Page all of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2011505 - 10/05/12 03:09 AM COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS
BigRedOne
old hand

Like the Net54 board I know this board is mostly baseball guys. Baseball, Basketball, Non-Sport and heck even Hockey! I have scattered stuff in these areas, but my main collecting focus is Football cards.

Im primarily a raw collector, but I do enjoy the few graded sets Im involved with.

Sets Ive been working(70 thru 89 for decades now)

1955 TOPPS ALL AMERICANS
Ive been working on this set for 3-4 years now.
When I started out my goal was centered 80 EXMT and somehow I ended aquiring 84 NM or better. I still will take a nice centered 80 EXMT.

about the same time I decided to work on a 1957 Topps Football set. Again I started out looking for centered EXMT card but again somehow always seem to escalate to NM or better cards.
I got the Unitas a few years ago. The registration was a bit off, but the card had everything I wanted. nice corners and centered.
Although I knew the card was legit. I sent it to SGC to see what they thought. They graded it an SGC 80 which I think was do to the registration of the card. I removed it from the slab to put back in my raw set. Im very happy with the card.

I posted the Starr and Raymond Berry just recently here on the SGC board.

These two Both came from PSA 7 Holders.

A couple of VERY nice Ebay finds

I still need about 40 cards to complete the set including YA Tittle, "Nighttrain Lane" The Tommy McDonald Rookie. Been having trouble finding nice centered ones lately. Even in PSA and SGC NM slabs.

I got a 1960 Topps Set from "Big Daddy Bowman" Ryan a couple of years back but I haven't got around to scanning the set. I got many very nice cards from Ryan including many of the 57's

For over 30 years Ive been working on my 1970 to 1979 Topps Football sets. My goal is assemble the finest cards in the hobby into these, My childhood sets.

1970 Topps Football Set
At one point I started to have this set graded and then became dissillusioned with the whole TPGing thing and the cost. I broke at least 35 -50 cards back out of the PSA cases and returned them to the raw set.

All of these were cracked back out of PSA 8,9 slabs

You would think that after 30 years that the set would be HISTORY, but NOOOO I still always manage to have a "wantlist" How has Card #47 Dave Osborn managed to avoid caputure for so long?

Gotta run for now. I'll be back with more FOOTBALL!

John

#2011507 - 10/05/12 04:29 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

Although the bulk of those who post on here are more baseball type's I think everyone can appreciate cards like you posted. Those are well centered and sharp!! I love football but my collecting that way is limited to my hometown team (Baltimore). If I ever started a football set it would have to be vintage in nature the only thing that bugs me about football is that it doesn't embrace it's history the way baseball does. That's just an opinion, I prefer the football of my youth, more of a smashmouth rougher game. I know athletes are bigger and stronger now and they have to protect the players but I think it's gone a little far. Every QB throws for 3500 to 5000 yards a year. Easy to set records when you can't be touched!!
#2011508 - 10/05/12 04:58 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: 33rdStreet]
33rdStreet
addict

Those cards are awesome though, centering is dead on and everyone knows how much time it takes to put centered vintage sets together.
#2011509 - 10/05/12 05:27 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

Those are some beautiful cards John. Thanks for sharing your outstanding collection. Looking forward to seeing more.

#2011511 - 10/05/12 06:29 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: trex]
SMtJoy
veteran

Amazing cards John, love those 55 AA's!
#2011512 - 10/05/12 06:59 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: SMtJoy]
Scottish Punk

That 55 all american set really is an awesome set. I also like the retro 2005? set that topps did of it with more modern players in college unis. The 70's cards look great too. If you don't mind me asking, how do you store those raw cards now that they are not in the PSA holders?
#2011513 - 10/05/12 07:44 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: Scottish Punk]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Baseball card guy here but, as others have said, I enjoy looking at everyone's cards. Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2011540 - 10/07/12 09:02 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
BigRedOne
old hand

To answer Scottish Punk's question about storage.

All my sets are stored in 9-pocket pages and albums. I believe that every card set has what I call "A flow", the way each card flows throughout the set with the others as well as the "flow" of the back of the cards as well. I could never give up that "flow" in favor of trying to thumb single cards in top loaders or what have you.

I also liken them to volumes of NFL history in which I can just pick a volume to relive the season history of each volume.

