Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#2011298 - 09/26/12 10:35 AM Re: List of things SGC could do in becoming the BEST GC! [Re: 33rdStreet]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Do like the raw card review Daryl.....good stuff. I used Beckett back in the day when they had the Beckett Raw Card Review and it worked out ok. If they can attach cert numbers to the review as mentioned then it can easily be added into a registry. Damn good idea brother!
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2011299 - 09/26/12 10:43 AM Re: List of things SGC could do in becoming the BEST GC! [Re: 33rdStreet]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Originally Posted By: 33rdStreet
Here's an idea as it may appeal to some of the members here. What about a RAW SET review. Send the set to SGC they review the set, give it an over all grade without encapsulating the cards, give the set a name and place on the registry.

Kinda outta left field with that idea but there are plenty of die hard non graders in the hobby.

Actually you're not out in left field on that idea. I've thought the same thing myself. However, they would have to find some way to encapsulate the set as a whole. For example, if it were a '71 Topps set it would go into an 800 count box and then the box would be encapsulated (kind of like GAI does/did with vending boxes). Encapsulation would keep people from swapping out cards if the set were sold.

It would take some thought, but it could definitely be done.

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2011300 - 09/26/12 10:52 AM Re: List of things SGC could do in becoming the BEST GC! [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

I was thinking about the issue of swapping out cards while writing the post to. The only problem I see with boxing the set up is that the purpose of keeping it raw for most collectors is to simply enjoy the cards as they are. If you box them then you cant view them. That would be a great topic in itself.....Maybe they could just develop a sticker that covers the card saver with a set name and identifying number labeled on it. This way a collector could view and store the set however he likes. If he choses to break the set up or take the card out of the card saver I dont really see how thats differnt from cracking it out of a case. Just another thought
#2011301 - 09/26/12 10:54 AM Re: List of things SGC could do in becoming the BEST GC! [Re: 33rdStreet]
oneofthree67
old hand

Loc: CT

Maybe SGC can register your ungraded cards or sets (with a sticker with contains an A = authentic and serialized number on the card saver).

#2011303 - 09/26/12 11:09 AM Re: List of things SGC could do in becoming the BEST GC! [Re: 33rdStreet]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

I was thinking about the issue of swapping out cards while writing the post to. The only problem I see with boxing the set up is that the purpose of keeping it raw for most collectors is to simply enjoy the cards as they are. If you box them then you cant view them. That would be a great topic in itself.....Maybe they could just develop a sticker that covers the card saver with a set name and identifying number labeled on it. This way a collector could view and store the set however he likes. If he choses to break the set up or take the card out of the card saver I dont really see how thats differnt from cracking it out of a case. Just another thought

Good thought. Here's another. How about if they graded the overall set and then put it in 9 pocket pages (or 8 pocket pages for the '52 thru '56 sets) and were somehow able to seal the pages? That way you could keep it in a binder and still view it.

SGC might not pick up on this idea, but I guarantee you one of the other grading companies will be grading raw sets in the next few years.

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2011304 - 09/26/12 11:19 AM Re: List of things SGC could do in becoming the BEST GC! [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
33rdStreet
addict

I could see that working only issue I see is that pages tend to get old and nasty over time.

How about they develop a nice sturdy storage box (not cardboard) label the set name, number and condition on it and neatly store the cards inside in card savers with a sticker sealing them with the corresponding set name/year/# and condition on them.

Picture a real nice, black, high quality storage box with your SGC registerd set inside ready to be viewed whenever you want one by one.

#2011306 - 09/26/12 12:00 PM Re: List of things SGC could do in becoming the BEST GC! [Re: oneofthree67]
SMtJoy
veteran

Some great ideas everyone. Here are my thoughts-

I think their biggest area to focus on is the registry/pop report. IMO they are already the most consistent at grading and have the best customer service, their biggest area that needs help is the registry. I do know they have some great plans for it but are only on the initial stages. Things I would like to see-

-Linking together- submissions, the registry and the pop reports. Being able to add your cards from a new submission right into your registry with a click. Being able to export our loaded cards in the registry to excel to have custom inventory spreadsheets, based on total collection, set, player, etc. Email notices for changes in all three areas. Database more info on all cards graded like variations like color etc, errors, etc. Users having the ability to enter raw cards/other company graded cards (I just think you should be able to add these but they should not effect the set grades- list the percent of the set that is graded vs other cards in it), purchase date, card cost and current values for all cards in registry.

-Registry recognition for best sets and possibly some reward, think of more ways to promote registry collections.

-One of my dream additions would be if you have a current VCP account then you have a button next to any of your registry cards and can go right to its VCP pricing page, also having this on all submissions would be amazing.

-When I am bidding on auctions I find myself going back and forth between pop reports and VCP on a card, if those could be linked it would be very useful and time saving.

While I don't think having more specials is going to happen and I agree it shouldnt(cheapen product) I do think more targeted specials are needed like-
-Registry targeted specials
-Crossover specials esp 50-70's commons
-Bulk specials
-Modern specials
-Targeted Business growth specials (areas they want to grow)

The other area I really think they should focus on after the registry is on Maketing.

They need to be more active on Facebook, the forums and in the marketplace. I don't think they have the manpower (cant expect Earl and company to do it at night) right now but if they do not want to hire someone then they should outsource it even if it was only for say 4 hours a week I think they would see results (There should be a multiple postings each week). Things like ask the grader, whats new and where is SGC headed are severely lacking or non existent. Getting a monthly specials/show schedule email is not cutting it. Why have we not heard more about the Goodwin T206 Wagner sale- I would have expected to hear more when an SGC graded card sells for $1.2 million.

#2011307 - 09/26/12 12:25 PM Re: List of things SGC could do in becoming the BEST GC! [Re: SMtJoy]
33rdStreet
addict

SMtJoy,

Maybe you should apply for a job! Excellent ideas!!!

#2011337 - 09/27/12 04:43 PM Re: List of things SGC could do in becoming the BEST GC! [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
VANSLYKEFAN18
old hand

Loc: Staten Island, NY

Originally Posted By: vintagetoppsguy
improve the registry

- go back to rewarding the best registry sets
- tailor some specials to benifit set builders
- maybe free grades for the best registry sets each year.

Agree that improving the registry should be there main focus. If they do that, everything else would fall in place. Let me add one other point. I would add give volume (significant) discounts for crossovers. Right now, there are no incentives to cross over for someone setting on a large sum of PSA slabs.

David, agree 1000% on the cross overs.

#2011338 - 09/27/12 04:45 PM Re: List of things SGC could do in becoming the BEST GC! [Re: VANSLYKEFAN18]
VANSLYKEFAN18
old hand

Loc: Staten Island, NY

Scott, amazing ideas as well. Some of these initiatives seem low risk high reward so I hope SGC does listen to these great ideas.
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (estang) and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.