trex (09/15/12 07:19 AM)

#2010961 - 09/15/12 07:28 AM Re: Guess the grade [Re: trex]
bbo
The Collectinator

Edited by bbo (09/16/12 04:41 AM)
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2010962 - 09/15/12 07:40 AM Re: Guess the grade [Re: trex]
bbo
The Collectinator

Edited by bbo (09/16/12 04:41 AM)

#2010963 - 09/15/12 07:49 AM Re: Guess the grade [Re: bbo]
trex
addict

Touche.

#2010964 - 09/15/12 09:30 AM Re: Guess the grade [Re: 33rdStreet]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: 33rdStreet
This is a perfect example of why grading is subjective. I'd say everyone that posts on here has a good eye and for the most part has been collecting for years. We have grades being guessed ranging between 6 and 8. That's a five grade window. I can't remember who posted it but I would love to see the graders at SGC or PSA come out and let us know EXACTLY what constitutes a certain grade. There has to be a strict guideline they are told to follow regarding certain imperfections. I know they have grading standards posted but there a little vague IMO.

I think a good part of grading is subjective, however two items are not, size of the card and centering. These two items are measurable and should be and I can see no excuse whatsoever for ever getting these two wrong, other than laziness, incompetence, lack of quality control, etc., etc. I can accept no reason why an undersized card ever gets into a slab...period.

Surface issues, imperfect edges, corner issues, print defects to me anyway is where the subjectivity comes in. Now you're dealing in degrees of issues with the card and virtually everyone is going to see it differently. There are standards for creases, should no higher than VG/EX, for the slightest of crease, no higher than VG for a heavier crease. Wrinkles, even the slightest should be no higher then EX, I would say no higher than VG/EX. Rough cut edges edge issues in general, and print defects bother me a lot but both SGC and PSA don't seem to pay that much attention to either. So, what would be bothersome to me, wouldn't be to others. I would imagine graders are the same way. I would think corner issues are highly contentious. While it looks bad to me, how do you put degrees on it and adjust the overall grade of the card accordingly? I've had cards that I thought had pretty decent corners for the grade, until I go them under the loupe, then I'm saying how in the world did this card get graded so high with these corners. But then again, I'm hard on corners. Others probably not so much. Surface gloss, lack thereof to me should be a real eye-catcher, along with register, but PSA doesn't seem to put a whole lot of importance in these two issues. These issues people are going to see differently, thus subjectivity.

That's just my humble opinion, no more, no less and some will agree, some will disagree...subjectivity.

#2010974 - 09/15/12 04:35 PM Re: Guess the grade [Re: trex]
SMtJoy
veteran

Here is one I remembered that I saved a scan just cause I felt is was over the top. I just could not really get how this could get a 5 even with the qualifier-

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 12 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.