I know there have been debates over the pros and cons of the best way to store ones collection.
The knock on Pages and Albums has always been that the pages tend to sage when stored upright.
I have solved that problem by making snug fitting "dust covers" for each binder. This also keeps on light as well.

In addition to the "dust cover", rigid cardboard inserts are placed throughout the set for more added protection.

I have used this system for many years now and never had the slightest of problems. It is also the most space efficiant way to store as well.
I also want to add that I change out the pages every 5-10 years.

Regardless what PSA or SGC say, those slabs IMHO are actually not the best in terms of card protection. Both allow contact of card edges within the slab which can lead to damage if the card in handled or shakin to much(such as in Shipping).

Card Saver II's are the best choice for me to stored and ship extra cards(doubles). They fit snug and do not allow card movement. There's a reason TPGer request Card sver II's be used to submit cards.

The ABSOLUTE worst thing IMHO are Top Loaders and Penny Sleeves. These two items are responsible for more dinged corners than any supply item in the hobby. Yes I have used them to ship cards in on occassion but extra care is needed not to ding corners when trying to get the card in that penny sleeve. The card can also move and actually slide out of the holder when shipping. I hate them.

But, to each their own! Whatever works best for you and makes you happy.... They are afterall YOUR CARDS!

John

Edited by BigRedOne (10/07/12 09:04 AM)

#2011542 - 10/07/12 10:59 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
33rdStreet
addict

Big redone,

An awesome collection, volumes of NFL history great way to describe it!

#2011544 - 10/07/12 01:48 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: 33rdStreet]
BigRedOne
old hand

33rd

Thanks! It all works out well for me. I can't really see any other way to describe it.

John

#2011546 - 10/07/12 03:12 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

John I absoultely love your passion of Football and Football card collecting! This post is like a breathe of fresh air. I enjoy looking at your cards and the care you take in picking out only the very best for your sets! Great job brother and please keep posting those pics........

Rob
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2011548 - 10/07/12 03:23 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
CTROOP11

Loc: Toronto,Canada

Nice card collection! Nobody cares about hockey? What's the matter with everyone ? Can't skate?! It takes more skill than running with a funny shaped ball!

#2011550 - 10/07/12 03:27 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: CTROOP11]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

.............i guess if the Pope likes it then we all should........LOL

a little light hearted humor .........

Edited by Blackie (10/07/12 03:31 PM)

#2011552 - 10/07/12 03:46 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: Blackie]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Someone told the pope to "Stick it?"
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2011556 - 10/07/12 05:53 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: bbo]
CTROOP11

lol ...love it, miss hockey already!

Edited by CTROOP11 (10/07/12 08:40 PM)
Edit Reason: pic

#2011563 - 10/08/12 08:50 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: CTROOP11]
33rdStreet
addict

Honestly i think the 55 topps hockey are some of the coolest looking cards ever
#2011583 - 10/09/12 03:21 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: 33rdStreet]
BigRedOne
old hand

I have some Hockey cards.

Just wasn't sure I wanted anyone to know.

Kind of like the old saying about Fat girls and Moped's: Their both fun to ride, You just don't want to be seen on them.

And Now My Hockey Card.

I actually have a bunch of late 80's early 90's Hockey I got from my cousin. Mostly Upperdeck.
My cousin was into Hockey cards back then and at some point he out and quite. He basicaly gave me all of his cards. Some factory Sets and such.
How do I get rid of Modern Hockey cards? Burn Pile? or would some actually buy them? LOL

And Now another of my Favorite Football Cards.

What an animal Butkus was on the field. Its a shame they ruined the game by making rules that allow the QB's and Recievers to basically go unchecked, unchallenged or untouched in order to allow them to score more points.

Its really not even true football anymore. I mean come on, Every half ass QB in the league throws for 3000-4000 a year. Not all that hard when the "Peyton Manning" rules completely tie the defenders hands. "Don't touch the QB" FOUL
Roger Staubach was right. The outrageous passing rules have made it a "wussy Game"

No Wussies here:

Mr. Cowboy was as tough as nails. I sure miss when it was real football.

While Im ranting.... There's no way on this earth Drew Brees EVER even approaches Johnny Unitas' 47 game TD record without the comfort afforded him by the rules that allow them to go uncontested in the modern day passing game.
Just surviving 47 games back then was a miracle in itself.

And While Im at.... whats all this runnig out of bounds crap. These guys never ran out of bounds.

EVEN IF THESE CRAZY ANIMALS WERE CHASING THEM!

