Page 2 of 17 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2011227 - 09/25/12 02:09 PM Re: GB vs. Seattle: Did the refs get it right? [Re: cammb]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

If SGC ever decides to make me the Moderator of this board, I will change it to "The Commish." Meanwhile in the weather forecast, there is no chance of hell freezing over any time soon.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2011228 - 09/25/12 02:17 PM Re: GB vs. Seattle: Did the refs get it right? [Re: bbo]
bbo
The Collectinator

Which reminds me of a joke.

Boudreaux died several years ago and went straight to hell. Satan put him in one of the hottest corners he had since Boudreaux was not a very nice person whilst living on earth.

A few days passed and Satan went to check on old Boudreaux. He was smiling and having a good time, so Satan turned up the heat.

A few days later, Lucifer checked on him again. Boudreaux was fanning himself, but still smiling. The Evil Angel asked him why the heat didn't bother him. Boudreaux replied, "Naw, 'tis nothin' here compared to August in Morgan City. In fact, I like it jus' fine."

Satan could have none of that, so he turned off all the heat and sent the chill winds and a blizzard Boudreaux's way.

After a few days of that, he checked on him once again. Boudreaux was shivering fo' sho', but still smiling, as well as laughing and dancing, singing southern gospel songs.

"What gives?," Satan asked. "It's freezing in here and you're happier than ever."

Boudreaux replied, "Dat's OK. Da way I figure it, dem Saints must've done won da Super Bowl."
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2011229 - 09/25/12 02:25 PM Re: GB vs. Seattle: Did the refs get it right? [Re: bbo]
bbo
The Collectinator

I had a chance to speak to a group of Southern rednecks the other day about the upcoming election. I was trying to prepare them for the worst possible outcome. I remarked that the South had been on the losing side of both of the truly seminal events in the history of our country, losing the Civil War and coming out on the short end of the Civil Rights movement in the 1960's.

One particularly crusty old guy got up from his seat, flipped me off and told me I didn't know what I was talking about as he stormed out of the room.

I apologized to the group for striking such a negative chord with the old man. I told them I never thought he'd still hold a grudge since it's been nearly 50 years since the political mess of the 60's. The fellow who asked me to speak said, "No that's not it. He's still mad about the war."

#2011243 - 09/25/12 03:31 PM Re: GB vs. Seattle: Did the refs get it right? [Re: bbo]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Originally Posted By: bbo
I had a chance to speak to a group of Southern rednecks the other day about the upcoming election. I was trying to prepare them for the worst possible outcome. I remarked that the South had been on the losing side of both of the truly seminal events in the history of our country, losing the Civil War and coming out on the short end of the Civil Rights movement in the 1960's.

One particularly crusty old guy got up from his seat, flipped me off and told me I didn't know what I was talking about as he stormed out of the room.

I apologized to the group for striking such a negative chord with the old man. I told them I never thought he'd still hold a grudge since it's been nearly 50 years since the political mess of the 60's. The fellow who asked me to speak said, "No that's not it. He's still mad about the war."

Ok, no more Brick jokes

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2011253 - 09/25/12 04:37 PM Re: GB vs. Seattle: Did the refs get it right? [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
bbo
The Collectinator

Brick is no redneck. He's from Ohio.

#2011259 - 09/25/12 05:41 PM Re: GB vs. Seattle: Did the refs get it right? [Re: bbo]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

The refs got it wrong.

In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone. Everything except for penalties is now reviewable when the play results in a touchdown.

The two announcers and the so called expert ex ref were mistaken when they said during the game that a simultaneous catch was NOT reviewable in the end zone.

#2011260 - 09/25/12 07:42 PM Re: GB vs. Seattle: Did the refs get it right? [Re: gaugman]
bbo
The Collectinator

It was not a simultaneous catch. Defender caught it first and Seattle receiver got one hand on it on the way to the turf, then the other hand on it while on the ground. Not a simultaneous catch, it's not reviewable.

Refs got it wrong under either circumstance. Review booth got it right by not overturning it.

Rules. Know that you know them. Then post.

#2011272 - 09/26/12 04:53 AM Re: GB vs. Seattle: Did the refs get it right? [Re: bbo]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

The ruling on the field was a simultaneous catch which is why it was ruled a touchdown.

If it had not been ruled a simultaneous catch than it would have been an interception.

Had it been ruled a catch first by the defense and than the “Seattle receiver got one hand on it on the way to the turf then the other hand on it on the way to the ground’, it would have been ruled an interception and a touchback which one ref did signal, but the refs never huddled for conference.

Rule 8 - Section 3 - Article 1 - Item 5: Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

Before this year a Simutaneous Catch was NOT reviewable on touchdowns. This year in is reviewable.

The Refs on the field got the call wrong and the booth review should have overturned it . IMHO

In case I wasn't clear. I DO NOT THINK IT WAS A SIMULTANEOUS CATCH and the call on the field was wrong.

Edited by gaugman (09/26/12 05:11 AM)

#2011275 - 09/26/12 05:51 AM Re: GB vs. Seattle: Did the refs get it right? [Re: gaugman]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

I believe gaugman got it right. I agree that it was a simultaneous catch. Either way, it WAS a reviewable call because ALL scores are atomatically reviewed by the booth this year - even if it hadn't been a controversy it would have been reviewed.

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2011278 - 09/26/12 06:17 AM Re: GB vs. Seattle: Did the refs get it right? [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
bbo
The Collectinator

Watch the video. It was NOT a simultaneous catch. Clearly the GB defender outjumped all other players and caught the ball with both hands. On the way down, the SEA receiver got one hand up under the ball. The SEA receiver didn't get his other hand on the ball until they were on the ground. The on-field officials got it wrong despite what the League Office says.

The local news station last night interviewed one of the striking officials who walked through an example of a simultaneous catch and said he would have called it an interception/touchback.

Penalties are NOT reviewable. So the call couldn't have been overturned on that.

Regardless, this is Obama's America. Everyone given a fair chance at equal outcomes. The replacement refs are the 99% and the striking refs are the 1%. Leave the replacement refs alone. They also should be given a mortgage that they can't afford. It's only fair.

Page 2 of 17 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.