Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2011505 - 10/05/12 03:09 AM COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS
BigRedOne
old hand

Like the Net54 board I know this board is mostly baseball guys. Baseball, Basketball, Non-Sport and heck even Hockey! I have scattered stuff in these areas, but my main collecting focus is Football cards.

Im primarily a raw collector, but I do enjoy the few graded sets Im involved with.

Sets Ive been working(70 thru 89 for decades now)

1955 TOPPS ALL AMERICANS
Ive been working on this set for 3-4 years now.
When I started out my goal was centered 80 EXMT and somehow I ended aquiring 84 NM or better. I still will take a nice centered 80 EXMT.

about the same time I decided to work on a 1957 Topps Football set. Again I started out looking for centered EXMT card but again somehow always seem to escalate to NM or better cards.
I got the Unitas a few years ago. The registration was a bit off, but the card had everything I wanted. nice corners and centered.
Although I knew the card was legit. I sent it to SGC to see what they thought. They graded it an SGC 80 which I think was do to the registration of the card. I removed it from the slab to put back in my raw set. Im very happy with the card.

I posted the Starr and Raymond Berry just recently here on the SGC board.

These two Both came from PSA 7 Holders.

A couple of VERY nice Ebay finds

I still need about 40 cards to complete the set including YA Tittle, "Nighttrain Lane" The Tommy McDonald Rookie. Been having trouble finding nice centered ones lately. Even in PSA and SGC NM slabs.

I got a 1960 Topps Set from "Big Daddy Bowman" Ryan a couple of years back but I haven't got around to scanning the set. I got many very nice cards from Ryan including many of the 57's

For over 30 years Ive been working on my 1970 to 1979 Topps Football sets. My goal is assemble the finest cards in the hobby into these, My childhood sets.

1970 Topps Football Set
At one point I started to have this set graded and then became dissillusioned with the whole TPGing thing and the cost. I broke at least 35 -50 cards back out of the PSA cases and returned them to the raw set.

All of these were cracked back out of PSA 8,9 slabs

You would think that after 30 years that the set would be HISTORY, but NOOOO I still always manage to have a "wantlist" How has Card #47 Dave Osborn managed to avoid caputure for so long?

Gotta run for now. I'll be back with more FOOTBALL!

John

#2011507 - 10/05/12 04:29 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

Although the bulk of those who post on here are more baseball type's I think everyone can appreciate cards like you posted. Those are well centered and sharp!! I love football but my collecting that way is limited to my hometown team (Baltimore). If I ever started a football set it would have to be vintage in nature the only thing that bugs me about football is that it doesn't embrace it's history the way baseball does. That's just an opinion, I prefer the football of my youth, more of a smashmouth rougher game. I know athletes are bigger and stronger now and they have to protect the players but I think it's gone a little far. Every QB throws for 3500 to 5000 yards a year. Easy to set records when you can't be touched!!
#2011508 - 10/05/12 04:58 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: 33rdStreet]
33rdStreet
addict

Those cards are awesome though, centering is dead on and everyone knows how much time it takes to put centered vintage sets together.
#2011509 - 10/05/12 05:27 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

Those are some beautiful cards John. Thanks for sharing your outstanding collection. Looking forward to seeing more.

#2011511 - 10/05/12 06:29 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: trex]
SMtJoy
veteran

Amazing cards John, love those 55 AA's!
#2011512 - 10/05/12 06:59 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: SMtJoy]
Scottish Punk

That 55 all american set really is an awesome set. I also like the retro 2005? set that topps did of it with more modern players in college unis. The 70's cards look great too. If you don't mind me asking, how do you store those raw cards now that they are not in the PSA holders?
#2011513 - 10/05/12 07:44 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: Scottish Punk]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Baseball card guy here but, as others have said, I enjoy looking at everyone's cards. Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2011540 - 10/07/12 09:02 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
BigRedOne
old hand

To answer Scottish Punk's question about storage.

All my sets are stored in 9-pocket pages and albums. I believe that every card set has what I call "A flow", the way each card flows throughout the set with the others as well as the "flow" of the back of the cards as well. I could never give up that "flow" in favor of trying to thumb single cards in top loaders or what have you.

I also liken them to volumes of NFL history in which I can just pick a volume to relive the season history of each volume.

I know there have been debates over the pros and cons of the best way to store ones collection.
The knock on Pages and Albums has always been that the pages tend to sage when stored upright.
I have solved that problem by making snug fitting "dust covers" for each binder. This also keeps on light as well.

In addition to the "dust cover", rigid cardboard inserts are placed throughout the set for more added protection.

I have used this system for many years now and never had the slightest of problems. It is also the most space efficiant way to store as well.
I also want to add that I change out the pages every 5-10 years.

Regardless what PSA or SGC say, those slabs IMHO are actually not the best in terms of card protection. Both allow contact of card edges within the slab which can lead to damage if the card in handled or shakin to much(such as in Shipping).

Card Saver II's are the best choice for me to stored and ship extra cards(doubles). They fit snug and do not allow card movement. There's a reason TPGer request Card sver II's be used to submit cards.

The ABSOLUTE worst thing IMHO are Top Loaders and Penny Sleeves. These two items are responsible for more dinged corners than any supply item in the hobby. Yes I have used them to ship cards in on occassion but extra care is needed not to ding corners when trying to get the card in that penny sleeve. The card can also move and actually slide out of the holder when shipping. I hate them.

But, to each their own! Whatever works best for you and makes you happy.... They are afterall YOUR CARDS!

John

Edited by BigRedOne (10/07/12 09:04 AM)

#2011542 - 10/07/12 10:59 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
33rdStreet
addict

Big redone,

An awesome collection, volumes of NFL history great way to describe it!

#2011544 - 10/07/12 01:48 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: 33rdStreet]
BigRedOne
old hand

33rd

Thanks! It all works out well for me. I can't really see any other way to describe it.

John

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.