I suppose Im just bias toward the Old School Football.

John

#2011584 - 10/09/12 03:27 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: CTROOP11]
BigRedOne
old hand

Originally Posted By: CTROOP11
Nice card collection! Nobody cares about hockey? What's the matter with everyone ? Can't skate?! It takes more skill than running with a funny shaped ball!

Dorthey Hamill was a very skilled skater.

#2011587 - 10/09/12 04:56 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
33rdStreet
addict

BigRedOne,

Your couldn't be more correct about the quarterbacks of today. What irritated me about seeing Brees break Johnny Unitas record is hardly any mention of the difference in the rules was mentioned. Brees is a protected species throwing back there and Untias was a hunted Animal!!

#2011589 - 10/09/12 05:32 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
cammb
old hand

Loc: Jamesport, NY

Wow, Mike "the animal" Curtis. This guy would eat raw meat before a game.
#2011593 - 10/09/12 07:36 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

Love that Ben Davidson card, and the Butkus. Butkus was a freaking animal. Man they had some middle linebackers back in the day. Butkus, Nitschke, Joe Schmidt, Sam Huff, Mike Curtis, then a little later Jack Lambert and Willie Lanier. Wasn't Bednarick one of the last, if not the last, to play both offense and defense? He played center and middle linebacker.

Football is sure not the same, Roger is right.

#2011595 - 10/09/12 08:11 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: cammb]
BigRedOne
old hand

That be "Mad Dog" Curtis.

I remember the NFL films Johnny Unitas story. I think it was Bill Curry(the center) that was telling it.

They knocked out Johnny U's front teeth and he came back to the huddle spitting blood out. The guys in the huddle said, "Damn you need to go the hospital" Unitas was dead set on getting even and said "No way", shoved a chunck of sod in his upper lip and threw a touchdown on the next play.

The league just seems to lack the characters that made it special. No mad dogs or Mad storks. No Assassigns, mansters or swanns. No franco's Army,
No Nightrains, Sweetness or Tyler rose's. No Dodgers, Purple People eaters, fearsome Foursomes.
No white Shoes, crazey legs, Mean Joe or Broadway.

I don't know how much more they can tilt the game to give the offense the advantage?

What next? Make it so the defense can only have 10 men on the field?

While it may true that the modern player is bigger and, Stronger? They surely aren't tougher.
And the Heart and Soul these tough guys of the past played with is certainly unmatched. I don't believe todays "Cream Puffs" players are in it for anything more than the money, and you can't really blame them for that. Its just a different time and place.

Speaking of toughness brings to mind Larry Brown, while he don't get any press when the "Greatest Backs" are brought up, He was one of the toughest runners Iv ever seen play. As a Cowboy fan I always hated seeing That Redskin Tandem Of Brown and Harraway come to town.
I still remember that hit Larry brown took in the Super Bowl from that "No Name " defense.

John

#2011597 - 10/09/12 08:48 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

Larry Brown was one tough runner. Didn't he have some sort of hearing defect and had to have a kind of hearing aid/devise installed in his helmet so he could hear in the huddle?

Living in Dallas at the time man I hated to see him and the Redskins come to town.

#2011598 - 10/09/12 09:53 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: trex]
cammb
old hand

Just saw the youtube of Mike Curtis ringing the bell of that fan. Hysterical. I was surprised to find out that he is not in the HOF. Really??
#2011600 - 10/09/12 04:37 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: cammb]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Some great football cards!

aconte

#2011601 - 10/09/12 04:40 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: aconte]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loving looking at all these football cards! Good stuff guys keep the pics coming.

#2011602 - 10/09/12 07:11 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
CTROOP11

Takes more practice skating than running on your feet... ala football. Is it the same game? Hockey players have gotten bigger,faster and stronger, and haven't increased rink size or net size; only rule change is no clutching and grabbing. Even baseball stats haven't changed over time. I think football is just a money grab for owners and the players benefit for 3.2 years.
WHERE'S MY HOCKEY? speaking of greedy owners....

#2011603 - 10/09/12 07:16 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: CTROOP11]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

I did watch a great show about Gordie Howe.......good stuff though I didn't understand a damn thing about the game.

#2011604 - 10/09/12 07:27 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: Blackie]
CTROOP11

Nice GH card ;is it real? if it is it should be graded. Gordie was tough player as well Mr ELBOWS...you should try and play or skate; Also while on skates your depth perception and leverage is different by the 4 inches off the ice you stand.
Practise shooting while standing still on your feet and on skates is very different.

#2011605 - 10/09/12 07:29 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: Blackie]
trex
addict

I once rode my moped with a fat girl on the back to an ice arena to watch a fight and a hockey game broke out.

#2011606 - 10/09/12 07:30 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: CTROOP11]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

I love the agressive nature of hockey. Im trying to get into to as i love sports period.

#2011607 - 10/10/12 03:20 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: Blackie]
BigRedOne
old hand

Toyna Harding would have made a good Hockey player.

#2011611 - 10/10/12 04:56 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
bbo
The Collectinator

I thought she was one.

No, wait, my bad. She either boxed or was a cage fighter for one round. Got beat as I recall.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2011613 - 10/10/12 05:17 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: Blackie]
cammb
old hand

Hockey is the best spectator sport as well as having the toughest players.
#2011616 - 10/10/12 08:44 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: cammb]
hitman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

That 74 Staubach is dynamite. You know I could use that card for my Staubach set!!
#2011618 - 10/10/12 09:58 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: hitman]
gaugman
enthusiast

Vintage football cards are the best. It's like looking at a time capsule, a snapshot into the past. I know you can say that about other sports, but with football it just seems to be more palpable.

Those 1955 topps All Americans are just beautiful.

#2011619 - 10/10/12 10:21 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: gaugman]
33rdStreet
addict

To all the football guys on here if you could pick one vintage set to collect what one would it be?
#2011620 - 10/10/12 10:25 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: 33rdStreet]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Daryl i love the 81 Topps set ... Second choice being the 66 Philly set

#2011621 - 10/10/12 10:39 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: Blackie]
33rdStreet
addict

Thinking of slowly putting one together just need to pick one. No graded cards in this set but nice centered high quality cards. Would be a whole differnt experience for me in the hobby. I've been strictly baseball for 25+ years with some nice vintage Colts every now and then.

Rob,

That choice have anything to do with Montana? Those are nice though and it reminds me of the football packs I opened as a kid.

#2011622 - 10/10/12 10:50 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: 33rdStreet]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

No although i do love the Montana rookie. I remember opening packs as a kid with my granfather. So many memories surround this set.

#2011623 - 10/10/12 11:05 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: 33rdStreet]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: 33rdStreet
Thinking of slowly putting one together just need to pick one. No graded cards in this set but nice centered high quality cards. Would be a whole differnt experience for me in the hobby. I've been strictly baseball for 25+ years with some nice vintage Colts every now and then.

Rob,

That choice have anything to do with Montana? Those are nice though and it reminds me of the football packs I opened as a kid.

I started picking up football cards here a month or so ago. Like you, it is a whole new experience. But I'm having a great time with it. Don't know that I could ever stick doing a complete set, but I'm focused on primarily individual players mainly from the 70's, Staubach and most Cowboys from late 60's thru the 70's, I am also doing a Montana set, from the 80's, and focusing too on some mainly defensive players from the 60's-70's, Butkus, Davidson, Curtis, Lilly, Larry Wilson, Hendricks, Nitschke, Willie Lanier, Deacon Jones etc. sort of the bad boys. Keeping it all raw except for some Staubach's and a few other Cowboys.

Provides a nice break and it's a heck of a lot of fun. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

#2011624 - 10/10/12 12:08 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: trex]
SMtJoy
veteran

I always enjoy all the football cards posted here and have made some purchases because of it. I'm sure I will pickup more in the future too. That said I just dont think I would want to work on a set of any, I am just not interested in a lot of commons.

Here are two of my favorites-

#2011626 - 10/10/12 12:30 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: SMtJoy]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Scott those are sweet!

#2011653 - 10/11/12 03:08 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: cammb]
BigRedOne
old hand

Originally Posted By: cammb
Hockey is the best spectator sport as well as having the toughest players.

Sorry to burst you bubble Cammb. The NFL is Top dog of all the televised sports. Super Bowl is the biggest sporting event in the World.

I admire your passion for your sport, But unfortunately its not even a distant 2nd to the NFL of the spectator sports. It might fall in there somewhere behind MLB, NBA and likely even Nascar. But they are some tough guys for sure.

Hitman: No you can't have my 74 Staubach

Rob(Blackie) Just Started the 1981 Topps set he spoke of to honor the memory of his grandfather which is Awesome! What's the status on the set Rob? you should start a thread for the set so we can track the progress. I almost had you a SGC 10 Russ Francis! It fell through.

As for which set one would like to do?

Well Ive got to many irons in the fire right now, but if I were to start another set I think it would one of the 50's Bowman sets or a 62 Topps Set. There's really no bad choice, as long as its football. the sets are smaller and more managable. I used to do some Baseball, but after the handful of stars it grew old and unexciting looking for 500 or more commons.

I think its great that this thread has sparked a little bit more interest in the ole pigskin!

The 55 All Americans is another Popular set Im still 44 cards short, but Im past the half way point and other than the Knute Rockne and Ernie Nevers I have most of the big cards now.

I just picked up a couple more nice cards for my 57 set as well. Im down to needing 35 cards in this set. The most notable being YA Title, Nighttrain Lane, Hugh McElhenny and the Earl Morrall Rookie.

John

Edited by BigRedOne (10/11/12 03:17 AM)

#2011657 - 10/11/12 06:49 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
gaugman
enthusiast

When I read Cammbís comment that hockey is the best spectator sport, I took it as the best to watch live. I agree with him. IMO, nothing beats being at a hockey game, especially playoff hockey. On TV itís nowhere near the same.

My favorite football sets are from the 50ís. 1955 Topps. 1955 Bowman. 1956 Topps. My wallet canít afford them so I just forget about them. I donít have enough discretionary income to collect both football and baseball. I do have a few sets from the 80ís but they canít compare with the 50ís. Not even close. I do collect ďfront linesĒ from defenses of the 60ís , 70ís and 80ís.

Some are,
1965 Philadelphia - Fearsome Foursome
1975 Topps- Purple People Eaters
1986 Topps- Dent, Hampton, McMichael, and PerryÖ. The 1985 front line from one the greatest defenses ever. Do you remember the nickname given to that defense?

Although I LOVED "the greatest show on turf", I've always been a defense guy.

#2011658 - 10/11/12 07:13 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
cammb
old hand

Sorry but I agree with Gaugman. Hockey is end to end action whereas football has momentary bursts. NFL is the most televised sport but to see a sport live, nothing compares to hockey. The bubble remains intact.
#2011663 - 10/11/12 07:49 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: gaugman]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: gaugman
When I read Cammbís comment that hockey is the best spectator sport, I took it as the best to watch live. I agree with him. IMO, nothing beats being at a hockey game, especially playoff hockey. On TV itís nowhere near the same.

My favorite football sets are from the 50ís. 1955 Topps. 1955 Bowman. 1956 Topps. My wallet canít afford them so I just forget about them. I donít have enough discretionary income to collect both football and baseball. I do have a few sets from the 80ís but they canít compare with the 50ís. Not even close. I do collect ďfront linesĒ from defenses of the 60ís , 70ís and 80ís.

Some are,
1965 Philadelphia - Fearsome Foursome
1975 Topps- Purple People Eaters
1986 Topps- Dent, Hampton, McMichael, and PerryÖ. The 1985 front line from one the greatest defenses ever. Do you remember the nickname given to that defense?

Although I LOVED "the greatest show on turf", I've always been a defense guy.

"Monsters of the Midway"

#2011664 - 10/11/12 08:08 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: trex]
33rdStreet
addict

I think it all depends on the type of fan you are. I can watch a baseball, football or hockey game and enjoy everyone but the type of fan I am has always leaned towards baseball. Baseball has the richest history and embraces there history in ways other sports dont. If I am at a hockey or football game the crowd is generaly more obnoxious, loud and into other things besides the game itself, weather it's the tailgate party, halftime show or the next fight on the ice. At a ball game I relax and usually find someone to talk baseball with.....who's a better hitter, Cabrera or Votto. That sort of thing.

I do love football its my Sunday getaway. It's the whole weeks build up to gameday sort of thing. I just prefer baseball and checking the boxscore every morning is all.

The Hockey games I went to as a kid where all Baltimore Skipjack games. Those were awesome. Faced paced and brutal looking to a 10 year old! I think you have to really play hockey to appreciate it. Most baseball and football fans (myself included) have played those sports in little league, high school, semi pro/legion etc because they were available. How many of us have gotten on skates and try'd a slap shot?

#2011665 - 10/11/12 11:30 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: 33rdStreet]
bbo
The Collectinator

Pac-man on the College satellite channel today said when he watches USC, Oregon or Texas college football, he gets most excited with the sideline shots, because the eye candy at those three schools are the best.

I guess he's never been to Florida State, Florida or any number of SEC schools.

#2011674 - 10/11/12 02:47 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: bbo]
aconte

I rarely buy football cards these days but here is
one I bought a few weeks ago. Heck I haven't bought
much of anything these days so this was nice to
get.

Nice Sports King Scott. Nice 55 All-Americans
and that raw Bednarik looks great too!

#2011688 - 10/11/12 07:00 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: aconte]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

John beautiful 57's! How close are you on that set from being complete?

#2011698 - 10/12/12 02:58 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: Blackie]
BigRedOne
old hand

Im just not a hockey fan and if I was I would have started a Thread called "collecting Hockey Cards"

Rob(Blackie) I belive about 35 Short on the 57's, see my last post for the main cards mising.

I love the Rich history of football and the NFL, which is one of the main reasons I collect football cards in the first place. I believe its history is much more interesting than all the other sports. Which is only natural or else I would be collecting those other sports.

That is a SWEET Elroy Hirsch!

Ive hard talk that many of Jim Brown cards hace old Cadilacs and such in the Backgrounds. That nice looking 64 seems to bear that out.

Thats the other cool thing I like about older cards. The things in the background are sometimes the most interesting aspect of the card.

Take this 71 Larry Stallings for instance.
I find it interesting seeing the old residential housing in the background. This is what is lacking with most of the modern "Shinny chrome" cards. They lack that historical reference in the background.

One of my all-time favorite backgrounds appears on the 1971 Garo Yepremian Rookie Card. Did Garo just pull up in the family wagon in the background and jump out for his topps photo session? Thats classic stuff there boys!

Look at the old church steeple here. Your just not going to see any of these kinds of historical structures on any of these silly "game Used" hoaks of cards.

Now this is interesting. I will have to check the rest of the patriots Cards in my 70 set to see if others had their card photo done with that same church in the background.

Im wondering If Griese and Garo didn't pull up for the same Photo Session?

There are also lots of classic shots of the old stadiums and practice fields that really bring the history to life with these older Football cards.

John

#2011702 - 10/12/12 06:10 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: trex]
gaugman
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: trex
"Monsters of the Midway"

Trex, I loved that team.

I remember following the 83 Bears while they finished the season winning 5 of their last 6. I recall saying to a friend at the end of that season that the Bears will go to the Super Bowl next year.

Those years I gambled a little more then Iím proud to admit and before the 84 season I placed the bet.

They ended up losing in the NFC championship game, but that year I became a big time Bears fan which lasted through the Ditka years.

The following year, that 85 team was the most dominate team Iíve ever seen.

#2011703 - 10/12/12 06:27 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: gaugman]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: gaugman
 Originally Posted By: trex
"Monsters of the Midway"

Trex, I loved that team.

I remember following the 83 Bears while they finished the season winning 5 of their last 6. I recall saying to a friend at the end of that season that the Bears will go to the Super Bowl next year.

Those years I gambled a little more then Iím proud to admit and before the 84 season I placed the bet.

They ended up losing in the NFC championship game, but that year I became a big time Bears fan which lasted through the Ditka years.

The following year, that 85 team was the most dominate team Iíve ever seen.

Yeah, but it was almost more fun watching Ditka and Buddy Ryan on the sidelines.

#2011704 - 10/12/12 06:33 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

Nice post John. Thanks. Like you, I think that's what I like best about the older cards, the background and the history with the background. As a kid I used to make a game out of identifying the baseball parks in the background of the cards. I think my favorite was the 57's and the background of Ebbett's Field.

Not, really football related, but I couldn't help myself.

#2011705 - 10/12/12 06:56 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: trex]
gaugman
enthusiast

Now it would have been interesting if the church in the backround of those Patriots cards had been the Old North Church in Boston where Paul Revere finished his midnight ride.

Not a big fan of the cars and ranch houses in the backround of cards but I do like the stadiums and practice fields.

#2011708 - 10/12/12 08:27 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: gaugman]
aconte

Great post John!

I like the backgrounds on those examples you have shown
and agree with you about those pics.

The 61 Fleer football is cool too. The Eagles
have Franklin field in the background and it
is neat.

aconte

Page all of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (goldenhawk) and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.036 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.